She was too young

nechee

Patches has made her way over the Rainbow Bridge. I took her to the vets for her shots and she had managed to get her carrier opened and jumped out of it and ran. RIght into the path of a moving car. There was nothing the vet could do for her, she was gone when I carried her into the office. Thank goodness my kids were not there to witness that. Although, trying to explain to a 5 year old, who just lost his great grandmother two weeks ago, where his cat is was very hard to do. My daughters were afraid of Patches so they are alright about it, but my 5 year old took it very hard. He still thinks the vet is going to make her all better and that I am just kidding that she is not coming back. I still don't know how she managed to get the carrier opened, I know it was closed tight when I put her in the van.

Oh, Kathie ... how hard for you and your son.

If I may offer a suggestion ... when my niece's grandfather died, she was about 5, and had a hard time figuring out where Grandpa had gone. She knew the "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, how I wonder who you are" song. My sister took her outside one evening and told her that Grandpa had gone to live on a star, where he could look down and see her every night. It took about 20 seconds for her to point toward the heavens and shout, "There he is! He's twinkling at me!" For a while she insisted that the curtains in her room be open at night so Grandpa could see her. My sister said she only asked when they were going to visit him once. She must have figured out her own answer as to why he could go to the stars but she couldn't. Kids are pretty resilient. <_<

Your son might accept that his kitty went to live on a star.

I think the star story would work wonderfully. I am going to try that with him. He still insists that his great grandmother has gone on a trip and she will be back. Hopefully the star story would work for her passing too.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. It was horrible to watch, but at least she did not suffer. I just know that carrier was closed tight though. She was too young. Only a few months old.

How awful for this to happen. Two deaths is so short a time is a lot for a 5 year old to deal with. My Dad died at 88 years of age and at night when I walk the dog, I look up to the sky at the beautiful stars and say. "HI Dad, Love you." I think it will help you son too. Rita

I had to reply again. Kathie, it must have been just awful for you to witness that. You deserve a really (((((BIG HUG))))).

This is no comparison but one day I was sitting in the car downtown waiting for Chelsea to come out. There was a seagull just walking along, picking up stuff. I was thinking about what the bird was thinking. I was tired and bored. It walked off the curb into the street and not one but two cars hit this poor bird.

I was shaken.

So if I was shaken by a seagull, I can totally empathize as to how you are feeling right now. Come here...

(((((((Another Big Hug)))))))