I've got a code

Hallowell

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to make a warm saltwater solution and stick my nose in it and snort it up, trying not to strangle or drown; it's gross, and Russ & Catherine will be convinced you're dying, but it'll open your nose, at least for a little while. My DM used to stick Vicks up my nose when I was little...

poor baby....but....you just had dental work....it may not be a "cold" but a result of your dentist appt...would suggest calling him/her and asking for suggestions...they may prescribe antibiotics....

Poor Greg! Have you ever taken Zinc lozenges? My DS and I swear by them! We use "Cold-Eez" or Target's generic Zinc. They can knock out a cold if taken soon enough, and if not, they definitely shorten the duration for us. DD won't take them, she doesn't like the aftertaste (but I think they are o.k.) and her colds are always so much worse than ours.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Try a neti pot. It's the same principle as what Holly suggested. You put the warm water and their saline mix in the little plastic teapot and then pour it up your nostril until it runs out the other one. It's amazing what a good job it does! They have them at Walmart and I'm sure at most pharmacies. My DIL told me about them and I'm so glad. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Wolfie's cure all! A nice cup of hot tea with lemon and honey in it. Any kind of tea, doesn't matter. Soothing and makes you feel better. The honey sooths the throat and quiets the cough, the lemon gives you vitamins and a jolt, and the tea, well it's flavor and homey. And good for you!

Dr. Wolfie

The home remedy of choice around here for sore throats is a mix of lemon juice, honey, and olive oil. About a third of a cup, sipped over a period of 20 minutes or so, will do the trick. This comes from Lloyd's Creole grandmere.