Reading

Minis On The Edge

I was wondering if anyone here has a "Kindle" It is a Wireless reading device that holds about 200 books on it and is light weighing only 10 ounces. I have been wanting one, but want to wait till the prices go down. I wanted to know if anyone has one and is it really worth it.

I was wondering if anyone here has a "Kindle" It is a Wireless reading device that holds about 200 books on it and is light weighing only 10 ounces. I have been wanting one, but want to wait till the prices go down. I wanted to know if anyone has one and is it really worth it.

I don't have one but, the audience on Oprah was thrilled when she gave them one a few weeks back. She loves it. I was thinking it would be nice for my nursing text books It would be awesome if they made it cheaper for students

I do like the idea of this small thing holding 100 books (I won't have to have so much "paper" around here :D I am a Big time reader!! Here is the link to it for those who don't know what it is. I know I can't afford one now. I just was wondering if anyone has one and how the feel about it.

Yeah, imagine if our poor middle and high schoolers didn't have to haul around 10 books on their backs! It'd be great if they could download their text books! I'd love one, but not at $350! Actually, probably not even at $150! I'm pretty much a cheapskate!

An avid reader at my office has one - she loves it.

I don't have a Kindle, but I have the Sony eBook or eReader. Honestly, I haven't used it yet other then downloading some free classics I got when I Signed up with the sony site. The book I'm reading now they don't have available in e-book format :D Otherwise, I think I would like it very much. It sure saves having to lug a book around and is much lighter too!

Christine

Yeah, imagine if our poor middle and high schoolers didn't have to haul around 10 books on their backs! It'd be great if they could download their text books! I'd love one, but not at $350! Actually, probably not even at $150! I'm pretty much a cheapskate!

An avid reader at my office has one - she loves it.

350 is actually a lowered price I looked into them when they first came out and they wanted 550!

:D

It's a little out of my price range right now, but I love the idea! I like that you can download a book at any time, and change the font size. I like bigger print books, because my eyes aren't what they used to be. :D I will for sure keep this in mind for someday and hope the price comes down some more. :p

Sorry to be a weenie, but I'm a bibliophile. I love the look of a book, its elegance, the feel of the binding and paper in & under my hands as I turn the pages to read. I'm sure the Kindle has its place & uses, just like parenteral nutrition...

Love the idea. I love to read and ALWAYS have a book around somewhere. Something like this would let me broaden my library and read books that are different. I am always reading the same ones over and over.

What's the cost to down load a book?

Terri

Sorry to be a weenie, but I'm a bibliophile. I love the look of a book, its elegance, the feel of the binding and paper in & under my hands as I turn the pages to read.
I do, too, Holly. When I was publishing books, I took care to use acid-free materials, nice covers, etc. But buying new hardcover books can be prohibitive. I classify the Kindle along with paperbacks -- a way to deliver information. Any presentation that gets someone reading is just fine. :p

What's the cost to down load a book?
I did a quick check on amazon.com. The prices I saw were around $10. You'd pay as much or more for a new paperback these days.

Lloyd was asking me yesterday what I'd like for Christmas. The ol' sweetie is getting so much enjoyment out of the bread machine that he doesn't count it as my Christmas present. I like the way the man thinks. Anyway ... I'm tempted to ask for a Kindle.

I understand that the "next generation" of the Kindle will have many improvements over the current version...including a lower price.

There was a day when I would have JUMPED on this. I have a huge personal library. I'm one of those, though, that need the smell and feel of a book to really enjoy it..but I can see where this would be great for stuff like the popular fiction that I'd read and throw away. I'd still buy classics in book form, though.

I have one but I don't use it very much. It was a birthday gift from my godparents. When I used to stay with them in the summers, I'd always be lugging around 20-30 books; they thought a Kindle would be able to replace my book suitcase.

I work in a library and I've got a lot of friends in publishing so I mostly read new releases. If I really love a book, I'll download it when the e-version comes out a few months later. But I tend to love non-mainstream books so there are very few of my loves that are available for the Kindle.

I'm a total bibliophile anyway. The idea that some little plastic thing is going to replace my bookshelves or my library totally offends me. There's nothing I love more than just staring at all the glossy covers and soft pages of my book collection :p

Edited by Alais

I thank God for all those people who still go out and buy NEW hardcover books, because when they're through they donate them to Good Will & other thrift stores, where DH & I come along & buy them! Or sell them to used bookstores for us to find. Or the publishers unload their remainders to Book Sale, etc.

Another problem I'd have is that I read EVERYWHERE, and I don't think a Kindle would dry out as easily after I'd dripped a little bathwater on it.

Probably not, Holly.

$10 to download something that I'd read several times anyway? Not too bad. But if it was a book I was dying to read...like the sixth and seventh Harry Potter books, I'd buy the book anyway. I just can't stand waiting for a paperback or any other form of a book when it's available in some form. But something like those books I would do both.

Sorry, I'm a Harry Potter fanatic. Got to go watch the 4th and 5th movies though. I end up picking them apart though...that's what I get for reading the books first.

Terri

I had not seen these but as with other electronic gadgets the price usually drops after it's been out awhile. I would think this is something that would be handy for time you can't lug books around. It would be worth it if the price drops. I wonder why this costs more to download than movies or music online?

Sorry, I'm a Harry Potter fanatic. Got to go watch the 4th and 5th movies though. I end up picking them apart though...that's what I get for reading the books first.

*points to avatar* Me too. :yes: I should be getting ready to go see "Half Blood Prince" this weekend but instead have to wait until July. !#$% writers strike or should I curse Warner Brothers who pushed it back. But I'll be contented with the new JK Rowling book next month and hoping someone will leak the movie online one of these days.

The Kindle is a great idea for college students. My back is killed because of lugging books around in undergrad. This would be killer if you could download your textbooks onto it. I'd love one, but they're too much. What I'd like to know is if you can download public domain ebooks for free like other electronic readers allow you to do. I'll hold out until I see the new version in 2009 and how it holds up. But I am keeping my eye on it and have been for months.

Is it this one? I keep getting emails from Amazon about it along with about 15 other books:

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Beedle-Bard-St...3902&sr=8-1

or the real collector edition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/095601090...rd_i=0545128285

Yes, that's it. It's the one that Dumbledore left to Hermione in his will. We get to read it. It comes out December 4th. I'd love the Collector's Edition, but can't afford it.

Corwin, have you read the textbooks JK Rowling wrote a few years ago. I'm surprised at the number of HP fans who have never read them. I love them. I can't wait until she publishes "The Scottish Book", the current name of her notes she's going to publish for HP. But she said it will be a few years before that gets done.

Yup i have the quttich one and the one about the creatures? I still have them, i have a bunch of origanals starting at book 4, lost book five got a 2nd addition, as a gift, it doesn't matter to me but I need to read them when they come out! :yes: