Sinus Headache

Hallowell

If you have nothing better to do. Take a hot bath. Grab a mini magazine and soak. Take the sudafed and make yourself some hot tea. The hotter the better.

One thing I do is I take a damp wash cloth and put a teeny tiny bit of Vicks in it. I put it in a ziploc baggie and microwave it until it is hot (not burn yourself hot though). Place it right over your sinus area and relax and breath in the menthol.

The hot shower and sudafed sinus med is probably good start. I've found some 'shower soothers' tablets that dissolve on the shower floor and are great for a medicated steaming. Ground ice in a baggie wrapped in a soft cloth and placed over the face while you try to snooze in a big soft chair with a blankie. I've found vicks infused kleenex that are wonderful for colds and sinus.

Feel better soon! I know that can be miserable.

I also call a rice bag i know you have seen them in the mall at xmas .

I make mine using a 1# bag of rice make a sleeve out of a cotton meterial

pour the rice in it and stich it up make a nother sleeve out of a terri cloth

so it is washable.

place it in the mrico wave for 2 min. then lay down with it on your face, the moist heat will help loosen up tention

I have made little pouches with bath salts flavored with lavender or eculipes.and placed in side

great little heating pad works every where you need heat.

Also you can freeze it and use it for a cold pac

Saline wash. You use a squeeze bulb such as the kind used to clean a baby's nose. Use purified water with salt added and use this every other night. This cleans out and helps prevent.

Also The air in winter is dryer and you may find a humidifier helps along with the wash out.

For immediate pain relief, a pain medication, a hot shower and a cup of tea.

Poor Guy. I've never had a sinus headache, or at least I don't think I have ever had one...... Anyway the hot bath, hot shower routine would probably work for me! The Sudafed and/or Iboprofin would put my lights out.

Thanx everyone. I'm so going to keep all of these remedies. I did have some sudafed and took a long HOT shower, and went to bed for a few hours. Now the headache is at a much lower level that I can handle. The dry air and stormfront that came through today definitely did not help. Hugs to you all. <_<

Greg -

Sending hugs. I've not had a sinus headache but have always suffered terribly from migraines. Maxalt will stop most of them, but a few times a year I still suffer with the 72-hour ones. The maxalt just takes the edge off for a few hours and then it returns ... again and again and again .....

Its so good to wake up and find the pressure in my temple (behind my eye) is finally gone. I just got over one of these three day migraines yesterday. Life always feels so good when the pain is finally over.

Hope your sinus headache won't last too long.

-Susanne

Susanne, I have terrible migraines. They are a new thing for me. Sometimes thry last for almost a week. What is this maxalt, and does it require a RX? I am in the states.

I sometimes take imitrex but it makes me soooooo sick and does not work that well.

I missed a lot of school because of migraines and lost my first job partly due to them. I can usually tell when a migraine is coming about a day ahead by the way my moods are. I tend to be a little more hyper just before and after a migraine. Do any of you get these symptoms? Also when I was very young and into my teens I got what is called "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome", I think it's also called "Todds syndrome". I would get a weird tunneling effect with my eyes and everything would seem to fall further and further away, it was usually followed by a debillitating migraine.

I too had horrible migraines. I kept experimenting with different treatments until finally I found that hot water (shower) on the upper back and then ice on my forehead.

I still have silent migraines. They have all the color show, but my head doesn't hurt. My vision breaks up and the world looks like a puzzle that need to be put back together. But the is no pain and that is wonderful.

I've had the migraines since I was a child.

Yes, Greg, I do get the tunnelling effect. I become aware that I'm seeing things "differently" I feel like I'm separated from everybody. Lights begin to bother me and then noise. I used to sometimes get lost when a headache would come on me at work.

Thankfully, Maxalt came onto the market (by prescription) in 2000. This wonder drug has greatly increased my well days. It is a marvelous drug that is not a painkiller. I live in a province with terrific medicare, and have a job with benefits that enables me to not have to pay for prescriptions. Without these benefits it would be a very expensive medication, but well worth it for me.

-Susanne

Patricia I sometimes get silent migraines. Horrible is the only word I have for them.

I started getting migraines a few years ago and when the Dr told me what they were I did not believe him.

I am still learning about the *auras* and such. Smells become very prominent and I smell rotten eggs or something, and another thing that I notice is my vision. I get what I call a blind spot in one eye, I just cannot see. Very strange and very painful once it hits. Sometimes my vision gets weird I just cannot describe it. Zig zags maybe, or objects moving. Sometime I think I am going insane. I really need a good RX that will not make me so sick. My percocet does not touch a migraine at all.

God bless us.

Now that I've joined the Menopause Club, my migraines have faded away. Yessssss! I used to see the zig zags when I was younger. For the last 6 years or so, I was prescribed a migraine preventative medicine called Nadolol. It didn't eliminate the miagraines but it did reduce the severity of them.

I get sinus headaches too. Not as bad as I did when I was younger, but bad enough to get dizzy and feel like my eyeballs will pop put if I'm not careful. My MIL told me to try Bengaye on my forehead, she did it all the time. It works. I put it on, and lay down with the heating pad on the back of my neck, and the pain goes in a short time.

Hope you feel better Greg.