Chrysnbon ice box

nechee

Has anyone built the Chrysnbon ice box and butter churn kit? I just got it for Christmas and would like to know if the stain included in the kit was any good. I am looking to start this tonight. If anyone has any pics of one completed and any info on the stain included in the kit would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.

I love my Chrysnbon stuff. Here are the icebox & butter churn:

post-2625-1230658507_thumb.jpg

The stain seemed more like paint to me (unless I was doing it wrong). :groucho: I happen to be working on the Crysnbon bathroom pieces even as we speak, but am using a brown acrylic paint instead of their stain to get a darker color "wood" look. So far it seems to be working OK. It appears that it will need 2 coats of the acrylic and it's dead flat, but it does give you an option to the stain.

We'll all love to see how yours turns out. Have fun with it!

• Like 1

I have done a lot of Chrynbon pieces lately and have used the stain although it is really paint not a real stain. I think I will be painting over some of the pieces. I will start a gallery this weekend of all my chrynbon. I love these kits.

I know one laddy who uses a primer to paint them and another laddy on here who stains them (I don't know what kinda stain) (I also cant remember who)I have not tried this method my self though.

Thanks for everything. I am hoping to get this done tonight. So hopefully if I can win the war with my camera I will have pics tomorrow. And that Ice box looks great Kathy. You did a good job. I hope mine looks as good as that.

I didn't really love the color of their paint.
That's why I tried the acrylics and I do like the results with 2 coats. I'll apply varnish, as Gina mentioned, for the dual purpose of adding shine and protecting the painted plastic. Chrysnbon pieces are just so much FUN to build, and the realism is fantastic.

I love the kits too. I had to add water to the "stain", as the one with my kit was kinda like rubber. With much mixing it turned out o.k., but as stated it goes on more like paint. I put clear varnish over it, and made the hinges and parts that are intended to look like metal black, with craft paint.

I too love the kits, and sometimes paint them and sometimes stain them. But I've never used the Chrysnbon stain. I use the 'Folk Art' brand antiquing medium, paint it on well making sure to get it into the grain and then carefully wipe it off with a damp cloth. If I accidentally remove too much, I just reapply and re-wipe. It's easy and the result is great.

Chrysnbon are fabulous kits! Especially for some of the houses that are a tad smaller than norm. They can also be "bashed" making some of theminto beds, bureaus, bookcases, planters, etc., etc. There are two "bashing" booklets out there! They are called Chrysnbon Cut-Ups and are wonderful booklets!

On the first Chrysnbon kit I built, the china cupboard, I used Minwax stain and when it was dry I added a coat of clear nail enamel. It turned out nicely so I've been doing the wood-grained Chrysnbon that way ever since. I've dont the icebox & butter churn kits twice, for the pub's kitchen and for Maggie's, and I just checked and neither piece shows in any of the pictures in either album or in the blog for the Glencroft (the pub).

I love the Chrysnbon kits, but I don't care for the stain. I've used acrylic paints on them with pretty good results. I do thin the paint with water so the brushstrokes bring out the wood grain. Then I add a coat of varnish, like others have said. However, I got an airbrush for Christmas, so I'll be trying it out on my next kit, once I get the hang of it!

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

What is the best kind of glue to use on these kits?  I have a china cabinet and a stove I got from ebay, but there is no stain/paint or glue included.  I was thinking super glue, but I'm not sure if that would be best for this plastic.

I use Testors model glue. The glue basically fuses the pieces together. I but some on a piece of parchment or wax paper and use a toothpick or straight pin to apply tiny dabs of it. Be sure to prep your pieces before gluing :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

I use Testors model glue. The glue basically fuses the pieces together. I but some on a piece of parchment or wax paper and use a toothpick or straight pin to apply tiny dabs of it. Be sure to prep your pieces before gluing :) 

The plastic used in these kits is polystyrene and the Testor's model cement is a solvent-type adhesive made to work with polystyrene.  I once tried the super glue when I ran out of the Testor's and went out and bought a new tube.  The RED tube of Testor's worked best for me.  If you're sensitive to fumes you will want to use this in a well-ventilated area.

• Like 1