Soooooooo Cooooold

Hallowell

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we may be in single digits even here in SC tonight! Snow flurries possible for sunday evening. It won't impress any of you Snowfolks, but it is mighty d#@*&^m chilly here too!

We're making homemade chicken noodle soup tonight to add some additional 'stove heat' to the house. Lily and Maisie kittens have snuggled in my lap for several hours.

brrr!

Yeah, it's been "ugly cold" around here, too. Supposed to get to 17 tomorrow..that'll seem like a heat wave!! Break out the shorts!!! :)

I'm really sick of winter and we still have 3 months of it to face. Ugh.

I talked to my brothers in Winthrup and they were also saying how cold it was. But they are safe, warm and dry, so I'm not worried. Those temps are quite normal for our area, but I worry about my grumpy older brothers.....LOL

It was the coldest here that its been in 15 years. We woke up to no heat, our oil take got so cold the oil turned to jello and the furnace couldn't pump it. Took about 5 hours to melt the oil with a torpedo heater sitting beside the oil tank blowing heat on it. It's running now and I hope it keeps running all night, we also ran out of firewood and the wood guy didn't show up with the cord wood we ordered.

Ugh! Terri! I would freak out. I am so so glad that whoever re-did this house, put heating in the basement. It is a nice toasty 60 degrees down there.

Greg, I will trudge up your way and we can hang out, drink cocktails, and play gin rummy! If you have one that is working, Spark up the fireplace!

It was so cold yesterday morning that the car had to warm up for 20 mins before we took it out. Fred did not do that coming home from work, and he said the poor baby was sluggish all the way home.

Do not dispair! It is going to warm back up again. By this time next week it will be back in the 30s. Who would have ever thought I would be rejoicing over that temp?

Hey Holly! How are you doing? I heard it is cold as a bear`s behind down there in Florida.

At 0730 it's a torrid 26 degrees on our back screen porch and I'm still whimpering from going out there in my (two layers of) shirtsleeves. Whatever I cook for breakfast this AM will be LOTS! Link sausages & bacon & fruit muffins & veggie omlets, at least! and maybe oatmeal or grits! Geeze, Louise!

Ooo! I want some Grits! Fred likes them with cheese but I prefer them with honey. I think it is because I am a Cream of Wheat kind of girl.

I think I am going to make a nice hearty breakie this morning too. Dig out the waffle iron and make some sausage links to go with them.

our back deck thermometer says 9 degrees right now. We're in the center of SC, but strangly one of the coldest spots in the state is always nearby in Cedar Creek.

I made sure the bird feeder and squirrel corn were filled so I didn't have to tippy toe over that coooolllddd surface this morning. Good news is that it's so dry (-8 dewpoint) that the cars won't need scraping before we go to work.

This is a double bowl of steaming hot grits morning!

Fred likes them with cheese but I prefer them with honey
On the rare occasins I slip up & cook a double batch of grits I chill the rest and when they've "set" I slice them into two pieces and fry them in cooking spray until they're browned & crisp on the outside & hot on the inside, and then I sprinkle them with a little cayenne pepper & drizzle them with tupelo honey, like polenta. We love cheese grits, too; otherwise, just butter, salt & pepper.

I just got in !!! :) Was just out on a call for water meter frozen & leaking. They had to shut the water off to 3 houses, so we had to stand there until the water co. came to fix it. I called DW to make sure there was hot coffee on & also stopped for a bag of Krispy Kremes !!

Hey Greg....My daughter is moving to Maine this summer. I have to tell her what she has to look forward to !!

Steve in PA

Not as cold over here, but below freezing temps and windy as he-double hockey sticks :) and it is almost dinner, today we're having "salmon d'Opera" fancy expression for fresh salmon diced, cooked/fried (?) and submerged in a white wine/buoillon/cream/dill sauce and some pasta to that... Comfort food LOL

Hugs

The low in Spartanburg was 12. I took a couple of pictures of my Koi pond. It's been in place for 6 years and this is the first time this has ever happened. The ice is 1/2" thick. The pond isn't at it's best at the moment but wanted you to see it anyway.

post-1165-1232218987_thumb.jpg

post-1165-1232219014_thumb.jpg

It was -15 F this morning when I woke up to the furnace not working. Our heating oil froze up and the house was cooooollllllddd. The basement was around 35 F. Luckily my dad and brother-in-law got it fixed. The house is still heating up and not up to temperature, yet. We know exactly where it freezes up so it isn't a problem of finding it. Luckily, my brother-in-law does this kind of thing so we don't have to pay anyone to unfreeze it. It's supposed to reach up to 20 F today, so it will seem like a heatwave! Who would have thought that 20 F would be warm.

Holly, I grew up on fried grits! It was so yummy! Mom would also put leftover grits in the turkey stuffing @Thanksgiving. I have a library patron who still grinds grits in an old family owned grist mill. I don't think I could flavor them with honey, though. I don't like sweet cornbread, either. We had country ham and red-eye gravy when I was young.

We were able to keep the oil from freezing up again last night. It went down to -12 last night. He built a tent over the tank to keep the wind off of it and had the torpedo heater ready to go. I put a small space heater beside the furnace to heat the oil before it went into the furnace, and we were able to scrounge enough firewood to keep a good fire going all night in the woodburner. With all that we were able to keep everything nice and toasty in here. Even with all that I was so afraid the furnace would quit again, that I stayed up to 3 a.m. just in case. Not that I could do anything except wake him up!LOL. The wood guy showed up at noon with a load and the temperature is not as bad as it was. So we should be fine now.

Heidi, the temp in our house went down to 62 and we were freezing. If it gets colder than 70 in here he freaks out. Right now with the woodburner going it's 75. I don't know what we'd do without that. It really keeps the furnace from running all the time and cuts down on the oil bill. So far we've only used a little over a hundred gallons this winter, so I don't think we'll have to get a refill this winter. I called the oil company for prices(just in case) and it's down to $2.14 a gallon, much better than the $3.20 we paid in August.

Keep warm everybody.

OMG Greg. I am sorry about that.

I am making some old fashioned American Chop Suey right now. I will send some your way to warm you up and give you a nice carb fest to forget.