3/17/06 What Are You Afraid Of?

Edmonton? As in Edmonton, Alberta?

As in, that's where my niece moved to?

YES, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada! Did your niece move here? Whenya coming up for a visit. I'd love to have company that isn't allergic to cats!! Do you know what part of Edmonton she moved into. I'm in what's known as Mill Woods.

Your niece must be loving our snow. It's a wet March snow ... cars are getting stuck in the streets (sidestreets). Main roads are clear.

Susanne

I just thought of something that does scare me. The postal delivery truck, FedEx, or Purolator going right by my house on a day that I'm home. I get so excited when one of these trucks pulls into our cul de sac.

As parcels take a long time in coming, I've always got something on order.

Susanne

David, now, picture me and my son (who was about 7 years old) screaming that this thing. I tell you, it was almost as big as my foot and hubby came in the room laughing until he SAW that it was darn near close to the size of my foot (it was more like 6" but it looked almost as long as my foot). Yeap that is when he stopped laughing about those things LOL.

David, now, picture me and my son (who was about 7 years old) screaming that this thing. I tell you, it was almost as big as my foot and hubby came in the room laughing until he SAW that it was darn near close to the size of my foot (it was more like 6" but it looked almost as long as my foot). Yeap that is when he stopped laughing about those things LOL.

I can picture it :angry: - I just don't want to :) <whimper> - David needs a hug - I know you just like giving me the creepy crawlies don't you? ;)

-David

YES, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada! Did your niece move here? Whenya coming up for a visit. I'd love to have company that isn't allergic to cats!! Do you know what part of Edmonton she moved into. I'm in what's known as Mill Woods.

Your niece must be loving our snow. It's a wet March snow ... cars are getting stuck in the streets (sidestreets). Main roads are clear.

Susanne

I'll PM you the address I was given for her. She just had a baby on March 10. She had it early, so her mother didn't get to be there (she's my brother's daughter).

"Actually, this is a picture of the kind we used to get UGGHHHH seeing the pictures gives me the Creeps. "

I think it's kind of pretty, but then I don't really have any critter phobias to speak of unless you count people as critters.

Tracy, I hate to break it to you, but your picture are of centipedes (I know they say they're milipedes, evidently their authors didn't know the difference.) . Those ARE predators and they will bite and some are venomous. In the same way bees and wasps are venomous. This is a millipede:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

They are completely benign, inocuous, and wouldn't hurt a fly. I know this seems a bit petty, but in Arizona I saw the poor Vinegaroon maligned and hated when it's actually a very pleasant creature, the Wind Scorpion most people mistakenly called a Vinegaroon, however, is not.

I can picture it :D - I just don't want to :o <whimper> - David needs a hug - I know you just like giving me the creepy crawlies don't you? :D

-David

<pat, pat> There, there David. <handing over a can of Raid and a baseball bat> Just remember, don't spray or hit the one on the computer screen. Just the ones in real life. :D

I know this seems a bit petty, but in Arizona I saw the poor Vinegaroon maligned and hated when it's actually a very pleasant creature

You must have met a better class of vinegaroons than I did! Those things stand up and hiss at people!! Oh wait. I do that too. Never mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deb

I'm scared of spiders too, and more or less anything with more than 4 legs. Even butterflies freak me out, and I'm terrified witless of moths.

I'm more scared of people vomiting though. If there's the slightest chance that someone near me is going to I break into a cold sweat and start shaking like mad, and I just have to leave. It makes me reluctant to go past pubs or nightclubs late at night, and I'm scared of flying because of it - I don't mind being in the air at all, but the whole time I'm on a plane I worry that someone on it might be airsick, and I can't relax till I'm out of the airport. I won't go on car ferries any more, and half the time the sound of someone with a bad cough is enough to make me jumpy. I find it hard to watch some tv programs too, just in case, because it seems to be becoming more acceptable to show vomiting on tv.

