What do I want for Christmas?

heidiiiii

The family is NOW asking me what I want for Christmas..(dont even get me started on my birthday).I have no clue. I am sitting here with a notepad and pen. I have that video game on the top of the list. Then I draw a major blank. :D:)

* I am not going to put minis on the list because that is MY thing. I do not want a mini gift certificate..no minis from them. I am more of a Oh gotta have that! when I see it in regards to minis...So that is not an option in my book.*

What do you say to someone when they ask you this question?

Right now I am asking you collectively.."What do you want for Christmas this year?" If you say peace on earth or your love, your gonna get a sock in your mouth..ROFL

Seriously..Does this mean I have no wants? Does this mean that I have denied myself so long that I am accustomed to doing without?

Do you want to know what makes me happy on Christmas (or any gift giving day)? Watching other people open THEIR gifts. I like to see their happiness and reactions. That is the one gift I wait for every year. Sappy? Yes. But it is the truth.

How am I able to give the perfect gift? I am a watcher. I watch and listen to people all year long. I file it away in the back of my brain. Fred has been pining over these EXPENSIVE watches at the pawn shop all year. Every Friday we go in there to look around and he bee-line to the watch case. Never says anything about it. Never buys one. Guess what I got him for Christmas?

Yes, it is from a pawn shop and was used. BUT it is an expensive watch (no scratches, no dings, I had it cleaned)..and I bought it for a pittance. He will probably do a jig in the livingroom.

So I am on a deadline.....They are going shopping tomorrow morning...ticktickticktick.

Crap! I do not know!

I just refuse to give specifics when asked "What do you want for your birhtday/Christmas etc?" If I have to specifically tell them then I can just go out and buy it for myself. I refuse to shop for others off a list also. When did this tradition start anyway? Isn't a gift supposed to be somethng that the giver is expressing how special they think the recepient is? Doesn't shopping off a list make the occassion just a materialistic day? Not a specail occassion If asked, I give hints. I list my hobbies (sewing, mini's, photography) and a few specifics like best store to shop for that catagory and a few general hints. For sewing I mght put "notions". It is up to the giver to look and decide for themselves. I would rather have a package of sewing machine needles as a gift because the giver spent sometime going to the store and attempting to get me something that they thought I liked/needed than something I "demanded" (which is what lists come accross as to me)." Hope this doesn't hurt feelings or sound like criticism to those of you who use this system for gift giving. it just doesn't work for me. Rita

Well since one brother has been laid off and can't locate another job and the other is barely making it my mom told them not to buy gifts.. I always get one brother fishing lures.. He LOVES to fish..

The other one I got a cool weather thingiie... My other brother got my mom one for christmas several years ago and it gives the temp and time and also the weather for the day.. anyways the other brother loved it so I got him one this year...mom is going to get something to do with sewing maybe a embroidery pillow cases.. SHe loves them and dad I usually get him a gift card.. He is hard to buy for lol

I have to go along with the hint dropping idea. I usually just say...anything mini is fine. As for my in-laws..well last year really brought to light how these people can be so we have opted out of any git exchanges. What they did was just have everyone buy a gift specific to their gender. Simply labeling them gal or guy. Then all the gifts were placed in the middle of the room and everyone instructed to take one, not their own, gender specific. After everyone received and opened a gift, they started with the oldest person in the room and allowed them to switch gifts with someone else if they so desired. Well, long fiasco short my daughter and I ended up coming home with the gifts I had purchased for the exchange. At the time it happened neither of us said anything because we were both so disgusted by how the others acted. So this year I told my SIL that we would not be participating. We did get my FiL a cast iron bell to hang on his fence alongside his other bells. I loves stuff like that. MiL is out of the country so we won't even go there..LOL.

Well, how about something that you need/want that you wouldn't necessarily think of buying for yourself normally? I know, that sounded weird, but like Eric and I were talking a while back, and he mentioned that he might like to start wearing a bathrobe, but never remembered to snag one when we go clothes shopping for him. Ok, I can run with that! Or for me, my computer speakers are starting to go poof, and I never remember to look when I am out shopping. Winter boots/coat? Nice warm jammies? An electric throw for when you are snuggled on the couch relaxing? A GPS since you are now driving all over heck and creation?

A GPS since you are now driving all over heck and creation?

They get stolen ALOT around here. Not an item to have in your car if you like having your side windows intact.

I do not want them to buy me minis because that is something I like to do. I am like many of you and I am very particular with what I want. If I just point out something in the catalog, it wont be any fun opening it..."eh, ya, thanks, the gift I told you to get me. woohoo." ROFL

The year Fred bought me the Kitchen Aide Mixer was THE best. He got the right color, he bought the big fancy smanshy one..He knew I wanted one but I would never ask for it.

That is what I want for Christmas. A nice big surprise!

I know what you mean, Heidi!

One year I had thought to myself "Wouldn't it be fantastic if someone bought me a sewing machine?" (Ours had died long before and I'd been sewing 1/6th doll clothing by hand for months.) But I figured that wasn't very likely!

Well, guess what I got for Christmas! I hadn't told a soul, but they figured it out! My mom had felt so bad hiding it because they'd had it while I slaved away hand stitching something!

The family has bugged me for years about what I want for Christmas. Years ago I used to cut pictures out of ads and paste them into a book for them, but now I don't need much of anything. One year the only thing I really wanted was a book about colonial houses. I told them where to find it, but the 3 of them couldn't manage to it, so I bought it myself, wrapped it, and stuck it under the tree.

