There's PC

Intrinsicat

Our community has a monthly newsletter which includes editorials. Some guy just wrote in complaining about the two Civil-era cannons that adorn the entrance-way of the community. Hello? Gettysburg??? He says they are a means of killing people, they have killed people and we shouldn't glorify them. I'm sorry, but IMHO that's like saying the cross was the means of torture and death for Christ, so lets get rid of all the crosses too. Am I wrong here? There is so much out there more important than yard ornamentation... I'll understand if this topic gets deleted, I don't mean to open a can of worms, I was just absolutely dumbstruck by this editorial....

Im with you heidi. And its a CHRISTMAS TREE! Not a holiday tree. I can understand saying happy holidays because theres more than one going on around this time of year but not all faiths decorate trees so why should trees be PC as well? Its really getting out of hand. :congrats: and besides, O Holiday Tree doesnt have the same ring to it... :cheer:

Merry Christmas! I say Happy Holidays to cover Christmas and New Years, not to take away from MY feelings or MY representation of the holidays. ie: Christmas. I still say Merry Christmas even if it isn't PC.

Now if the cannons had been somewhere other than gettysburg it may seem weird, but i think it's cool actually ;) they guy just needs to move.

as for me, I have given up trying to be PC......a rose is a rose...take it or leave it.....I refuse to spend what is left in my lifetime by cowering in the corner because someone else has decided they don't want to face reality....

ps....sorry if I offended anyone....

Elicia

shamefaced in South Carolina....

can hear mother and father rolling over in graves....brrrr....not a pleasant sound.....

Being PC has always frustrated me. People just need to get thicker skin, we waste too much time and energy on that junk. I almost always say Merry Christmas. And last year when I worked retail during the holiday shopping season only ONE person said "Merry Christmas" to me. I was so surprised it took me a second to respond, but I was so grateful for it! I often feel like I am stepping on toes in this super-PC-conscious town, and it was nice to see someone who said what they wanted without fear of getting a talking-to by some random person on the street.

There are times to be pc, and times where a spade is a spade. I was raised in a state where many government meetings are still opened with a (do I dare say it?) prayer. It's my opinion that the pc and separation of church and state, which is where it all started from, can't offend someone by saying a prayer, has been taken way too far.

That guy just needs to get a life and realize that the cannons aren't there to glorify war, but to remember our history, and a sad part of it too. Maybe he needs to visit the south and see all the things there about the civil war.

Ya know I think it's funny that people are using the constitution as a way to say that people are wrong for praying in school, or saying the pledge of allegience, when it's the constitution that gives them the right to say someone is wrong.

Get it through your heads people (not talking about you guys, you have more sense, but the country in general) separation of church and state is so there's not a government run religion. Freedom of religion is the first freedom in the bill of rights.

Terri

ps take a moment to remember, again, those who have stood, and stand in our country's uniform and said "I will defend our rights, because freedom isn't free."

I'm still trying to figure why it's politically incorrect to wish a Merry Christmas. I wish my friends holiday joy according to which holiday I know they celebrate, and since MY holiday is Christmas, that's what I wish those whose holiday preference I don't know. Our Ba'Hai ophthamologist always wishes me a Merry Christmas, as do our Hindu friends. Go, DIVERSITY!

As my sign-in name indicates, I'm not a Christmas person; I find it very emotionally difficult to be in stores this time of year and try to hibernate from T'giving through New Year's. But I'm not about to go storming into the township offices and demand that the Christmas trees be removed from the lobby of the Post Office. Or that Christmas carols not be broadcast in the park. People I know well get Merry Christmas; others get Happy Holidays.

I'm also not going to make a fuss over the Pledge of Allegiance, complete with 'under God', that opens every township meeting. [i try to be a tolerant atheist.]

