I might be getting a new baby in the spring!

Wolfie

Doug says if I'm really good, we're going to get another dog! This time a Border Collie as if anything happens to our Aussie, Doug says we could never replace her. Princess could never be replaced in our lives or hearts....but we would get the new puppy now so Princess can enjoy her and we can get her in place. Her name will be Duchess as there can only be one Princess.

I'm psyched! Or psycho......I'm not sure!

Lucky you! Border Collies are wonderful dogs. Very smart tho. Molly (our border collie, who crossed the Rainbow Bridge 3 years ago) used to slip across the road to visit the neighbors. She loved their kids. Of course they never shooed her home, but showered her with attention. Now we live in the country and there were plenty of places for her to roam on our farm. But no she had to visit them!! She knew what the command "No road" meant. but she would walk to the end of the driveway, look back at the house and if she didn't see me at the kitchen window, she would be across the road in a flash. One day I stood back so she couldn't see me, and as her front paws touched the road I shouted,"Bad Dog". She slunked back to the house and pretend she was interested in a nap on the back step and then causually wandered out behind the barn. Where as quick as a flash she was over at the neighbors. She knew I couldn't see her. If she heard me calling she left their place and returned home the same way, strolling in from the barn, like she had been home the entire time. LOL. Rita

I agree. Border collies are nice, smart dogs. I will be waiting for photos!

I am prejudice now though. I have had two toy dogs in my life and I think I am in love with their size.

Ohhhh, a little Duchesse.... Sounds like you are in for some puppy loving, ie sharp teeth, loads of energy until the switch goes of = nap time LOL

Looking forward to both seeing and hearing more about this!

Hugs

I think it will be fun for Princess to have a "baby" as she really took to Tigger our kitty when I brought him home at 6 weeks. She carried him around even up and down the stairs sometimes. She really loves him, and I think a puppy she can communicate with will be even better for her. She's a very smart girl too. Australian Shepherds are fabulous dogs and also very smart. They are basically herd dogs used to caring for sheep and goats and horses and cows. We see a lot of the ranches around here using them. And smart enough to outwit both Doug and all. She knows words and can even tell what we are spelling. If the Collie is half as smart - we are in trouble! LOL

But this is not going to happen until spring. It's still just simmering on the burner. No dog will replace Princess for us.

Small dogs cannot be had here unless you hover over them. I know folks who have lost their small dogs to eagles, fox, coyote, etc., here. So we have to get a good sized dog just for that. Now lions could take the larger dogs down, and have done so, but thjey have enough deer to keep them busy hopefully. Princess is not allowed to roam and knows the borders of her yard.

I'm hopeing that this comes true for us. I'm trying to be really really good now!

That's how we came by The Beautiful Melody, Riley was our very bright old beagle who would occasionally articulate simple words to us when he thought he needed to get our attention. Melody will be our last dog-baby, too. It hurt too much to have to let her go, but no way I could have let her endure the suffering she was in for.

When my wonderful border collie Britney passed away it was so quiet here. My son decided to get two since they would play with each other. So we got two sisters whom he named Mystic and Bridget. Bridget was very sick and we did not expect her to survive. She still is taking a lot of meds and is very small in size for a border collie. My son contacted the breeder to tell him about Bridget's condition. He said he could not give us our money back but he could send us another dog. My son asked my husband to look at the pictures on the breeders website to see which dog he liked. I told my son not to take the breeder's offer since a free dog is not free and quite costly. He did not listen and selected a dog my husband said he liked from the breeders pictures. So I now have a third border collie named Ginger who is my dog, They are wonderful, intelligent dogs. They will never replace my first border collie but the joy they bring is in our house is priceless. They are just over one year old.

