Bought a house

nechee

My husbands Uncle actually had a house for sale in our price range. Our real estate agent was basically jerking our chains. Every house that we have looked at she found something wrong with and most of those houses sold within days of us looking at them. So after firing her my husbands uncle said that he had a house that he was currantly renting out but that the tenants were moving out. We went to look at it and it is great. It has a room in the basement all finished already that will be perfect for a craft room. It is only three blocks to the kids school so I will not have to get them up at 5 am anymore to take their father to work so I can drive to school. They will just have to get used to walking. We move in May 1st. Now it is just the waiting game to see if our mortgage is approved. According to our mortgage broker it should be approved no problem. I am so glad that the looking part is over with. I have no pictures yet, but plan on taking one soon.

congratulations, may you have happy times in your future home.

I find it weird that your agent kept finding things wrong with the houses you looked at. Usually they keep telling you "isn't this great?"

When I was a young wife, I went with an agent to look at some starter homes. We walked into one that she admitted she hadn't seen yet. We looked around, the owner was there at the time. Well, the house was terrible, tiny rooms, goofy floorplan, glossy enamel paint on all the walls, in colors like lime green. The agent and I went down to the cobweb festooned basement and stood there for a moment just staring at each other. She whispered to me, "Let's just wait down here for a few minutes so we won't hurt her feelings", then we thanked the homeowner and left.

My parents are the ones providing our down payment so I think our real estate agent was holding out to see how high they would go with their down payment so she could get a bigger commission. Anything that we looked at that was below our price range that we liked she found something wrong with it, like the furnace needed replacing and the windows needed to be replaced. One she tried to tell us that the roof was falling in but the owner had said that the roof had been replaced last year. We fell in love with one house that had a huge attic. The only work that it needed was a piece of inside trim replaced and the attic could have been finished if we felt like it. But she told us to hold off on it because she wanted to look into something about it first. Well she held off too long and it sold for less then the price we were willing to pay for it. That was when we realized that she was just stringing us along to try to get a bigger commission. We fired her the next day and while looking for another real estate agent my husbands uncle said that he had a house that we could buy privately through him. We decided to take that house and say forget finding another real estate agent. I am happy with it, and so is my husband. I am just hoping our mortgage is approved.

I grew up in a family of Realtors... what she did is a real no-no - particularly in this climate! You always represent your client first and foremost. My aunt is an awesome realtor - she's always telling me of the deal she got this client or the amount she got for this other client's house... always FOR the client. In this recession the last thing you want to be doing is jerking around the people you represent. You did the right thing, and kudos for having the backbone to do so! Hope she learned a valuable lesson...

What a great time to buy, you get what... an additional $8,000 tax deduction on home purchases this year? That is AWESOME!

Congratulations!!

When we were looking for a house, we hired a buyer`s agent. She helped us out but she also understood that there was NO way we were going to get a house that was near our top tier price range. Nope. We knew that 11 years ago that there were houses to be had on the cheap and we did not mind having to do a little bit of sweat equity.

She steered us away from many houses with asbestos. We had no clue but she did (of course). We looked at 20 houses (give or take) and this was the one we decided on. I think it was the yard...LOL

I am glad you are going to get to be a homeowner. You will have plenty of headaches but it is all worth it.

My realtor was awesome. When we had decided to move, we looked at a bunch of houses and couldn't find anything. We decided not to move, so he showed up at our door with a couple in the car and said even though we weren't for sale, could he show the house so they could get an idea of what the houses in the area looked like. They made me a cash offer I couldn't refuse. I had two weeks to find a house. I looked at 100 houses and then found my dream house. Now that was a realtor worth every dime.

I wish you the best in your new home.

Congratulations Kathie, I hope the mortgage is accepted and you have many happy years in your new home. I see you are in Ontario, anywhere close to Toronto?

Der.... I forgot you were in Canada! I've really got to pay ore attention to that when I go and mention US housing purchase incentives! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the mortgage has been approved and we are all set to move the 1st of May. Our mortgage broker was starting to really irritate me. SHe was trying to get my husband off of the mortgage so that house was entirely in my name and not his. I don't like to work that way, so I fired her and went for the long shot at the bank my husband and I deal with. Well, the long shot paid off. We got approved for our mortgage at a better interest rate then what the mortgage broker was offering us, so a cheaper payment and our taxes are included in the mortgage. I am so happy, I have already started packing the things I know I will not use or need until after we move.

To the person that mentioned the tax rebate or break...my husband is a realtor. Anyone buying a house and counting on that break needs to be aware that the tax 'rebate' has to be repaid within so many years. It's more a tax deferment than a rebate. Our accountant told us we could take it, since we hadn't bought a house in over 3 years. We decided against it, as it has to be paid sometime and we'd just as soon pay more now, when we have it. Who knows what it will be like farther down the economic road? But the point is to not decide you can afford a house now, just because you think you're going to get out of paying some taxes!