How strange am I?! :D

Oh gosh! I have suppressed other fears and after reading you all made me shudder. I have always been scared of stinging flyers. Now I mean wasps and yellow jackets. Bumble bees, carpenter bees, etc etc. (i know they can probably sting too but they are vigilantes). My mom was afraid i would run out in traffic as a kid to get away from them.

Okay, some more bugs to that i fear.....when I lived in Georgia, we had those HUGE nasty centipedes occassionally....man, if they don't make your skin crawl! They are VERY hard to kill as well and head straight toward you as you start smacking them with a broom! I flushed many of them down the toilet still alive! EEEWWWW I can just picture it right now! EEEKKKKK! Did i saw they are HUGE?!!!! YEP! :D Also, the scorpians that get into your house! When I first moved to Georgia, I was cleaning the apartment one day and saw something on the floor, I bent down to pick it up to throw away whatever the item was....then it MOVED! Yep, little brown scorpian! I jumped 25 feet in the air. Yes, it's true, 25 feet, they had to come and remove me from the ceiling. I was partially thrust thru the neighbors floor with my legs dangling thru my ceiling.... :D Never did get used to the bugs down there! Don't miss them either! Not to mention palmetto bugs! But I still have to say that spiders are my true, true terror!

Well, I am not scared of bugs ( I had a scorpian try to run up my nose while sleeping and almost made it) because we live in FL there are lots of bugs around. As long as they stay outside I am fine, when they come inside they will not last long. I am the official bug killer in our house. I don't know if I am afaid of them but have an extreme dislike for teranchulas ( no I don't know how to spell it)

Well, I am not scared of bugs ( I had a scorpian try to run up my nose while sleeping and almost made it) because we live in FL there are lots of bugs around. As long as they stay outside I am fine, when they come inside they will not last long. I am the official bug killer in our house. I don't know if I am afaid of them but have an extreme dislike for teranchulas ( no I don't know how to spell it)

Strangely taratulas are the one spider I'm not that afraid of... as afraid of. I actually had one as a pet once.. ok not exactly a pet.. it was more or less therapy to try to get over my fear of spiders.. well I'm still afraid of spiders, just not of taratulas... they're big, fairly slow, you can tell when they're aggitated and they're pretty fragile creatures. No I still can't manage to pick on up with my bare hands.. or even gloved hands for that matter, but give me wooden spoon and I can handle a tarantula :D It's the darn small ones that make me nuts them and those 8 legs that make them scoot across the floor before I can find a shoe to smash them with and worse the webs they slide down on.. nothing like walking under a tree or through a garage and having something drop down the back of your neck and into your shirt...<shuddder> Dang!@ now I"m giving mySelf the heebee geebees! :D

- David

Sigh. Dear Hubby would say "what am I not afraid of?" The Usual suspects, of course, spiders, snakes and anything with an exoskeleton or that moves too fast.

Prone to anxiety attacks, there are a couple that make my blood run cold....any siren too close to my house, especially if I'm on my way home. I just know that one day, it will be stopping at my home, and it won't be good.

The other biggie is oxygen (laugh now). That feeling you get when something has gone bad, very wrong, and it feels like the oxygen is being sucked out of the room. Like when someone dies, or you've just been given really bad news.

A little deep, I know, but there ya go.

Back to the books,

Lori

Ah bugs are cool spiders are cool. My bigest fear is the grill, or any gas powered fire producing device. I do the grilling around here too, it sad really. Once its lit I'm fine its the lighting that scares me, I'm always afraid its gonna blow up in my face. I will try to light the grill and if it doesnt start on the first or second try I turn it off run in the house and make my husband light it. Further while he is lighting it I hide in the house as far away from it as I can get (and I take the baby with me).

I guess I also have the normal fears that something bad will happen to a loved one or that I will screw up raising my daughter.

I'm afraid of elevators, open fire (although I collect candles - but I never light them <_< - I know I'm strange!!! ;) ), slugs, leaving the house alone at night and now I'm afraid of Sunnyray's in-laws! Hehe!!! :p