Triple Threat in the Chicago Area

I'm going to the 3 miniature shows (Bishop, IMA, and 3 Blind Mice) in the Chicago area in April and DH has actually agreed to accompany me. Has anyone attended these in the past? What can I expect? Do the vendors offer good deals?

Thanks!!

Dawn, wear good shoes, dress lightly, carry a large shopping bag, and bring cash -- as much as you can afford. :)

There are hundreds of vendors. Some may offer show specials, but you'll be overwhelmed by the variety and quality of all of the minis.

Other members of the forum will be there. (Not I, alas!) Some of us met for breakfast a couple years ago, which was a great treat.

We're going too!! YIPPEE!! :) My husband is looking for the vendor who was selling this neat little desk that comes apart -- I think it's called "campaign furniture" and is the sort of thing that was taken apart, taken on safaris, put together while camping there, and then taken apart to be shipped home... (WAY expensive...but if he buys it, that frees me up to buy stuff, too!! )

I didn't know what to expect at my first show, either .. and was surprised to not find sellers of actual houses (or kits for houses), but instead,

LOADS of folks with all sorts of accessories, building materials, patterns, furniture kits, dollmaking stuff -- all the bits and pieces that make our houses special. I am planning to inventory all my stuff that I have already before I go, just so I don't get too carried away buying stuff I already have, or won't really make use of.

Comfortable shoes and clothing is a must. And be prepared to be crowded -- there are TONS of people there. What I did was first just go around to all the various tables, see what was offered, make notes, then go back and actually start buying. Sometimes that didn't work out -- what I wanted had been sold (and sometimes there aren't others!!) but generally that did cut down a bit on the impulse purchasing.

Be prepared to be awed at the prices, too! I had no idea how expensive some of this stuff can be!! But it's great great fun!

Maybe we'll connect there. Look for a fat lady in a wheelchair with a glazed expression on her face, being just a bit overwhelmed once again! :D

What can you expect?

1. To spend money, lots of money!

2. To see some of the most beautiful minis ever!

3. To see something that you really want and can't afford............ :^(

4. To meet people you will find from Greenleaf! Wear your pin or make a little sign.

5. To meet artisans you've only read about in the mini mags.

So there are 5 things that you can expect!!!!!!

I'm planning on going. I will be wearing my "Love me, love my dollhouse" shirt.

Excellent Idea! I'll wear mine, too! I guess it's a dress occasion -- I'll wear my white one! Or maybe the tan one that is stained and got glue marks on it.. :)

Thanks for all the info, I'm more excited than I was before! I'm in the middle of building my first house (the San Fran 557) and I think, if I time it right, I should be ready to shop for interior stuff around the same time the shows are.

I'm jealous though, some of you have Greenleaf pins and cutsie shirts... where do you find this stuff?!

I did a quick search and I did find one website... I'm really loving the Peace, Love, Dollhouses shirts.

http://www.cafepress.com/greatgeek/s_dollhouse

Maybe I'll have to get matching shirts for DH & I (that would probably put him over the edge though, he's getting pretty close already - he refers to the GM community as my cult). :p

Annie made the tees, check here and you can PM her to get one. Peggi made the pins. Tracy made aprons the year that Linda Cullen & her DH, Nutti & her DH and Kathie all went and took one of Rik Pierce's classes.

he refers to the GM community as my cult
GM? General Motors?

Annie made the tees, check here and you can PM her to get one. Peggi made the pins. Tracy made aprons the year that Linda Cullen & her DH, Nutti & her DH and Kathie all went and took one of Rik Pierce's classes.GM? General Motors?

GM = Greenleaf Miniature (Community or Cult as DH calls it). :)

What days are the show(s)? Were talking about trying to get up there cause I really want to go and neither one of us has ever been to chicago . its only a 12 hour drive for us!!! woohoo! Now thats what you call a road trip!

Here are the links for the shows. I believe there is going to be a free shuttle that runs between all 3.

http://3blindmiceshow.com/index.php

http://www.ima-show.com/

http://www.bishopshow.com/

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to express my excitement for the Chicago shows this weekend! Due to my work schedule this week, I will only have Saturday & Sunday to make my rounds at all 3. But, DH and I have a plan in place and I think we'll be able to see it all. If you see 2 people making a mad dash through the aisles, that's probably us... LOL!

I'm actually going to be stopping at Lolly's Dollhouse Shop first, then the two smaller shows on Saturday, so I won't end up at the Bishop Show until Sunday. We'll be at the hotel Saturday, but probably late afternoon at the earliest, and I think the Show shuts down at 5 p.m., so we'll just eat, crash, and then "do" the Bishop show on Sunday. I hope everything won't be sold out by then!! :hug:

Lolly's Dollhouse Shop you say? Do tell what this shop is all about! I'm not familiar with the area, but I'm all for checking out a local shop if time permits! Which of the shows is it closest too?

I took the Cold Porcelain Flower Class today at the Bishop show(I'll share pictures later when I upload them). We made the tree trunk and all of the flowers and leaves but I have not arranged them around the Tree in the dish yet. There is a LOT of excitement still this year so I was happy to see all of this creative energy floating around all of the class rooms there! Though I paid for the all weekend (plus preview night) pass, I'll only be there on Saturday (I think so far). Rik and I are supposed to eat lunch together though so I am playing it by ear. I am only going to the Bishop Show though. I won't hit the other ones.

Lolly's <in Elgin> is about a half hour west <on I-90> of the Schaumburg shows

Thank you for the info! I found her webpage and she's posted quite a few pics of the inside of her store. It looks like she has a wonderful selection! There's only one store in my area that seems to have a comparible selection (Rose's Dollhouse Shop in Brookfield, WI), but Lolly's looks so much neater and brighter on the inside! I've actually found a different store in WI that I prefer to Rose's - it's called Small World and it's located in Waukesha. The onsight selection is smaller, but Carol (the owner) is more than happy to let you look through the catalog and place orders. She is also very knowledgeable and very nice!

Thank you for the info! I found her webpage and she's posted quite a few pics of the inside of her store. It looks like she has a wonderful selection! There's only one store in my area that seems to have a comparible selection (Rose's Dollhouse Shop in Brookfield, WI), but Lolly's looks so much neater and brighter on the inside! I've actually found a different store in WI that I prefer to Rose's - it's called Small World and it's located in Waukesha. The onsight selection is smaller, but Carol (the owner) is more than happy to let you look through the catalog and place orders. She is also very knowledgeable and very nice!

I didn't get started with my dollhouse hobby until we moved out of the Chicago area, so I'm not familiar with either of these stores...but it must be wonderful to have TWO of them nearby!!

Lolly's is on our way to the "big" show in Chicago, so I'm really looking forward to being there! :lol: