MY WILLOWCREST HAS ARRIVED!

Ms. Mini

WHOO HOOO! my dream dollhouse has arrived!!! I swear one of these days my fiance is gonna kick me out on the curb one of these days! Seems like all he says now is "Where did THIS house come from!" "haha I swear I didnt order THAT one babe"... hahaha but after saying that 4 times now I dont think he believes me anymore! :( I just HAD to get the WIllowcrest, i've been drooling over it for AGES.. I had to have one. SO now its sititng here smiling at me :) Now if i can find some room/time to build it! i have my garfield and conventry cottage staring at me wanting tobe worked on!! O dear what to do what to do? I'm just so happy its here! ;)

-Jenny

post-9-1141971273.gifpost-9-1141971273.gifpost-9-1141971273.gif

wooohooo Happy New House Dance!!!

and a Willowcrest to boot!!

that is my favorite house of all time!

I have some photos on my webshots of my building process that may help you when you are ready!

and I painted that house a deep purple with white trim!

LOVE IT!

congartulations!

nutti :)

You know what? I was gonna post about your pics in my first entry on this post.. Your pics of how you built the willowcrest made me want one SO badly! I look at your pics of that House ALL thing time. Its truly an inspiration. you did such a wonderul job!

you are too kind!

that was the 2nd house I built and the one I enjoyed the most....the Glencroft follows close behind.

do you know I got that house off e-bay for under 50$

I just bid on it coz no one else did and I won it!

I didnt nessisarily want to build it. so when I won it I decided to give it to my friend....little did I know how much I would love it. DH thought I wouldnt be able to give it up. and it was hard

but they love it so much that it made it ok.

Im looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

you are too kind!

that was the 2nd house I built and the one I enjoyed the most....the Glencroft follows close behind.

do you know I got that house off e-bay for under 50$

I just bid on it coz no one else did and I won it!

I didnt nessisarily want to build it. so when I won it I decided to give it to my friend....little did I know how much I would love it. DH thought I wouldnt be able to give it up. and it was hard

but they love it so much that it made it ok.

Im looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

WOW under 50?? I paid 100 for it but I HAD to have it. I won mine off ebay as well.. Ya I probably wont be able to start on it right away since I gotta make room for it first! But after posting about how much i wanted to start on it i was inspired to work more on my Coventry Cottage. SO I put a good 2 hours worth of work into it tonight :)

Im getting ready to do some work on my coventry tonight also.

want to start painting the window trims and shutters and build the window box.

now Im off to look at yours to see the changes from yellow to purple!

I think i'm going to do a dark forest green. If not, I'm going to stick with the color it shows on the box (light blue). But make it a little darker I think.

Forest green would be lovely! (like i said, i love dark colors...earth tones as well)...I am thinking about some shade of purple or deep blue for mine....not sure yet! The dark color with the white trim is just so striking to look at!

Forest green would be lovely! (like i said, i love dark colors...earth tones as well)...I am thinking about some shade of purple or deep blue for mine....not sure yet! The dark color with the white trim is just so striking to look at!

First finish your Garfield and Coventry before even beginning the Willowcrest. Your work is cut out for you! Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
post-9-1141971273.gifpost-9-1141971273.gifpost-9-1141971273.gif

wooohooo Happy New House Dance!!!

and a Willowcrest to boot!!

that is my favorite house of all time!

I have some photos on my webshots of my building process that may help you when you are ready!

and I painted that house a deep purple with white trim!

LOVE IT!

congartulations!

Hi Nutti! My name is Cathy and I just recently joined the forum. I have a Willowcrest that has been in my attic since 1992 and I finally have the time to build it. This is my first dh and I am about 1/3 of the way into it. I wanted to let you know that I saw your pictures of the willowcrest and you inspired me to do something different with the bathroom. I loved your idea about putting the toilet under the stairs since the bathroom is so very small. Although I didn't put the toilet in there, I did change the plan and am putting in a built in "bookshelf" for toiletries and stuff. Until I saw your pictures, it never occurred to me to change the plan in any way. As I said, this is my first dh and in the beginning, I was scared to death. Greenleaf doesn't supply much in the way of pictures and I had a hard time trying to imagine how things would look. Because of the change in the bathroom, it also inspired me to change the kitchen fireplace to a see thru one. As soon as I have some good pictures, I will post them. Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration!

Cathy

Hi Nutti! My name is Cathy and I just recently joined the forum. I have a Willowcrest that has been in my attic since 1992 and I finally have the time to build it. This is my first dh and I am about 1/3 of the way into it. I wanted to let you know that I saw your pictures of the willowcrest and you inspired me to do something different with the bathroom. I loved your idea about putting the toilet under the stairs since the bathroom is so very small. Although I didn't put the toilet in there, I did change the plan and am putting in a built in "bookshelf" for toiletries and stuff. Until I saw your pictures, it never occurred to me to change the plan in any way. As I said, this is my first dh and in the beginning, I was scared to death. Greenleaf doesn't supply much in the way of pictures and I had a hard time trying to imagine how things would look. Because of the change in the bathroom, it also inspired me to change the kitchen fireplace to a see thru one. As soon as I have some good pictures, I will post them. Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration!

