Help! How do you or who can ship a large dollhouse?

shelbylominac

I am looking to maybe buy a Jos. Angel house and am wondering who could ship it? It is large at 48"w x 52" and heavy at 45 lbs. so it might be freight? I may have to drive to get it if it's too expensive. Any recommendations or experiences?

Greyhound bus freight could be the least expensive. Also try shipit.com and upship.com. These last two are services that hook up truckers to pick up stuff along their routes. I have used uship twice and was very pleased. Expect to pay about 0.50$ to $1 per mile.

Depending on the distance you wish to have it shipped from, it may be cheaper to go get it yourself. This is what I do whenever possible. Any chance the seller would be willing to deliver, if you offered him/her gas money for the troubles? This worked for me once, and was a fraction of the cost of shipping, not to mention it is safer than relying on someone elses packing job, that may not care as much about what shape it arrives in.

It's too big to go via the postal service or UPS. You'd probably have to go common carrier which would cost a minimum of 80 bucks plus residential delivery charges of up to 70 bucks more.

If you have access to a pick up truck, I'd advise picking it up yourself. Take blankets to wrap it in.

I was sent a very heavy house via Fedex freight.

It was close to $200 shipping and it traveled the entire length of the continent.

I didn't mind the shipping price because there was no way I could drive to get it.

If the drive is 2 hours and under, it might be worth driving to get it.

I start balking at the 3 hour drives, but then I am not a fan of driving...

I am debating what would be cheaper-shipping or driving? I am in Maryland and the house is in Texas, so pretty far to drive. They mentioned maybe meeting in Memphis, and I have parents in Georgia who maybe could get it there easier. Just wondering if shipping would be cheaper but also worry about damage.

Check with your local UPS Store if you have one and see if they ship freight. My local UPS store said he can ship freight. If I give him enough notice, he said he'll even build me a crate and pack it for me (for a price of course). UPS does ship freight, it's on their website if you poke around.

If that doesn't work, there's another site I see referenced all the time on eBay called Craters and Freighters (http://www.cratersandfreighters.com) that pack and ship large things for you. I don't know if they're for businesses only or not.

Where are you buying the house from? If it's from a business, don't they have a shipping/freight company they can ship it to you?

Christine

Hmm, never considered Greyhound before. Interesting recommendation. Can I find out more specifics about it from those who used it?

The biggest concern I would have would be providing the crate and packing for it. I have used UPS a number of times and was very satisfied with the service. They will build and package the house. They are not cheap, but when you consider the efforts put into your projects, I consider it worth it.