3/27/06 Which do you prefer at the grocery store

Both Jimmy and I prefer to go to the line where there's a real live person. Not only can I not figure those danged self serve things out, they usually screw up on me, and quite honestly I like the human interaction.

• 7 months later...

At Home Depot I like the self-check because they are so busy and I can get out faster. The food store is different. I always end up with a problem when it comes to the things that don't have upc codes, like rolls or fruit. The coupons are a problem, tool. I guess you could say it depends where I'm at if I like them or not. :welcome:

Beth

I prefer the cashier line for two reasons.. first, I get tired of hearing the stupid computer say 'move your item to the bagging section' when you have a large item,like 20 or more lbs. bag of dog food.It will say that if you put the item back inside your cart instead of on the bagging table. And, because I work now and have worked in supermarkets among other jobs..I like the cashier line because it gives people jobs. Giant Eagle, where I work for now, pays all of 5.15 an hour. The stores make money,so why put someone out of work by using the automated self check out if you have more than one or two items? bergie

It depends on which store I am in and how much I am buying....At places like Loew's, Home Depot...I prefer the self check out...but at the grocery store I want someone else to ring up my purchases...(unless I am only buying one or two items...

I worked in a grocery store chain that has now closed. We were in a union. I think that the self-serve lines will put people out of a job. My children have no problems using them. Remember when pumping your own gas saved you some money. Now I can't think of a station in my area that even pumps gas. The gas stations make money and have the customer do the work. I don't want my grocery stores going the same route. I want a cashier who gets a decent salary for her/his work.

I also love the self check out but often wonder how many people will be losing their jobs over this new system. As well, I find that the weight system that won't let you remove your bags to go on to the next can be a pain as our coupons (sometimes). I also believe that people should get a small discount for checking themselves out since we are technically doing the store's job. What I do like about it is that I pack it the way that I like and that it can be faster.

Katharina

it all depends on what i have bought and how much time I have. I usually use the self check out lanes if i can because it goes much faster. But if i have more than 10 items I usually go through the regular lanes.

• 4 weeks later...