PREGGERS! and no it's not me...lol

Bree1978

when my dog was due to have hers she was eating right up until she went into labour. it was about 2am on the 9th november she began moving in circles and digging at her whelping box we set up for her. she panted hard for hours then at 1230 she began frantically moving around in the box and let out a scream so bad i thought she was being killed then out popped a puppy at 12.32pm she settled and cleaned the pup then at 12 40 another pup but less noise from her. it was almost 2 hours till next one they seemed to come two every 2 hours. so be prepared for a long day. if u need any advice let me know and i will help if i can. the pups were born all black and slimy looking then when dry they got so fluffy and within a few days the colours started to come thru. it took 8 to 10 days for the eyes and ears to open and the noises they make r so cute.

before and after pics sound like a great idea. another good idea is to get some soft wool in diff colours to tie around their necks as u could easily mix them up as to what order they r born in if they all look the same.

do u know what to have at hand for the birth. if u dont it is handy to have a few clean warm towels to help clean them off when mum is busy with the others. some thread to tie off any cords that r not chewed properly we had to do two of them as ours didnt chew them right and they kept bleeding. try to tie it two finger widths from the belly. we also had a thing that is used to clear fluid from a babies nose and mouth, but we didnt need it.

we did have one pup that wasnt breathing and we were told by vet if it happened to rub vigoursly and to hold pup in palm of hand with its head on fingers then place other hand on top hold firm and with quick movements to rais above ur head then back down as it shocks the heart to beat. unfortunatly he died a few days later but he did put up a good fight.

i hope this helps u

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the advice and tips! I do have a nose sucker thingy (I think it is called a bulb syringe) so I'll go ahead and sterilize it just in case. What would I need it for? To clear their noses? She hasn't eaten all day and has been lounging around in her crate, but not digging or anything...she usually follows me everywhere. She has had some bathroom problems (number two) today is that a sign? I can see the pups moving around in her tummy now, oh the excitement! Which is good because I fear that they are not alive without checking (I felt the same way when I was pregnant...I'm a worry wart). Will keep everyone updated...

I may need your help if something happens out of the ordinary Dawn, I'll pm you if so. Again thank you!

S

She has had some bathroom problems (number two) today is that a sign?

Think back to just before you gave birth. I am by far no expert on dogs, but mothers-to-be usually have to naturally empty out their system (even starting a day or two early) before giving birth to have more room for the babies to come out. That may be what's happening to her.

Can hardly wait.....I'm the nervous type... :yes:

no worries hunni i was the same so excited waiting for them to arrive. the bulb syringe thing is to clear noses and mouths if they need it. what i did is when i knew she was in labour was to call the vets to let them know that way they were there ready and prepared just incase i had to call them and they had time to look up our info so they who they were coming out to but we didnt need them. it is surprising how much the mum does herself without being told it is all instinct.

memphis our gsd was fantastic she did everything right i think the only problem was with maverick the dad he was terrified of the pups if they moved he wud run and hide lol.

u shud hear the dogs from next door they sound like they r being tortured just now. they dont like being left home alone.

Two puppies have been born! Number one is a girl, no. two can't tell yet! Mom is doing well. Instincts took over and she didn't seem scared after the first cutie was born!

Enjoy first photo...going back to sit with her!

post-3711-1235915701_thumb.jpg

S

Well, I think she is done...she had one while I was typing last time! The other two are boys! That seemed really fast. She is doing really good, getting them cleaned up. I'll take a pic once they are looking dry and good. I want to give them some privacy!

S

Well, are they dry yet?

yes they are dry! lol. post-3711-1235970472_thumb.jpg

Sorry it took so long for an update. We had a stillborn around an hour after my last post, I think I did everything I could for five minutes...then felt that that even if I could bring him back, he would not be right...I'm sad. I did look up prior what to do to get pups breathing after your advice, Dawn. I even game him a breath myself at the end of what was reasonable time...I don't know what else to say.

However I'm quite joyful that the first three pups are in great shape and nursing well! They are such adorable sweet things...Just wait everyone they will be even cuter soon!

S

Sorry about the loss. I grew up on a farm, and sometimes it's just nature's way of telling us something is wrong, and there's nothing one can do but accept it. You did everything you could. I'm happy to see you have 3 healthy, adorable puppies. Thanks for the update.

Congratulations on the new pups! It reminds me of when our shiba inu had hers. They're so tiny, like beanie babies or dog toys.

The first 24 hours are the most nervewracking, after that, it's all fun from there watching them grow and learn.

I'm sorry about the stillborn. It's always heartbreaking when that happens. Fortunately you have three good pups and a healthy mom.

Post more pics!

Sorry to hear about losing one of the puppies - you must be so sad. My heart goes out to you. :p

However, try and take comfort in the fact that you have three healthy puppies and that both momma and babies are doing fine!