Potstickers

Wolfie

So today I screwed up my courage and did! And they were fabulous. Those of you know don't know - Doug was stationed in China and Japan way back when - after WW2 actually - lived there and loved the foods. Today he said that my potsticker attempt tasted better than anything he has had served to him in most Chinese restaurants! Do I feel proud? YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Anyway my new best friend is Martin Yan and I used his book "Chinese Cooking for Dummies" to make them! Yum! OK, I had to brag! I had to brag!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I used......

8 black mushrooms

4 cups shredded nape cabbage - shredded with the cleaver......

1 teasoon salt

1/4 pound ground pork - raw

4 green onions, chopped fine

1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger

2 tablespoons oyster0-flavored sauce

2 tespoons Chinese rice wine

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

30 or more potsticker wrappers

3 tablespoons cooking oil

1 cup chicken broth

1. Soak the mushrooms in warm water to cover until softened, about 20 minutes; drain. Discard the stems and mince the caps.

2. In a large bowl, toss the napa cabbage with the salt; squeeze to remove the excess liquid.

3. To make the filling: Combine the mushrooms, napa cabbage, ground pork, gren onions, ginger, oyster-flavored sauce, rice wind, sesame oil, cornstarch, and white pepper in a bowl; mix well.

4. To make each potsticker please a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center of a potsticker wrapper. Keep the remaining wrappers dovered to prevent drying. Brush the edtges of the wrapper with water, fold the wrapper in half, crimping one side to form a semicircle. Pinch the edtes together to seal. Set the potsticker, seam side up, in a baking pan. Cover themwith a wet towel to prevent drying.

5. Place a wide non-stick frying pan or flat bottom wok over medium heat until hot. And I do mean HOT! Add 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil. Add 10 potstickers, seam side up. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Reduce the heat to low. Cover. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from Heat. Repeat until all of thepotstickers, oil and broth.

And I tell you, these are fine!

The receipe is here already! It's just above your's Heidi!

The ones from the store are OK, but these have a texture all of their own! I love making them, and have a nother batch ready to go later today!

I tell you, Martin Yan is a genius! I now have four of his books! The Joy of Wokking - already a big favorite! Chinese Cooking for Dummies! This is a great cookbook by Martin Yan! Really covers all the basics! Martin Yan Quick and Easy Cookbook! Fabulous book! And our newest one - Martin Yan's Feasts! The two I'm using the most though are the Joy of Wokking and the Dummy book! Both great books! Today I'm making Lemon Chicken! And plain stirfried veggies! Our local grocery store does have some chinese ingredients, but I'm finding that they don't have everything. Doug is getting most of our supplies off the internet......things like sesame oil in larger bottles. Yesterday he ordered the cutest things! Eating Utencils to take with you. These are crazy looking! chopsticks on one end, and at the end of each of the chopsticks is either a three pronged fork about 3" long or a small serrated knife blade about 3" long. So you take these with you, and you basically can eat anything anywhere! Ht got 6 sets! Great for the table, great for traveling! He also ordered me steaming baskets, skimmer, new cleaver, and a new flat bottomed wok. A typical chinese spatular as well. So I'll be all set in my kitchen. AND the good news?! I've lost 8 pounds already since last week!

You can use Won-Ton or even egg roll wrappers, but they must be large enough to get that teaspoon full of ingredient into them. I found some that were 4 x 4" square and not round in our market. When we go to Missoula next I'll get ones that are larger. They have a beautiful silky feel to the wrappers that was pleasant to work with, but they are thin and tear easy so handle with care. Yan say to look for the thicker ones, but I had to take what we have here locally, and don't have a choice really unless I make them myself. There is a receipe for the dough, but it seems quite tedius......

You can cut the wonton wrappers to size. The pot sticker ones are round (at least mine are) and you can purchase them in any Asian market or grocery store that carries ethnic foods.

I make eggrolls and I use egg yolk to seal them. That is how my long ago Vietnamese friend taught me. I think I will try with water and egg..do a comparision.

In the eggrolls I use a mixture of ground pork and ground beef. Mmmm! Okay. Now I am hungry. Fred...can you go to the store and pick up some cabbage?? This is funny. I have ALL the ingredients except for the cabbage. Can you tell I like to cook?

I think I am going to make both tonite. (i have egg roll wrappers too). The eggroll recipe is basically the same but I use chinese 5 spice in them.

Thanks for posting Gina.

Gina, this is making me so hungry...and it's only breakfast hour here. I think we have some leftover take out lemon chicken in the fridge. I may have to go styrofoam-diving before going to the grocery store!

Where did you order the "eating utensil to go"? That sounds like a wonderful gift for both sons and my Jim who love to eat international.

Son #1 has been cooking wonderful stuff for us for awhile. He is fascinated with any Oriental cuisine, so I'd also like to get him some serious cooking equipment for b'day.

Gina,

What did you use for dipping sauce?

For the eggrolls I mix equal parts Tamari, chili sauce, and add a splash of rice wine vinegar.

I already have the wrappers defrosting!

Sounds yummie! I make eggrolls, too, and love them. I just wish I knew how to freeze the "leftovers" -- should they be frozen cooked, or uncooked! -- as the recipe always makes many more than we can eat at one time.

I'll have to try the potstickers now, too! <_<

Ann,

I freeze uncooked. I spread out the individual egg rolls on a parchment papered cookie sheet. Then I put the frozen rolls in a ziploc baggie. That way I can take out what I need and it is not in a big clump in the bag.

They may not keep their crispness if you cook them first and then freeze.

My husband and I LOVE potstickers. My mother gave us two boxes of them from Sams Club for Christmas knowing how much we like them and that there's no sam's club near us.

We had them last night, I made them with stirfry and my homemade general tso's chicken.

I can't wait to try this homemade recipe!

Christine

This sounds really yummy and will be put in the "one day" folder as I have a sneaky suspicion that the wraps might be a bit hard to find over here... <_< where we used to live before it wouldn't have posed a problem though...

So Heidi, Chris???? :jumping:

Hugs