Realife Miniatures kits

shelbylominac

They have the detail & quality that you are willing to put into them. I put the parlor kit together, it was my first upholtery effort, and the first time I used old wide polyester neckties with which to upholster (I was hooked!); because of the way the Cambridge is laid out you can barely see the settee and armchair through the arch beyond the diningroom (which is HOM table & chairs):

gallery_8_76_127973.jpg

• Like 1

RealLife kits and HOM kits are very different, one from the other. RealLife kits are fabulous - if you put them together following the directions to the letter you will have success. The kits are old. The company is no longer in business. In most cases the celephone is off the box and the wood is very dry. Stain first. Then put them together. They are very much to scale and far more delicate than HOM kits. HOM kits on the other hand are old as well, the company stopped making them. They were first offered by Houseworks, then House of Miniatures took them over and eventually sold to X-Acto and they discontinued the line. A shame, they are fabulous kits! I love both RealLife and HOM....but what I get in return is what I put into them, i.e., the care, the time, thepatience.

The Victorian kits by RealLife are very detailed. I love them because they are more authentic looking than most of the kits out there.

• Like 2

Oh to get another modern RealLife kitchen kit. I love that kit! And also the Queen Anne items...beautifully done!

Anyone got any pixie dust for me? I want to live in my dollhouse living rooms!

I like them both. I have built both. That was 20 years ago. I got some Realife Kits from e-bay and the wood is warped on some. I figured I could use the scraps as a stencil and replace the bent pieces using basswood. If you like the design and don't mind fixing, I would go for it.

I just made the Realife Victorian Bedroom set that I bought off ebay awhile back. I used the walnut stain made by the House of miniatures that I had and they turned out nice. The would is dry so they really soak up the dark stain but I like the wood dark. They are easy to make too!

• Like 2

I've built several Realife kits, and I love them all! Be careful when buying and try to make sure you are getting a complete set. I've gotten some that weren't, fortunately the punch out sheets were there and I was able to recreate the pieces. They turn out very nice, especially the victorian sets and the country kitchen. Good luck and have fun!!!! :lol:

• 3 years later...

In the 1970s Realife Kitchen kit with yellow stove & refrigerator, do the cabinet doors, stove door and refrigerator door open? If they are not intended to open, can the kit be "bashed" to make the doors open? Perhaps by using a chamois cloth hinge or a small piece of Tyvek envelope as a hinge? Tyvek does not tear and I have used it as a hinge before.

Hope someone who is familiar with this kit can answer.

Thanks

mygrommi

Holly, I searched for Gina but couldn't find her - wanted to see or read about her use of Tyvek for hinges. I don't seem to be very good with searching on this forum.

I know these posts about the Realife kits were from 2009, but I would still like to hear from someone who has assembled the "modern" kitchen to learn if the cabinet doors are made to open and close or if the are just stationary.

Thanks

Renea

Renea - I can't remember if the cabinet doors are made to open, but if not, then yes they can be bashed. My dad built this kit for my first dollhouse and he hinged the doors with offset hinges. (One reason I refuse to get rid of this huge, falling-apart house is that I love the kitchen too much!)

old_kitchen3.jpg

I have another of these kits that I started bashing for my Westville years ago and stopped halfway through. I can dig out the instructions and check for you if you want.

Emily, I LOVE this kitchen. It is great. The hinges are wonderful. I hope my dollhouse shop has them. If not, any idea where I could find hinges like these?

Do the stove and refrigerator doors open?

Yes, if you could check the directions when you have a chance that would be nice. No real hurry.

Thank you for the photo.

Renea

Yes, the stove and fridge doors definitely open. The fridge has shelves inside. I don't think the stove comes with a shelf but I made one out of cardboard covered with foil.

He made this for me 15-20 years ago and I'm not sure if the hinges are still available (at the time, the kitchen kit was readily available too!) but they might be these. Mine don't have that big center pin but maybe he trimmed it?

Anyway, I'll dig out the instructions and try to get some better pictures for you, too.

Holly, I finally found the Tyvek posts. Thanks. The forum search function doesn't seem very user friendly, but maybe it is "operator error" on my part.

Emily, I would LOVE to see more photos of the kitchen.

I just bought a kit on eBay and looked at it very quickly when it arrived. I don't see a faucet set for the sink, but maybe I missed it. The kit box was in plastic, which appeared to be the original factory plastic, but there appeared to be some unexplained extra things in the kit and the faucet set appears not to be there. So, I'm not sure what's going on. The seller said she bought the kit from an individual but never opened it, but it had been purported to her to be complete.

I can buy a faucet, but I hope all the wood pieces are there. I haven't had time to lay out all the pieces to check. I have the instructions now, so you don't have to dig yours out.

Thanks

Renea