What do you do for Valentine`s day?

heidiiiii

Do you go out to dinner?

Big heart box of chocolates?

Flowers?

Chelsea`s b-day is the day after so we do celebrate Valentine`s day in our house. I still decorate also. It is fun to hang up the hearts and cupids even though the girls are not little anymore.

Huh? I have a friend in Jacksonville whose birthday is 2/14 who collects robots, so every year we got him a robot for his collection. Oh, I know what we're doing this year! We're going on a paddle over at Blackwater River State Park that weekend and possibly get to meet Martha/mlyle!

This year we will probably be visiting my parents as that is the day prior to us going to vacation to Tenerife and they live an hour closer to the airport they said that they thought it better if we stayed there as we will be so much closer...

Otherwise we usually make a nice dinner for the two of us and snuggle up in the sofa watching a good movie...

Hugs

I don't know what to do this year...lol...

My sweetie says it's a Woman's Day...so I try to do something nice for him!!

Any suggestions for this year would be greatly appreciated!! :-)

Bre

We usually exchange gifts on Valentine's Day but wait to go out to dinner the next week. It is always way to crowded and they raise the prices so we wait till the next weekend and then go out for a fancy dinner.

We may skip this year since we will be going to Amsterdam the following week.

Absolutely nothing. It's just another day ...

Too many media and consumer driven pretend meaning "holidays" if you ask me. Just an excuse to spend money that I don't have and feel guilty about it later.

DH and I don't give gifts or cards to each other for any occassion. We chose that years and years and years ago. It's worked for over 40 years now.

Sigh, Doug used to be much more romantic, however, it's hard to see romantic in Seeley Lake, Montana. We used to go out for dinner, wine, etc., and always jewelry or some trinkey of his affection. Now I get Turtles and just love them! And as for wine, I'm not crazy about it, I prefer - now don't gag - sparking grape juice or cold duck! We will stay home, and I shall prepare a Chinese feast for the two of us!

But Doug does promise me something special for my birthday! A new digital camera! Then I shall have two! One for mini pictures - of which I would never give up my Sony - and a Canon for everything else!

Absolutely nothing. It's just another day ...

Too many media and consumer driven pretend meaning "holidays" if you ask me. Just an excuse to spend money that I don't have and feel guilty about it later.

DH and I don't give gifts or cards to each other for any occassion. We chose that years and years and years ago. It's worked for over 40 years now.

Absolutely agree here, get the people to buy stuff for the nothing holidays, then they have to top it for the real ones. Cards are the biggest gyp.

Oh Gina, see a nice dinner and a box of Turtles would make me happy. Just the acknowledgment of the day is enough for me sometimes.

Make or buy a nice card.

Make a dinner of his favorite things. If you cannot cook, take him out to eat at his favorite place..even if that place is the burger joint down the street. Does not have to be fancy.

As for gifts..I think gifts on Valentine`s day are for Young love. Not by age but how budding new the relationship is. Once you have been around the block as many times as some of us here in GL ( Going strong since 1986 here), you really do not need all that stuff to show your love. I show it everyday. I get up at 6am and Fred is still in bed sleeping. I fix the blankets and pillows so he is comfy and can spread out. He told me that he feels it and appreciates it.

Linda, Make valentines day every year the day you open a new dollhouse kit! Mmm! Chocolate and the fresh smell of dollhouse wood..Nothing better! ((hugs))

I had the worst and best Valentine`s day 20 years ago. I was in full blown 21 hr labor with Chelsea. When I got home from the hospital, my dozen of pristine $60 red roses were brown. That was the last dozen of Valentine`s roses I ever got. If they could not survive me giving birth, then I did not want them (i know you can baby them every couple days to let them last longer).

When I got home from the hospital, my dozen of pristine $60 red roses were brown. That was the last dozen of Valentine`s roses I ever got. If they could not survive me giving birth, then I did not want them (i know you can baby them every couple days to let them last longer).
Too true! DH had a dozen roses waiting for me when we brought our first-born, DS#2, home from the hospital, and I cried when they died & dropped all their petals a few days later. After that the florist would deliver me a dish garden whenever I went into the hospital, and I had philodendron from the one I got with DS#3 that I had to leave behind in Jacksonville when we moved in '89. No flowers or plants for last year's visit to the hospital; we were both so thankful I didn't die we were just in a hurry to get me out & fed & home!

I usually bake DH some heart-shaped sugar cookies, and we go out to dinner. DH usually buys me some flowers, but one year Mr. Smarty Pants gave me a Venus Fly Trap instead, followed by a Sun Dew for our anniversary.

Heidi, I agree that gifts tend to be for young love. After 17 years of marriage (and 4 years dating before that) we tend to skip the trinkets and just try to do something thoughtful for each other. That's why I bake for him--spending time on someone shows your love more than spending money.

Gina, turtles are the best! Any hubby who comes home bearing a box of turtles is a contender for Husband of the Year!

I have cake and ice cream with my family every year. It's my birthday. One good thing, though, about being a Valentine baby is that you never have to worry about not having a date or a significant other because it's always been a day to spend with family, not a schmoopy holiday. This year I'm turning 28 for the 5th time. :blink: Sounds like a good year to stop at.

Since I am not married or have a boyfriend (Yet) It is just another day for me but I love all holidays..

You do not have to buy expensive gifts or cards to make a holiday bright.. Just gotta have it in your

heart.

Well Doug and I are all excited! We are going to have our neighbors Donna and Bob over for Valentine's Day! We will have a simple Chinese home cooked meal - Lemon Chicken over Jasmine Rice and a small veggie stir fry as a side. Then for Dessert? Oh my I found the most wonderful dessert on the back of the 50 pound bag of Jasmine Rice by Golden Star that Doug bought - It's a very special rice pudding made with whole milk, coconut milk, almond and vanilla flavoring and raisens....they call it Rice Pudding. Well it's more like ambrosia! Poor Donna no longer cooks as she has altzeimers and Bob's shoulder is killing him and he can't lift. I am going over there this morning and bring in more firewood for them, and will present them with their invitation. A big Red Heart!

Awww, that sounds like a kind and wonderful idea Wolfie! Really good.

Not sure what we'll do in the evening, but day won't be that fun :birthday: Chris does tabletop wargaming, and there's a place about 12 miles away that holds gaming sessions on the second saturday in the month. So he's going to that on the 14th. I have to have my eyes scanned/photographed and they had an appointment for the 14th in the same town. I can't drive after the eye drops, so thought he could accompany me home on the bus. I thought the gaming was in the morning (I'm sure he said it was in the morning!) so my appointment is at 10:30... but turns out gaming is in the afternoon from 2-4:30. So I've gotta wait around for him for hours! And saving for a car, so can't spend money shopping at the outlet mall nearby either :birthday: And hospital only has appointments in the morning.

He'll have to make up for my waiting around somehow :)

We don't usually do much, hubby gets me a card and I get him one. I still like to get the kids something, candy, or a stuffed animal if I have the money. I have to tell the story of what my hubby did for me one year. We were real busy that year (we move furniture for a living) and he forgot to get me anything for Valentine's so he came and got me and took me to the job site where he had made me a GIANT Valentine card on a mattress box. Just too funny! I have a pic somewhere, maybe I'll find it and post it before the day.

Julie C.

I always buy the largest heart box of chocolates that I can find. It is a gift for the whole family. It sits on the coffee table (out of reach of the dog) for anyone that comes over to share in. My best friend always seems to show up at the moment the cellophane is taken off.. Hmm?

This Valentine`s Day will be interesting. Chelsea and Chris. If she claims they are friends but they go out on Valentine`s day, what does that mean? :) ?