Mystic Left and Bridget Right

tn_P8241093.JPG

Ginger

tn_P8241106.JPG

I have 3 border collies. They are scary smart. I prefer the males as the females are kinda (the b word). They NEED to be kept busy - trust me. They are creatures of habit. If you teach them to get in one door of the car, you will have a hard time getting them to get in or out a different door. They are incredible water dogs. Mine swim for hours on end. My best advice is to be very careful of the breeder you choose.

I have 3 border collies. They are scary smart. I prefer the males as the females are kinda (the b word). They NEED to be kept busy - trust me. They are creatures of habit. If you teach them to get in one door of the car, you will have a hard time getting them to get in or out a different door. They are incredible water dogs. Mine swim for hours on end. My best advice is to be very careful of the breeder you choose.

That is so true!!! Be very careful about where you buy the dog. Once you are attached to your furbaby it can be very costly. Trust me, I know firsthand.

I do as well.

The thing with border collies is that they can be very very hyper dogs. Almost untrainable. And the breeders who have this type have no business breeding them, but they do. I am not talking energetic either. I have energetic ones and they are wonderful active, intelligent babies. I could tell amusing stories of their antics all day.

OMG, and mine can SPELL too Gina!! AND they know sign language.

----- How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?

1. Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

2. Golden Retriever: The sunis shining, the day is young, we've got out whole lives ahead of us and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

3. Dachshund: You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

4. Rottweiler: Make me.

5. Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.

6. Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!

7. German Shepherd: I'll change it as soon as I've led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven't missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.

8. Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.

9. Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb!

10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

11. Chihuahua : Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or "We don't need no stinking light bulb."

12. Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?

13. Australian Shepherd: First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle...

14. Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

Cute! Very cute! Our neighbor has a jack russell she is babysitting for her daughter while her daughter is on vacation on the Cayman Island....what a bouncing ball that one is! The dog not the daughter! Everytime I see that dog it jumping up and down. What is with those dogs? This is why I'm not that fond of small dogs. Very high strung...you can see why we want a border collie...it even changes light bulbs!

Can't wait to see pics Wolfie. Puppies are so kewl. Love the border collies too. I have a Black Chow unlike any dog I've ever had before and an American Eskimo that is totally opposite her furbaby sister. Some days they are the one thing that keeps me going. They bring me more joy than I can even put into words. Congrats and post pics asap...okay I'll wait until Spring after you get the puppy first;)

8. Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.

So true! I have one and she is something else. It's like they have springs on their feet, drank a case of Red Bull, and eaten tons of sugary snacks. Hyper is an understatement, but they are dead smart and understand EVERYTHING you say. But she does calm down...eventually.

Do the labs ever calm down? I got one for my son and grandson this summer...sheesh! They came to visit and the dog trampled all the mums and ate the hose to the gas grill! She's wonderful for my 4 yr old grandson, as she will play as long as he will. But man, she's a ball of energy!

We have two shih-tsus who were pretty energetic when young, but now just want in our laps or the arm of the chair. Great size for us as we can take them with us when we travel. And every little girl that sees them wants to play with them!

1. Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

2. Golden Retriever: The sunis shining, the day is young, we've got out whole lives ahead of us and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

3. Dachshund: You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

4. Rottweiler: Make me.

5. Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.

6. Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!

7. German Shepherd: I'll change it as soon as I've led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven't missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.

9. Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb!

10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

11. Chihuahua : Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or "We don't need no stinking light bulb."

12. Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?

13. Australian Shepherd: First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle...

14. Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

Of course a cat would say: change it yourself. I can see in the dark just fine.

I love all the pictures of the border collies. ?there is a place here in Montana over in Miles City where they breed them as herd animals. They say they don't make good pets. I'm getting worried. I really love the look of the breed, but don't want one that will herd us around. Princess does enough of that, I doubt if Doug and I could take two herders running in circles and spinning all around us. The poor deer! We'll be having them in the living room in a circle ...... what to do. Those that have border collies, can you PM me with all of their traits? Also tell me how you got them? Are they pedigreed? Are they trained as stock dogs? Can you live with them?

Thank you!