Hey Holly!

heidiiiii

How many days out of school with pink eye?

I am waiting for the dr office to call to get Nat in to check it out today. Neither of the girls have ever had pink eye when they were school aged and I do not remember how long I was out of school when I had it.

What is the recommended amount of time before they are allowed back? I am thinking she wont go to school tomorrow but probably be back on Wednesday?

She is bugging me for an answer..LOL

Never mind.

Nurse called from the Drs office. They called in a script to the pharmacy for pink eye. She has to stay home tomorrow. If it gets worse after using it today and tomorrow, then I have to call the office back to have her come in.

So she missed today, will miss tomorrow, and probably Wednesday because of snow storm.

I was going to reply to this in the other thread where you mentioned it. FYI, there are two kind of "pink eye", AKA conjunctivitis, and I was lucky to have a pediatrician show me the diagnostic differences when he was helping us with preschool physicals one year. One kind is the bacterial infection, that the kid gets antibacterial opthalmic ointment for inside the lower lid and out of school until the purulent discharge stops - the yellowish to greenish goop that collects in the inner corner of the eye; the inside of the lower eyelid is slick & normal looking. The other kind is "allergic conjunctivitis", where the white of the eye turns pink or even red and the surface of the inside of the eyelid looks "cobbled", like little blisters (I used to get swelling of the inner half of the white of my affected eye when I was younger, too!) and Visine was what a Naval doctor finally told me to use for it.

If her eye's stuck shut, it's probably the goop (don'tcha like my technical terms here? I can use medical terms if you prefer); clear warm water on cottonballs she can throw away after each one will soften it up so she can open her eye & wipe it away.l The HARD part is getting her NOT to touch it, because if she rubs her itchy, oozy eye, guess what? It SPREADS to the other eye, and then she has TWO itchy, oozy eyes to drive her insane. After the warm water, cool water on the cottonball, but she really has to throw away the cottonball each time it touches the effected eye. Once she has been on the gentamycin ointment/ drops 24 hours she should be good to go back to school AND she should have relief.

If she doesn't, don't send her to school, haul her back to the doctor.

It's probably a good idea to put the medicine in both eyes, if the other one starts to look pink.

Stepdaughter from former family went through cycles of pinkeye in boarding HS. There was a fair epidemic in the dorm before the idiot children finally understood they could NOT share eye make-up!

I am a little bit peeved. We use Rite Aid pharmacy now. The dr office called in the script for Natalie. I called to give them her information because I never had anything filled for her at that particular place. They tell me that they do not have any of it in stock. I will have to wait until after 3pm today for it to come in.

This is the 3rd time I have had to wait for a script to be filled because they did not have it in stock. I think there is some writing on the wall. In early December there were mumblings that if Rite Aid could not pull it together during the Christmas season that they could go into Chapter 11.

Now it is January, and they do not have common medications in their stocks. I had one script that they kept delaying and delaying (two weeks went by and still back ordered). So I took it back to CVS at 9am and came back at noon and had my meds. Hmmmm?

I hope they have it cause it is going to snow tonite and tomorrow. There is no script to take because it was called in.

I get pink eye quite often. I tend to rub my snot in my eyes while I sleep. I know terribly gross, but I swear I can't help it!

I used to work with children and had to take a communicable diseases class. You have to be on the meds for 24 hours before returning to work/school ect;

Now I always keep back up medicine in the house.

When I run out, it usually just takes a quick call to my doc's office and they call in my script, I usually don't have to go in......That is how often it has happened to me.

Here is to your daughter having a speedy recovery. I know what it like waking up with your eyes sealed shut!

S

They called it into the other pharmacy. I will call them to find out when it will be ready but it will only probably take an hour or so. I used to get it when I was younger and you are right. Nothing worse then having to peel your eyelids open in the morning. There will be no school tomorrow because of the snow (there is going to be alot so this is not a prediction..LOL) so she will have time to heal herself with the meds.

Will keep an *eye* on it just in case. Nurse said if it does not get better in 24 hrs on the meds then she has to come in because it is probably something else.

I picked up the medicine. The co-pay was $25. <_< That means it was a higher tiered drug. The bottle is so teeny tiny. It is a 7 days worth of meds. I mean the bottle is so tiny, I could save it and use it someway in dh scale..LOL

I picked up the medicine. The co-pay was $25. <_< That means it was a higher tiered drug. The bottle is so teeny tiny. It is a 7 days worth of meds. I mean the bottle is so tiny, I could save it and use it someway in dh scale..LOL

So you got a bonus gift with the prescription --- can't beat that! :huh:

Actually you can! I saved the empty test solution bottles I used to test the high & low on our test strips on the Accu-Check machines we kept in the clinics at my schools, and I acquired a bagful of empty vaccine bottles from our immunization nurse for various mini projects.

This is the 3rd time I have had to wait for a script to be filled because they did not have it in stock. I think there is some writing on the wall. In early December there were mumblings that if Rite Aid could not pull it together during the Christmas season that they could go into Chapter 11.

Heidi, I was in a local Rite Aid on CHRISTMAS EVE!!!! and it was positively dead! The cashier was fawningly grateful to see me there, and it was kinda creepy. Eric and I were talking about it, how that particular Rite Aid is dark and dingy, even though it is only a year or two old, and it was no wonder people flocked to the new, shiny, bright, clean Walgreen's across the street. Funny. Now that I think about it...all the Walgreen's that came to this area recently have built near a Rite Aid. Hmmmmmmmm <_<

sad. I like rite aid. Mostly because i worked there for four years....

they didn't pay that well actually, i guess I liked the people.

All the shops around here are new! Not a dingy one in the bunch. I even moved a store when I worked there....albeit was ten years ago.

I never thought the pharmacy was all that good ...again, I still liked the people....townie folk I suppose is what you find round here.

I'm wondering if it is going under....can you smell ANOTHER buyout?

Big Sigh.

She is still in bed so I do not know. But she had no problems with the drops. She was worried but she said the stuff did not sting. We will see if the Prize Fighter look has gone down today. I was having her wipe her eyes with warm disposable cotton clothes during the day yesterday before we got the medicine.

She is really mad at me ...LOL I told her she HAD to toss all her eye makeup. She could give it back to herself if she did not.

Calm her down, she gets to go out & buy all NEW makeup when it all clears up. DO remind her not to share other peoples' eye makeup, and not to share HERS with others. HIV isn't the only blood- & body fluid-borne pathogen...