Thanksgiving Pies

heidiiiii

I did something different.

I made a sweet potato pie with a pecan pie type top on it. Ooey and Gooey Pecan pie crust on top of smooth and silky sweet potato..It just looks good!

I love pecan pie but it is just too sweet for me. This was a alternative.

Before we went into town to watch DS#2 & his wife run in the Turkey Trot 5k I helped the DIL shell pecans for the pies she wanted to make for DS#1. When we got home, he was supposedly shelling pecans, and this was like three hours later! So I started to help, when I noticed over half the broken shells still had nutmeats in them! As I finished picking nearly another 1/4 cup from those broken shells I made one of my "shut up, MIL" comments that the next time DS wanted pecan pie, let HIM shell the pecans proberly, or do without. Someday I'll learn...

I love pumpkin even though I never bake pies, but if I make anything with pumpkin, I usually make a pumpkin mix with the vanilla pudding mix and layer it on cream cheese/Coolwhip mix in summer and serve it cold. I did just find this though - not sure how it tastes cause I haven't tried it out yet, but it seems simple enough for even me to make:

http://noblepig.com/2008/11/11/the-pilgrim...ld-approve.aspx

Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

For the Cake:

1 Yellow Cake Mix

1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree

For the Glaze:

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar

3 Tablespoons apple cider

3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Empty the contents of the boxed cake mix and pumpkin puree into a large bowl. Using a hand-mixer or stand mixer beat until well incorporated. The batter will be very thick, but will come together nicely.

Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 X 2 pan. This is the small, rectangular-sized pan from your Pyrex set. You know, the set you had to have when you got married and rarely ever used all the pieces. Finally, you have a use for it.

Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.

Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then flip onto a platter.

Make the glaze while you're waiting.

Combine powdered sugar, apple cider and pumpkin pie spice. Glaze should be thick but pourable. Add more sugar or cider if needed. Pour over the cake while still warm. Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.

Serve warm or room temperature.

Mmmm..all these pies are making me hungry.

I love Chocolate Chess Pie. It tastes like a half-cooked brownie to me, which I love under-done brownies. Disgusting sounding, I know, but so good.

You guys mentioned cheese. In my family a slice a cheese on a piece of applie pie is essential. I don't eat it with my apple pie, but my mom and dad always did.

My sister made the pies. She had pumpkin and chocolate and then I had a slice of apple later. I have to make pumpkin Sunday if I'm feeling better. I have a bad chest cold. I made the steamed pudding, though. I was trying for find a cooking time online because my gram's old recipe didn't have it and I only make it a few times a year. I laughed because most websites say we don't eat steamed puddings in North America. I hate to break it to them, but my family in PA has been eating them for generations.

I've been hungry for a shoo-fly pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream but nobody really cares for it but me.