I used to live in a town that contained a statue of a Confederate soldier, which statue upset untold numbers of people who thought it sanctioned slavery and should be removed. And even more people got up in arms when a shop facade was taken down and there was enough faint lettering on the brick behind the facade to identify the building as a slave auction site. So the building's 200 years old and who knows how many other lives it had.........tear it down. No. It's history, it's our history, not necessarily pleasant, but we need to learn from it, not try to eradicate any part of it that annoys some of us.

And if the members of the local chapter of the VFW want to fire off the canon in the park on July 4, who is more entitled?

I suppose if that canon guy had seen in my childhood park the big statute of the fireman rescuing a baby, he'd think it glorified arson.

Bah Humbug to all and to all a good night. ;)

I agree with everything said. I get so frustrated sometimes about being pc that I simply don't say anything and then I feel worse than had I said something not pc. Merry Christmas to those that celebrate Christmas and Happy Holidays to those that don't.

Why should people be offended that I am wishing them a Merry Christmas? It is MY faith and beliefs showing not theirs. They can always reply with Happy Holidays if they don't believe in Christmas.

As for the guy and the canons? He needs to get a life.

There was this guy that wanted to sue a local town because they allowed the local church to play Christmas music and church bells. He said he should not have to hear that because he was atheist. The town should not allow it cause..I dont know..basically he was laughed out of court.

You are short! ....vertically challenged.

I do not want to get into all of them but OMG! I hate it. And Natalie and Chelsea (most teenagers and kids are like this I found out) like to point out the stuff we adults SAY that is incorrect.

We were talking about something and the subject of the Department of Mental Retardation came up (DMR). OMG..Mom you cant say Retardation! That is a bad word...blahblahblahblah. I told them to get a life. LOL

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear it's not just me. I thought about writing a rebuttal editorial, but honestly, as a few of you pointed out, he doesn't need any more attention than he's already received. My dad was a town manager years ago, he said this cannon issue is NOTHING compared to what some of the crazies in town requested. I don't think I could have handled that!

I agree! PC is an irritation.

SC has a long checkered past, but I am so tired of hearing both extremes screaming on the issues that have molded our state. I can't look back through my ancestry and find one particular grandparent to chose to agree with, even if I felt I should. I have Rev Patriot/Brit Loyalist/Confed/WW2/German/Black/Indian individuals strewn through my genetic make up. Each had a story and dealt with the problems of their time. They were what they were...I have nothing to apologize for!

For the holidays? I guess I don't look at the season so much as the day. Happy Hanukah! Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Christmas, Happy New Years, Happy MLK/Happy Confed Memorial day, Happy Memorial day, etc. My major misery is having to hear Christmas songs in stores in October. I celebrate Christmas, but I have respect for other holidays. We have Christmas trees up in our Main library. Our branch is really too small, but we have poinsettias and small holiday decorations.

:D

Some people just take this PC thing WAY too far! Now, I certainly respect everyone's right to choose whatever religion/etc they wish, and I understand that no group wants to be treated badly. However, when someone says Merry Christmas or any other standard holiday greeting, isn't that essentially giving the other person good wishes? I see it as similar to wishing someone a good day. If someone says Happy Hanukah to me, I smile and say thank you even though I am not Jewish, because they are being kind and wishing me the best. That's just my two cents.

How dare you! I am not fat! I am Krispy Kreme challenged!

What? Not Dunkin' Donuts? Just joking, Heidi. I love Krispy Kreme, too. Wish they had a store here. I was raised in NC where KK is based.

You ARE funny, Heidi. I'm not fat either...I'm just TGIFriday's frozen Tater Skins challenged.

Terri

PC is garbage if you ask me. It is just something to drive people crazy because they have to REALLY think before they speak. OMG! I said something that somebody else does not like.

I think people take PC way too far. Those cannons do not glorify war but remind people of the price some paid (their lives) for the freedom that people now have. Freedom that is slowly being taken away again because of all the PC mumbo jumbo.

And I always say Merry Christmas. I celebrate Christmas and I am wishing others well. Regardless of what they celebrate.