Cathy

you are so kind!

I love the Willowcrest and I am including some links for you to be inspired!

http://www.madiganhouse.com/new_haunted_house.htm

http://www.oneluckybug.com/willowcrest.html

http://www.miniaturesbyjune.com/junesdollhouse.html

I met this incredibly talented woman at the Tom Bishop show.

http://community.webshots.com/album/150089844OhiNkZ

http://www.browsermall.com/dollhouse/Dollh...ondShowcase.htm

http://community.webshots.com/album/222077081hizphJ

http://www.homestead.com/davesminiplace/dollhouse2.html ---scroll down to bottom

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/campbelld54/houses10.html

http://community.webshots.com/album/142128071RjqXvL

these are all I could find at the moment!

Im looking forward to see your photos!

First finish your Garfield and Coventry before even beginning the Willowcrest. Your work is cut out for you! Enjoy.

Actually I'm building the Garfield and Marg's Coventry is safely in it's box, I'm pretty sure there's a Coventry, there's at least 1 of most kits around here. :lol: Marg's working on the Harritage and the Grosvenor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok big news! the Willowcrest box has made it up to my work bench! which means... "drum roll please" I shall begin stanning the wood flooring this weekend! yay! happy dance! this is going to be my best house yet! but i think i say that everytime. hahah

anyways this will be my first time staininng wood floors. any tips?

this will be my first time staininng wood floors. any tips?

Congratulations, Jenny :D . If you're going to scribe floorboards into the wood, I do that before staining. The stain gets into the lines & brings them out. When I used brush-on (fluid) stains I did a coat and wiped it down whilst wet with a soft rag until I got the color I wanted. I prefer gel stains, which I apply with the aforementioned rag. Once the stain is dry I give it a sand with a fairly fine-grit sandpaper or brown paper grocery bag. If I want it to look like the floors in my house I stop there. If you want a glossier shine you can use a clear sealer/ varnish on it. If I remember, I take pictures of the process; I do take pictures of the finished floors :D

I know when I first joined the mods here recommended not staining the luan since the grain is way out of scale. You can get pre-done flooring that's ready for staining pretty cheaply, that's prolly a way to go. If you really want to stain the luan I'd try a piece of the scrap sheet wood first to see how evenly it stains. Some woods take stain so unevenly it looks like you did a bad job no matter how good your work is. It has to do with tannins and resins in the wood, some absorb stain, some repel it, so the stain jobs looks horrifically patchy. Pine is notorious for it. However all is not lost. You can really even out the job with a spit coat (or sealer coat) of a clear. If fumes are an issue (they are for me) you could use really thinned down Future. Let it dry, then sand to almost nothing, it won't take much sanding since it's a tres thin coat. In fact if you thin it down to the consistency of water I'd just go over it with 4-0 steel wool to ensure it's real smooth. The idea is to fill the pores in the wood. This will really help even out a staining job.

I know when I first joined the mods here recommended not staining the luan since the grain is way out of scale.

This mod didn't make that suggestion, and I stain my floors in every house I make. Is it perfect? No. Is it pretty? Yes. And it's easy. And if I don't like it, I can cover it up with carpet or linoleum or other flooring.

This mod didn't make that suggestion, and I stain my floors in every house I make. Is it perfect? No. Is it pretty? Yes. And it's easy. And if I don't like it, I can cover it up with carpet or linoleum or other flooring.

Good to know, can't remember who did, but remember it clearly. Anyway, the spit coat technique does work to even out staining jobs if anyone's interested.

I dont know who would have said not to stain the floors.

I always stain and seal mine first thing!

than when Im done with the walls and such I will decide if I need carpeting or othery type of floorings.

I really like Holly's method of scribing first...looks so nice. although I have not tried it yet.

I really am looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing how its going for you!

LOVE the Willowcrest!

nutti :D

I dont know who would have said not to stain the floors.

I always stain and seal mine first thing!

than when Im done with the walls and such I will decide if I need carpeting or othery type of floorings.

I really like Holly's method of scribing first...looks so nice. although I have not tried it yet.

I really am looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing how its going for you!

LOVE the Willowcrest!

nutti :D

Thread's still there in introductions.

Thanks Linda and Havanaholly that was the kind of encouragement I needed! I'm really excited, In fact I cant wait to go get my stain tomorrow! And I plan to take step by step pics like i did with my garfield for you all to see! This is my favorite house and Ive been wanting to build it forever, i cant wait!!

the mods here recommended not staining the luan since the grain is way out of scale.

I haven't ever seen anyone NOT recommend staining the luan because of scale issues, unless you're doing 1:24 or 1:48 scale. Compared to my pine board 1:1 boards on the floors I stand on, the grain looks fine for scale. Ditto the stain coverage, some of the 1:1 floors look uneven in color. Some of it's wear & tear in RL.