Motts Dollhouse?

hydroped

Hi all,

I recently got my first 1/4" scale house kit - it says on the instructions that it's a Mott's Original. The instructions seem to be for 2 identical houses <?> just different sizes one called the Sweetheart and I forget what the other is called. I need to find those instructions. Anyway I got the house dry fitted together and all in all it's not bad.. but there are no doors or windows cut anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a Mott's Original dollhouse before. If so have you seen one finished? I did a websearch for Mott's Dollhouse but came up blank.. that is to say I found lots of sites but none of them had any dollhouses or kits made By Motts. I could have missed something but thought if anyone would know - then it would be someone on here :D

-David

Oops -- my first answer was only about half right, so I'm redoing it!

Mott's little houses were created by Barbara and Elizabeth Mott, who are related to the current owners of Mott's Miniatures. (Their mother, Allegra, was the founder of NAME.)

Here's one example and another and a third and one more. All models are retired. I've seen references to both women being deceased.

These examples are less quirky than some of the Mott's houses I've seen. They're very loosely based on Bliss dollhouses.

Thanks Calamari!

Now I can see why there are no doors or windows cut out. Thanks to your links I found a house almost identical to mine - it's the Bliss Flower House - located at the bottom of the page of your bliss link. No wonder the gal who originally picked it up, put it back. There are no decals with the kit just the plain wood so I'll have to see what I can do to make it... better.

I had no idea it was one of the Mott's who founded N.A.M.E. Great stuff to know.

Thanks again,

David

Thanks Calamari!

. There are no decals with the kit just the plain wood so I'll have to see what I can do to make it... better.

IDavid

That's just a cute little house! You've had the luck of a cat with all these houses lately! Go David!!!

Deb

I can't find an example, but I'm sure that on one-of-a-kind houses, the Motts clipped or drew various details, then decoupaged them to the exterior. Not sure that meets your interests...

If it's quarter-scale and you want to cut doors and windows, Grandt Line is the standard source for the actual doors, windows, and trim.

Thanks to Hanson's Minis having a new line of quarter-scale roomboxes, I've learned that the way to do exterior detailing in 1:48 is by printing the image on peel-and-stick decals, then inserting Grandt Line fixtures.

• 11 years later...

I currently have 5 of the houses sitting in front of me that were made in '77 by Mott. and am trying to find out the prices for them. The 4 houses have furniture inside and the 5th is a barn with horses

Motts miniatures was the beginning of my addiction.  I got to go through their display at Knotts Berry Farm eons ago.  It was the beginning if a life long love affair.  Broke my heart when some corporation bought the amusement park and mover Motts out.  I guess from what i read the family dispersed the entire collection.