What would you do?

Margaret

As most of you know,our family has been feeding a homeless cat in our dogrun(actually it's our other cats' play area in the summer).We left the door open so it could come and go.Well today he(he's a whole male) begged to come into our house.We let him in and discovered that the tips of his ears have been frozen and he has an injured right back leg.He can't even walk on it-poor thing.We've put him in a large carrier for now.He's got food and water hanging on the carrier door.He's so beautiful but in Edmonton,you're only allowed 6 cats and we are at the limit.We talked to the president of our cat club and she said that if we brought him to the pound,he would be euthanized.Would you break the law and keep him(we'd have to tame him first) or have him put down?We will take him to the vet and see if he will give us a reduced rate for him-Mom believes his leg could be broken.

That's like asking if you should keep all your kids! Seriously, if you don't take care of him and keep him, he'll probably die or get killed in the street. After all, just because he comes up to your house and eat doesn't mean he's legally your cat-just claim he's the neighbor's cat if anyone asks!

After all-cats don't belong to anyone. They allow you to wait on them, feed, and pet them on occasion, if you're nice!

I think if you are financially capable of providing him with good care and his prognosis is good, you should keep him. If his prognosis is poor it may be better to have him put down. If you aren't financially capable of providing good care you should see if your vet has a foster home for him. Good luck :hmm:

If he is an outdoor cat and has to survive on his own, leaving him an injuredleg puts him in harm's way! I would see about vet care for him. And since he lives outside you can always claim (truthfully) that he is a stray cat. Poor baby! Rita

There aren't any cat rescues near you? There are dozens here. I would see if the vet will give you a lower rate, or call around and ask other vets and shelters.

By the way, the limit here is 4 domestic pets. I don't know if that includes birds or just cats and dogs. I had 5 dogs and 3 cats for years. I am now down to 4 dogs and a cat and another kitten coming soon (maybe 2). As long as no one has a reason to complain, no one needs to know.

As for the law I don't know about there, but you can get fined and jail time for feeding stray cats here. ( they are considered yours and you are responsible for them even if they eat food you put out for your dog and not them.) Dh was actually in court for a traffic thing and the judge sentenced this woman with a $2000 fine because the cats were eating the food she left out for her dog and that made her responsible according to the law.

I would take it to the vet and see what they say. Sometimes they will keep injured animals and find them a home ( for little to no cost).

Margaret, I did a quick internet search in your area and found reference to one or more groups who deal with feral cats. You might ask your vet if he/she knows of anyone who might help, a group or an individual.

I think if I were in this situation, which is what you are asking, I would not want to have this untamed cat around my other six.

1. He needs medical attention ($$)

2. He isn't going to be a good influence on the current six.

3. He needs to be neutered ($$)

4. He is not legal and if it comes to maintaining the law, he's not the one who will be fined, you will.

I would do an exhaustive search for cat rescue groups in your area. You said your cat club president said he'd be euthanized at the local shelter, but maybe there is an alternate place for him. Are there any cat club members up for a challenge? Call other vets to ask if they can point you in a good direction?

Poor thing. You make the decision that feels right to you. Perhaps when he's well, and tamed, someone will adopt him. Many vets are willing to help with finding strays a home...Maybe you can track down one of those rescue centers... Best of luck to you both.

The big question is whether he is a stray or a feral cat. I stray will be a grateful, happy addition to your home. A feral cat will not acclimate. The fact that he was okay with going into a carrier and that, even injured, he'll let you approach him are indicators that he's not feral.

The limit in Maryland is 9. I think those laws are set into place to keep the crazy cat lady from housing 100 cats in a filthy, condemnable house. I doubt they are going to enforce a well-kept house if they go over the number of pets. Too much else to worry about. You could ask your vet what they recommend... It sounds to me like this cat might already be an extended part of your family. In that circumstance I believe I would get the cat fixed up and then make further decisions afterward.

As for the people fined for feeding feral cats - sometimes that's to curb wild animals also attracted to the food, like skunks. But there is a group called Alley Cat Allies who work to prevent harm to feral cat communities... so for people dealing with those issues, you could try there for support. They assist nationwide issues from what I've read.

Margaret I think you are doing the right thing and morally especially. I couldn't leave a poor kitty out like that injured with frozen ear tips. Do what you have to do to make him comfortable and take him to the vet and see what the vet says before you make any kind of decision. You're doing the right thing Margaret!

take care of his needs now, but start looking for a permanent home for him. Make sure he's tested for FIV. Our old Bill boy is positive from being a street fellow so long, so we keep him away from the other girls and Mo. His old teeth are so few, I doubt he could bite anyone, but provoked by irritating teen cat gals, he might need to, so we can't take the chance.

We are desperate to find a home (a barn would be perfect) for Mo because he's mostly a claustophobic feral cat.

Good luck! You've made a compassionate decision to bring him in right now. Hope a home can open up for your fellow.

We have had a rabies outbreak and no more feral cats right now. We have all sorts of sheltered places where feral cats can find protection from extremes of temperature, and I will put out food for them when I know they're around.

This is what I would do.

Keep him in the carrier or a seperate room from the others. Take him to the vet to get him checked out, shots, and if you can afford it..fixed!

Keep him until you can find another place to take him. For gosh sakes keep him at least until it is warm out.

Do you think the owners are looking for him? Maybe put up flyers in your area.

Unless you have extremely noisy and mean neighbors, I do not think the government will be knocking on your door and counting the Meow calls in your house.

I would keep him (after he has been checked out by vet) and then let the wind blow where it may.

I totally agree with Heidi. Do they come and check? We too have a rule in our home owner's association that states 2 dogs and 2 cats - that's it! But no one ever comes to check, and I know of people that have far more animals than we have......but no one complains unless they are a nusience. Not my business man......

My recommendation would be to take the cat to your local shelter and have him checked in. Make sure they understand that you can foster the cat until either they have room for him or he is adopted. At least here you can have more than the limit as long as they are fostered and there is paperwork in place. They will check him out and give him any shots and they can take a photo and put him up on their website for adoption. We just fostered four kittens as there was no room at the shelter - they have all now been adopted.

Lisa R.

Take him to the vet and have him checked and treated.

I would keep him as long as he doesn't have FIV.

How would anyone know how many kitties you have?

Where I live there is no limit on how many we can have but I never tell my neighbors anyway.

My kitties like to sit in the windows but fortunately they're all either black,white,or gray so nosy people can't tell how many I have!LOL

Margaret,kudos to you for being so caring and concerned about the poor little kitty.

Follow your heart on this one. You love kitties, he needs help. I agree with the others. Keep him separated from your other cats until you have him checked out. If he finds his way into your heart in the meantime you know you have to keep him.

Just thought I'd inquire about your new found friend. Any updates on his condition, and are you making progress finding him a home? Of course if you were forced to have him put down, cause he's too badly hurt, we will understand that too. Let us know. I love cats, but my DH and son are allergic.

That is provided the animal shelters in Canada have fostering programs.

The Toronto Humane Society has fostering, as does the shelter in my town.

If it were me, I would have him checked by the vet - number one priority! If he's no threat to my other cats, I would keep him. Even though it would be another drain on the budget - what can you do? He has chosen you - you have accepted him. He certainly can't go outside now - this winter has been very dangerous for outside pets, as his eartips can attest! I hope he's okay, and that you can either keep him, or find a loving home for him. :p

In these bad days of very poor economy, one sees everywhere where people are abandoning their furbabies, horses, cows, etc. A shame. So if you can just save one furbaby, it is worth it. So many others are dying on the roads in the fields, and elsewhere.