3/16/06 Worst Driving?

What is the worst thing to do while driving?

Put On Make Up (I have seen this one)

Use a Laptop (I have seen this too)

Use phone (I don't think people know they can drive without a phone to there ear :D )

watch DVD

Eat and/or Drink

Other?

Well, although alot of the above irritates me, i'd have to say putting on makeup is a real annoyance and danger! I have seen women putting on mascara (that's dangerous while standing in front of a mirror :D as i'm sure all of us women can attest to. I have poked myself in the eye on more than one occassion in my life). Cell phones are definately a close second!

ANYTHING that involves taking any hands off the wheel, eyes off the road, or total attention to driving. We're still here breathing the air because both DH & I were taught to drive defensively.

Reading while driving. While we were driving through Tremonton, Utah we happened upon a young lady reading a novel while driving. I honked my horn to get her attention; she flipped me off, sped up, cut me off and slammed on her brakes. I backed off after that. Not worth my life or my kids. She was all over the road (I assume she went back to reading her book) all the way to the Malad, Idaho where she finally and thankfully got off the highway.

Reading while driving. While we were driving through Tremonton, Utah we happened upon a young lady reading a novel while driving. I honked my horn to get her attention; she flipped me off, sped up, cut me off and slammed on her brakes. I backed off after that. Not worth my life or my kids. She was all over the road (I assume she went back to reading her book) all the way to the Malad, Idaho where she finally and thankfully got off the highway.

Irresponsible people! Then to have the nerve to act that way towards you...very very crazy and dangerous!

I know where Tremonton is! not that far up the road really! I live close to Ogden. Marg

Crazy. I would have to say on the cell phone. Especially when the folks who move out to where I live in the country wait until the last minute to go to work--and it takes about 20 minutes just to get into the city, if you start early.

Another one is eating--people eating AND talking on the cell must be driving with their knees!

Irresponsible people! Then to have the nerve to act that way towards you...very very crazy and dangerous!

I know where Tremonton is! not that far up the road really! I live close to Ogden. Marg

I live in Pocatello. Not that far away from Ogden. I occasionally get down that way. Usually when my mom or brother-in-law goes to the VA in SLC.

I live in Pocatello. Not that far away from Ogden. I occasionally get down that way. Usually when my mom or brother-in-law goes to the VA in SLC.

Cool! Small world! We're neighbors really! :D

I think watching a DVD is the worst, and I can't stand it when people talk on cells while driving.

I have to admit that I have put mascarra on, only at red lights, I do drink coffee, and sometimes eat while driving. But I Never Never ever drive on highways, only regular 2 lane roads. I have a major fear of highways, and have a very hard time just riding in the car on a highway let alone trying to drive on one.

I do one thing that alot of my friends used to laugh at me for but don't anymore, because they do it to. When I need to polish my nails and I'm going out, I wait to put the final top coat on in the car. After I buckle up, start the car get everything organized,then I polish my nails, You can't be on the cell, eating, fiddling with the radio etc. with wet polish-- you have to just drive and keep you hands on the wheel. I know it sounds silly but it works.

terri

One of the traffic report sites here in Denver has a place where readers can post the strangest things they've seen going on in traffic. Two of the weirdest are a guy playing the harmonica and another one playing the guitar. Oh, and a woman who knits.

What are these people thinking? They're in control of a half ton of rolling metal filled with flammable liquids and they wanna play the harmonica???

Deb

Well, the state made driving with handheld cell phones illegal. I have seen alot of ppl who are on their cellphones not even paying attention.

Dvds would rate up there with reading Navigational system while driving too.

You all forgot another one.. Remember what happened to Steve Martin and his wife in their car in the movie Parenthood?

Marg

I dunno. I don't drive Jimmy's white truck much, because it has much more power than my Sportage does, and I tend to use it. It drives me nuts when someone is in the left lane and won't move. I have a REALLY REALLY BAD habit of jumping in the right lane and flying around them and then coming back into the left lane 2 inches off their front bumper. I get a little thrill out of watching them nose dive ... Kinda funny though. I don't do it during city driving and I'm much less aggressive driving around the city.