The best presents DH ever gave me were my Ipod and a set of cheese spreaders. The spreaders were something I had a real use for, but at the same time they were sort of frivolous, and I would have had a hard time bringing myself to buy them for myself. DH had to hunt high and low for them and I appreciated that. For a guy, going out and getting some jewelery or perfume is the easy way out. DH always wishes I was more into jewelery.

I did find one thing I want. It's a foot massager pillow with a motor and those little beads inside. Every time my legs or feet ached I'd think that a pillowed massager like that would be perfect, and now I've found they've gone and made one. I have a foot massager, but you have to sit upright, and I prefer to put my feet up when I'm achy.

My daughter gets to buy me the massager, so she's happy. I even thought of something DH can give me for a change, I wonder if I'll get it?

Now I still have to think of something my sons can get me, or they'll never quit hounding me. Minis are out, obviously.

My dad gives money and usually one gift for me and my sister, usually a sweater or something, but my sister asked me at Thanksgiving and I never give an answer. But last week I told her if she wants to get me something to either get me a router attachment for my dremel or the audio book tapes of books 6 or 7 of Harry Potter. I have all of them in hardback, paperback, and 1-5 on tape.

I went shopping today and only bought stuff for myself. I got a set of fluffy fleece sheets. I've been looking for months for these and could only find them in a catalog or searching online and they were 50% off today at Sears, so I bought them up. Now I just need to shop for everyone else but me.

well i want a dremel :), perfume, new wallet, anything gold :lol: i just like to recieve frivolous stuff and definately a surprise, things i wouldnt have the money to buy myself...i do like to drop hints though :) It may sound like telling/demanding but i'd rather get something i want/would use :)

Another thing my daughter and I do is we share the same ebay account and we 'watch' things we would like :lol: this is great for me as she loves old vintage stuff/clothes so its too easy to buy for her...if only the others were as simple <_<

So far for Christmas DH has bought himself a navigational GPS we can use hiking or kayaking and a 42" flat screen plasma HDTV. I want him to finish setting up my mini lathe that was my Christmas present two years ago so I can start turning furniture legs!, oh, and the BA reflecting telescope he got us three years ago!

My husband is the same way youhave to listen to him really close months in advance to ever get any ideas. But I am pretty on top of that I think I was able to fins some good ideas!

Rhonda Roo

Christmas started early for us this year; we're talking around July lol. My husband bought himself a bass boat mid summer. Then came the new shotgun. When I asked him why he was buying a shotgun he said, and I quote, "just cuz". A month later I bought him a new HD flat screen TV that he had been wanting for quite some time. I called that an early Christmas because he is impossible to buy for. I've been splurging on mini's all summer, spending when I really shouldn't have. (I'm terrible! Ebay and Hobby Lobby are my weakness! lol) We have a tendency to buy whatever our "wants" are throughout the year, so Christmas isn't a big deal for us. We've been known to buy for our kids and other family/friends and wait a month or two before we buy each other something. I think we would rather see others have a good Christmas and worry about us later.

"What do you want for Christmas?"

(1) nothing -- that never works

(2) donate to your local humane society or favorite charity -- that never seems to work, either

So I usually get something I gush thanks over and immediately toss in the donation box.

I do not understand why, when I make it so easy for people, they insist on making it hard for themselves.

ROFL Freya!

the time is coming close..I still have the piece of paper and pencil with one item on the list. They will be leaving in an hour. Ummmm. *looking around the room* Ummmm..

What do I want?

A clean house

No back talk for an entire year.

Someone else to scrape the dried up cereal on the bowl that someone (fred)left out to let it get that way.

My coffee made for me every morning the way I like it.

That is all I ask...and they will not cost one single penny!

Dang.

Cash! Give me cash..in a big red box with a bow on it.

Oh there is a lady in the clerks office where I work and she has for years got me a little someting like a ornament type thing for years and I have never remembered to get her anything..

so today i gave her the book "twilight"

i gave it to her already cause i didn't want her kids to get it for her and she end up with two...

anyways she got it today and she loved it!!

there is three other books that go along with it and I am in hopes that her kids will get them for her..

she is such a nice lady...

I got another book and was going to give it to my brothers girlfriend/live in or whatever you call it these days lol

but i think i might keep it and get another next week.. not sure cause I don't have much time to read..

Anyone read these books are they good ones??

Also boughta bunch of dollar store toys for the "Shop with a trooper"

that is tomorrow so besides what they get while shopping they are getting a stocking filled with toys and candy!!

I don't let anyone buy for me. I don't need anything.

Although I DO have one standing gift on my list. So in case anybody forgets and asks if there IS anything, I tell them I just have the one thing.

3 carat round diamond. In a rose setting with diamonds on either side and the face of the setting. It's stunning.

Other than that, I don't need a thing.

My desires are more like Heidi's other list - coffee made for me in the morning, a little help dusting, their company for lunch...

Oh there is a lady in the clerks office where I work and she has for years got me a little someting like a ornament type thing for years and I have never remembered to get her anything..

so today i gave her the book "twilight"

i gave it to her already cause i didn't want her kids to get it for her and she end up with two...

anyways she got it today and she loved it!!

there is three other books that go along with it and I am in hopes that her kids will get them for her..

she is such a nice lady...

I got another book and was going to give it to my brothers girlfriend/live in or whatever you call it these days lol

but i think i might keep it and get another next week.. not sure cause I don't have much time to read..

Anyone read these books are they good ones??

There is another thread on here about these books...might have to go back a few pages...but I am in love with these books (okay, maybe obsessed :cold: )! I read all four in a little over a week. I would love to read them again, but I've loaned them all out :yes: . Definitely worth taking the time to read them. There were lots of mixed reviews on the movie, but I loved it!

I agree with Heidi and Deana...just do a little something special for me or with me. Life's too short, let's make some great memories together!