I might be getting a new baby in the spring!

Wolfie

My neighbors, an elderly couple, had a wonderful grown border collie, when I met them. One of the best behaved dogs I ever saw. When he died, their daughter got them a pup. It was too much for them, because they lived in a townhouse and didn't have room for him to run and play. They finally gave him back to the daughter when he pulled her over while walking, and broke her hip.

But the first one was great, because they were young enough to work with him and train him...I think the training must be the secret. That and having lots of room for them to get out and play!

And yes, both were purebred, forgot to add that!

Gina,

Molly wasa great dog. We adopted her from the humane society and did not know her background, but she probably wasn't full border collie, but it was the prdominate breed. She learned and knew commands well. Sometimes following them was another story, (but I have that problem now with the Brussels Griffon too). Molly just had to think things over for a few seconds and decide that it was her idea to follow them. She was very loving. Border collies need lots of activety in their lives. They are working dogs! The problem I had was 2 "mature people" and no excitment to keep her involved. She was happiest when routing out a woodchuck, or digging up gopher mounds. I always thought she needed kids (which she loved) around so she could keep order among the bikes, trikes and wagons. If you train your new puppy from the very beginning and see to it that she gets plenty of exercise you sould have no problems. Rita

In high school I had a few border collies. I trained them to be stock dogs and occasionally bred them. They were very well trained and I never had any problems with them being hyper, of course they were working dogs. I worked them every day before I went to school and then when I got home. When I went to college I came home every weekend to be with them. Unfortunatley my male died from a rattlesnake bite and when I got married I could not get my two females to live in a house in a city, instead of on a ranch and so they went to a working home of someone I knew very well.

My parents best friends when I was a child bred show Australian Shepherds. My grandfather and many people around some of the ranches he worked on preffered the Australian shepherd/ Border Collie crosses and those were the dogs my grandparents always had until more recently. They had reasons they preffered the corss of the two.

A few things that I know some people complain about with pet border collies:

They can be quite restless. Not wanting to settle but instead to pace and make sure everyone, everything and every sound in the house is okay.

They have an intensity that surpasses most other dogs. Everything is done full force. Which can be work or tearing somehting up, playing ball or endlessly pacing. They put their all in to everyhting.

Herding people, pets and leaves. Especially the herding/working lines of dog. They can also be car, bike and jogger chasers that are hard to disuade from their "responsibility".

However when kept busy, entertained and given alternatives to herding they can be wonderful dogs that are completely devoted to their families.

No, the cat would say

"humans change light bulbs. And then they can feed me"

Gina, I just adore my BCs. I would take another in a heartbeat.

They make wonderful family pets. I don't recommend them to people with small children. Or sedandary elderly people in small houses in the city. I am far from being a high activity person, but I am outside often, so the dogs go out with me. It seems to work.

They are not the type to just lay next to you, mine want active hands on them all the time (petting). They get hot easy from all the fur. My 2 black ones hardly shed, the grey one loses her entire coat every 8 months. Just a grey trait. My females are both food aggressive. They like to guard the food dish. All of mine are purebred and I showed them for a year.

At 4 months they chew like crazy. On anything that does not move. Anything. At 7 months they become runners. They discover they can run and they do. They do not run away, they just run. If you follow them, it means they can keep going. If you just wait patiently, they will come back look at you as they run past and go just as far the other way. Do not follow them. Ever. This will last 3 months. They settle down at 2 years old. They like to be given a job. Let them fetch the newspaper. Let them carry your slippers. If you teach them, they will bring your slippers at the same time every day. They are creatures of habit. If you tell them to get in the rear door of the car on the drivers side, that is the door they will always go to. No other. If I hand out pig ears, I have to announce it, then wait while they all scramble to go to their 'special' spot before I can give it to them. Otherwise they just drop it or won't take it.

My male is VERY protective. I was in a pet store when he was young (socializing). I wasn't paying attention but I noticed he got up and moved and had his butt against me. I looked down. He was standing with his head down and front feet spread and tense. There was a pitbull at the other end of the aisle and he moved to guard me. Another time, my daughter had him outside at work. There is a field behind the shop. Suddenly he ran at her, screeched to a stop and whipped around in front of her backed up with his butt against her legs. Head down, feet braced. A man from another shop had come out and was heading to her to talk. She told the guy to stop, he did, she assured the dog it was ok, and all was fine. He did not charge or attack either time. Just put himself between us and the danger. These are dogs who would give their life for you.

Get one. You won't be sorry. I have read enough about you to say go ahead. If I didn't think you would be good for one, I would say so. Don't get one from a breeder who does herding dogs. I can tell you where to get one - but she is in tennessee. She can ship though. Her dogs are wonderful.