My first house coventry cottage

Laura1008

I am clearly a house building novice. I attempted to put my windows together today and I ripped one is there any hope for me buying replacement windows??

This is likely another dumb question but what do you do when tabs dont fit in holes? I have been shaving them down to try to make them fit.

OH there are so many more questions swirling in my nugget but I will leave it at 2 for now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello again Laura! The contact information for Greenleaf is located at: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/contact.htm They're wonderful folks and will be able to help you find the replacement parts you're looking for.

I think I'm the only one on the board right now <listening to the echo in empty rooms> but everyone else will be along shortly. <_<

It's not unusual to have to shave the tabs or slots when you're building. One of the things I do when I dry fit a house before I start building is to use a pencil to mark the tabs and slots that will need some shaving. You'll want to keep in mind that sealants, paints, stains or varnishes will expand those areas as well so if you're going to apply any of the above before you put it all together, allow for a little extra space. Depending on where the slot and tab are located, I usually use an xacto blade to carefully shave off a little at a time on the tabs. Sometimes they need a little taken off the ends as well as shaved off the sides to fit into the slots. In some areas, it works a little better to open up the slots a little bit.

Which tabs and slots on the Coventry are giving you trouble? The Coventry is a unique interlocking design with the tabs and slots and some pieces have to go in sideways and then twist into place so there are some you may not want to shave. Tracy (MyMiniShop) has some really excellent pictures of that process in her blog at: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...logid=15&cat=50 She did a step by step tutorial of how to lock in the tabs.

Deb

attempted to put my windows together today and I ripped one is there any hope for me buying replacement windows??
I had one of the acetate inserts turn up missing while building (& blogging) the Arthur, so rather than wait to replace one acetate sheet I made one, and I made it a "stained glass" window (I blogged on how I did it) and put it in the bathroom.

sealants, paints, stains or varnishes will expand those areas as well so if you're going to apply any of the above before you put it all together, allow for a little extra space.

And if you get a little too zealous, there's always wood putty <_<

This is likely another dumb question

I wish whoever originally coined the term "dumb question" had been stricken mute before those two words ever left his mouth. There is no such thing as a DUMB question. Not every problem's solution is going to jump out flashing strobe lights. "Dumb" is not asking. I agree with Benny Hill, never assume, it makes an "a**" out of "u" and "me".

Emory boards work real good for sanding in those tiny slots and you can get them cheap at any Dollar store.

If you don't want to wait for replacement parts, those clear plastic report cover sheets should work, and doing a search on the forum should help you find havanaholly's and others who have explained how to print on them.

I should have said how they "accomplished" the stain glass look. LOL See Laura, a perfect example of how there are different approaches to fix a problem.

OOOOooooHHHHHHhhhh

I lovelovelove the stained glass idea especially since the one I ruined was the front door.

You guys rock and I already know my house will look so much better having met you folks.

You cant imagine how relieved I was to read about the abundant use of puttys and fillers I was feeling like a loser when I bought that tub of putty yesterday. Now I'm walking on air.

I'll say, and don't forget joint compound either. The arthur gave me a fit on the upstairs, I just 'filled' it with the compound and that worked.

You can simply cut your windows out of the transparency--and there are wonderful Liquid lead and glass paints on the market--I have made several of my 'leaded' glass windows on the arthur with golf tape, and also architectural tape. To simulate stained glass like Rik Pierce just get yourself some sharpie markers in different colors and design your own. On the coventry that would look cool.

The arthur pics are in my webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lisan204