Another Ohio Newbie

dbev

So sorry for the double post. Tried to edit and ended up with 2 and can't find a way to delete the other post!

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi! Very happy to find this place! I've always been interested in miniatures, but never really made the time to get involved with them. It seemed soooooo overwhelming when I had kids at home. Now that I'm a semi-old lady :teary: , I thought it might be time to indulge myself!!

Years ago my mom built and decorated a big, beautiful house that kept her busy for about 9 years and just fascinated me. Recently, after losing my dad, she has begun a descent into depression and dementia and as I am spending sooooo much time with her now, I thought this might be a great project for me to work on with her. So, I found a McKinley kit, which I've always thought was perfect for a beginner due to its compact size and display possibilities. It was used, at a great price, with a few cut out pieces missing and no instructions. My sister also owns the same kit (partially built) and I think she'll probably drag it back out and start working on it again with us, so I think with her help, I can deal with having stuff missing (I hope, anyway :huh: ).

I can't wait for it to arrive, but until then, I'll spend my time researching this marvelous forum for tips and ideas. What a wealth of information there is here with really nice people to boot!!! I only have one question at the moment, which I'll post when I figure out the appropriate place to do so....without further ado, I'll get to reading!!! :wave:

Welcome to the little family, Debbie!

can't find a way to delete the other post!
PM Mini Man or Minis on the Edge (admins) and request they delete you duplicate topic.

The advantage of having your sister make the same kit that whatever you're missing she can trace off for you and you can duplicate it in foamcore or gatorboard, or even 1/8" plywood, should you have some. Do share pictures with us, you can start an album ASA you've made five posts.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone! I think I'll enjoy spending time here.

Pat: There are advantages to getting older......sometimes you have to dig a little to find them, but they're there :lol:

Rebecca: I'm looking forward to it. Hoping it will turn out to be a bonding experience and I'm really hoping it will be a good stimulator for my mom and serve to get her "dollhouse juices" flowing again. If not, it will still be something to while visiting together.

Holly: Thanks for the ideas. Foamcore, I know - gatorboard, I'll have to figure out - and 1/8" ply, I'll have to figure out where to find, but I think this is do-able!

Tracy: Thanks for fixing my "oops" - great way to start off , eh? <_<

Gayle: If that's true, it would be a great side-effect!!!!

Again, thanks for the welcome!

<_< to the forum -- I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience to build a dollhouse with your mother and sister involved.

Michaels sells 1/8 inch Baltic Birch plywood. I have often used this when I wanted to bash a Greenleaf.

:lol:

Welcome to the family, Debbie - working on the McKinley together sounds like a great way to perk your mother's interest and get her "going" again. Having a sister who also enjoys dh building must be heaven! Please share your family's efforts as you progress. I see you have made 5 posts, so you can open your own album here - we love eye-candy! <_<