Yep I've seen people driving while reading a book too... that really is a scarey thought - Reading, watching DVD's or talking on cell phones rate the worst for me - that I've seen. I know most of that is illegal.. but it doesn't seem to stop the folks who do it. It's not just folks in cars who do stupid things though - occasionally you get a motorcyle rider who does something equally stupid.. like riding a motorcyle in traffic while eating a bowl of spagetti. Yep that actually happened.. unfortunately for the motorcycle rider he was killed when he couldn't handle the bike, bowl, and fork at the same time and ran into oncoming traffic.

-David

I'd have to say that either the guy on the bike had never rode one before, or maybe? who knows. I find motorcyclists around here more safer than the people in SUV's--driving around schoolbuses, etc. Most of the problem is not necessarily what kind of vehicle they drive, but their impatience on the road.

Most of my experience with people who cut me off in traffic--they will speed like a speed demon to get around me, cut in front of me, THEN slow down. :angry: We are not talking a suburban area, but a 55 mile hr. zone. To keep the rest of the nuts from running over me, or tailgating, I usually have to pass them.

In Va. they are making it illegal for teens to even have an ear piece, or a cell phone on while they are driving, or they're attempting to, last I heard.

I give up!----What happened?

Doe

Oh dear! I think I remember that one! Didn't he hit a telephone pole or something because of that?

Doe, if I'm right and it's the same movie, she got a little "amorous" and started doing something to him, which caused him to wreck.

Oops.

Cell phones, because it's so prevalent. You don't often see people playing guitar driving, but you seen cell phone use all the time. Drive behind someone on a phone for a while, you'd swear you were following a drunk driver. They drive way under the speed limit, wander all over the lane. And there seems to be an arragance about cell phone users. I've had many close calls, and they seem to think it's funny. That burns me up, especially when it's a kid. I want to grab them by their neck and say 'don't you get it you moron? You nearly hit another car! You almost caused an accident! I had to avoid you!' They really don't seem to care. Now I wasn't born with a sterring wheel in my hand, and had a few (thankfully few) near misses when I was first driving, but they shocked the hell out of me, and I learned. But I guess it comes down to what can you say about someone who would do something that has proven to be dangerous?

• 8 months later...

I could fill this page with things about drivers but I won't.

Until I moved to Philly I never know people didn't know what the book 'Rules of the Road' is. They don't stop at stop signs,they run red lights, try to run you over in the crosswalk, cut other cars off, talk on the phone........

I could go on and on. I love the peace in the midwest....

Teenagers on cell phones is what I hate the most right now. Where I live, it isn't yet illegal to talk on your cell phone and drive and the teens just seem to be the worst. Kids can drive at 14 here, which I really believe is far too young in the first place. Put that kid in a car with a few friends and a cell phone and then everyone is wondering why 95% of all our accidents involve kids.

• 1 month later...

I drive a tall SUV. I've seen some pretty wild stuff. I drive a lot. People on cell phones and typing on a laptop on the freeway going 70. People eating, reading, fist fighting with (?)spouse/girlfriend. I seldom see makeup. I was rear ended by a woman in a truck who was reading. Good thing I was also in a truck. I've seen people switch seats while driving, changing clothes, curling hair. Watching dvds (most popular are cartoons and p***) I also know several semi truck drivers and they talk about being flashed a lot and the amount of sex they see.

Ok, cartoons in the car to keep the kids quiet I can see, but P***????? Good lord that's just not right....I think the unsafe things I have seen are turning around to yell at your kids, falling asleep at the wheel, and playing chicken with other drivers...and it's not just kids I see doing that, it's grown-ups....cwazy stuff. I haven't seen too many nutty cell phone drivers but I'm not surprised that it's such a problem. I say that all these people should get chauffeurs! :)