Today in the Emergency Room ...

KathieB

Today didn't go quite as planned. Lloyd had chest pains early this morning. We spent most of the day in the emergency room and he has moved to the ICU for the night, not that he needs intensive care but those are the only electronically monitored beds in the local hospital. They are testing for heart attack; no enzymes have shown up, which is good. Two more enzyme tests scheduled before morning. Did find a bit of pneumonia on one lung.

If the enzyme tests rule out a heart attack, they want to do a chemical stress test to determine if there are other heart issues. (He has congestive heart failure, a mitral valve, an aortic ring, and a pacemaker. Of COURSE there are other heart issues. Clogged arteries, however, have not been one of them.) I'm not convinced the stress test is a good idea, as the chemicals will be administered by technicians at the hospital here in Marshall, and the results will be read electronically by a cardiologist at a hospital in Booneville, about 45 miles away. The Marshall hospital doesn't have a cardiologist. I'm tempted to take him to the VA in Columbia, where his cardiologist is, for the test if the VA cardio guy feels it is necessary. I know the local doc is doing a CYA. I'm not sure it's the best thing for Lloyd. I'm not sure the stress test needs to be done so hastily. I wish I knew.

This year has not been very good for us so far, at least health-wise.

Did find a bit of pneumonia on one lung.
As someone who has had pneumonia three times, that will cause chest pain, although not the squeezing/ crushing/ leftward radiating pain usually associated with an MI. If Loyd is to have a chemical stress test, by all means have HIS cardiologist there! I had to have one the AM after my pacemaker insertion, and I hope never to have another! It feels like you're going to blow up from the inside out for the 4 1/2 minutes they run the IV drip.

That's my inclination, Holly. He has had this kind of stress test before, at the VA, and the chief cardiologist and a couple of others in attendance. The pain he had today was more like wall muscle pain ... no radiating, no crushing pain. He rated the pain as a 3 of 10 when he arrived at the ER and later said it was more like less than one, just consistent, which worried him. I'll see what's going on when I get there in the morning, but I really think I'm going to fight having the stress test done tomorrow.

I'm sending huge hugs to you and Lloyd both Kathie. If there's a sign of pneumonia that could certainly cause the chest pain but with a history of cardiac problems, that's never anything to take a chance on. Good for you both for going to the ER! As for the stress test, don't let them do it unless there's a cardiologist there. It would be so much better to get him to his regular cardio doc and let him make the decision. Don't let them push you into it if you can get him to the VA instead and let his cardiologist decide. (that really does sound like the local doc's CYA to me) And since he'd been having pain all day but the enzymes aren't showing up in the first blood tests, odds are they probably won't in the second or third. They usually show up within 4 hours of a heart attack or clogged artery.

I know it's worrisome but I'm sure he'll be okay. I'm glad that you're at home getting some rest too. You can't take care of Lloyd if you don't take care of yourself.

Deb

Kathie, I'm so sorry to hear this. It is worrisome, and I'm hoping and praying that things turn out OK for you! Good vibes coming your way for your hubby! We don't want to lose our guys!

Hugs,

With his history (I'm guessing an MI) doing a stress test without a cardiologist around is like pushing someone out of a plane. Yep, he got stressed. If things go bad you're really up the creek.

((((HUGS))))

I agree with what everyone else has said. I would not want the testing done without the BIG man there to jump in if something awful were to arise.

I will be praying for you.

Thinking of you and hoping it is "only" the strain from an infection and nothing else!!!! Take it easy on yourself though, sending postive thoughts your and Lloyd's way!!!!!

Hugs

Another possible source of intense chest wall pain is pleurisy

Holly, you are right!! I had that when I was about 19 years old. It was after I had a bad bout of Pneumonia and it was very painful sharp pains in my chest. I had forgot all about that until I saw your post.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! After a conference call with the local doc and the VA doc this morning, it was decided to do the nuclear and chemical stress tests here after all. The results were read by a cardiologist at a third hospital late this afternoon. There is some ischemia in the heart wall is all the local doc would tell us. The VA found a bed for him and he is being transported by ambulance as I write this (8 pm here). We don't know what the VA cardiologist has in mind, maybe a heart catheterization. They had the local doc administer Lovenox, which they do prior to invasive procedures, so that is a clue.

I'm spending the night here at home. When Lloyd gets to the VA in a couple of hours and finds out what the plan is, he will call me. If a procedure is planned for tomorrow morning, I'll leave here very early. I'm about an hour and a half away. I wish the forecast for tomorrow were something other than a high of 10 after a low of -5 tonight, but I have a good vehicle and am not a timid driver.

Your prayers are so welcome ... you can't know. :blink:

We don't know what the VA cardiologist has in mind, maybe a heart catheterization. They had the local doc administer Lovenox, which they do prior to invasive procedures, so that is a clue.

Kathie, I wish I could be there in person to keep you company in the waiting room. I've waited alone thru three of those catherizations now and know how hard it can be. I'll be with you in spirit and will send all the positive energy I can that the doctor says "Everything is fine now". Hopefully if there's a blockage they'll be able to simply flush it out or put in a stent and Lloyd will be home in a couple of days. My thoughts are with you both.

Deb

OH! by the time you read this you will probably already know something!

all my prayers and good vibes going your way today!

{{BIG HUGGZZ}}

wish I were closer I also would sit there waiting with you!

keep us posted!

nutti :wave: