Physical Therapy

Deb

Heidi, Another thing you might have them check is your potassium level. when mine was real low i had the same symptom. Weird but as soon as I got on prescribed potassium it quit.

I have my potassium levels checked (along with kidneys and liver) because I am a diabetic. Part and parcel for the course. They are always fine and I love bananas.

This is something that came on suddenly. That is why I and my collection of friends and loved ones think it is neurological. Thanks for the idea though. Many people may not know that there is great powers in bananas. Just like an apple a day..you should do a banana a day too! Does a body good!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are on certain potassium-sparing drugs... Then check with the prescriber before eating bananas, raisins, etc;; too much potassium isn't good for heart rhythms.

Oh Holly, I know all about that. I am up on knowledge on everything I take. Plus, my other leg is fine. The only thing bothering that leg is my foot is crampy but I KNOW that is because I am favoring it more.

Tomorrow I will send Fred off with is lunch money and his note for the teacher.

I figured you knew, Heidi, that potassium caveat was for those whose doctors might have forgotten to remind them.

So, Dawn, how are you feeling today?

Everyone else went on a 4 1/2 mile hike; I have picked up something intestinal & thought it a shrewder move not to stray too far from the Throne Room.

I think Fred was getting a bit miffed at me yesterday. I had a hard time doing much of anything that required me to stand or walk for very long. We went to the beach to walk on the boardwalk but I just could not do it. We sat on the bench and people watched. I told him he could go walk it because I did not mind but he did not. If you walk to entire boardwalk twice, it is a mile.

I could not cook dinner on Saturday or on Sunday. I really tried to do it but it hurt too much. He had to cook. I could tell he was not pleased. I really do not need to feel guilty that I cannot do much right now. I have enough in my head. Feeling kind of sad about this whole thing. What if this is permanent?

Even though I am grossly overweight, I was always active. I have fatigue issues but when I had to get the job done, it was done. Now I cannot. I am not getting depressed about it, just worried and P.O ed about the whole thing. One day everything is fine and the next day it is drastically different. It just goes to show you that you cannot take your health for granted. I feel like a lame horse who`s days are numbered..LOL

heidiii i feel guilty about everything i was so out going and active b4 i got ill. i was at college during the day working towards my forcnsic career which i was a yr away from and i had a part time job straight after college and had to walk there n back which is just over a mile either way. then at weekends i wud be out dancing at clubs with friends. i even managed to go for a run every night and the gym twice a week. now im a useless lump in a wheelchair i cant use the cooker as its dangerous for me and we had to get a tfal quick cup instead of a kettle as i kept scaulding myself but i have to drink my tea at the kettle as i cant get the hot filled cup thru to the living room. i cant reach the sink to do dishes the hoover is too awkward for me and even marital one on one time is draining and painfull. my hubby puts up with a lot but i have to put up with his bad attitude at having to do every thing. i hate it. i have even had sueicidel thoughts. every thing came to blows yesturday and we almost split up but after a lot of tears and talking we have set an acction plan and we r going to get help to sort thru things and hope it helps as i cant go on like this it is too much. it feels like life has been taken from me and im left with a bare exssistance. i dont remember breaking any mirrors but still three yrs of bad luck i must have done something wrong. when things start going right now i dont get hopefull as i know they will soon turn south and the rough times will be back.

wow i didnt mean to drag on so much sorry

Dawn, I'm so sorry for your situation. I hope you and your husband are able to find someone who can help you through this. I can see how it is wearing on both of you in a big way. B) :)

I had to go to the credit union today and the PT is right next door. So I went in and got all my paperwork to fill out ahead of time, my parking pass, and they told me to dress comfortably.

My appointment is on Thursday at 8:30 am. I am also treating myself on Wednesday to a new pair of sneakers. It has been almost a year so I am due.

the best thing for physio is a comfy trackies and some trainers that r easy to take off and put back on as they get u to remove shoes to do some stretches and then put them back on for other things. we have a shop called primark and it has good cheap clothes i got a pair of shoes for £2 that r perfect and i got trackies and a two piece top set for a total of £8 so it is a perfect colour coded set for physio only. oh and if u have long hair tie it back i know it is an odd thing to think about but it gets in the way. take something to drink and a sugary snack with u so u can recharge as it does help afterwards. i think thats it all i think of anyway

Fred just called me. He talked to his Neurosurgeon friend. He said that you CAN have that problem (the foot) with sciatica BUT if it is not getting better then I need to see someone in his office right away. I should have seen improvement in my foot already.

There office is closed for the day so I will be calling first thing in the morning. They only take patients on a referral. I cannot say that he said to call because it was on the down low. So everyone pray that they let me come into the office without a referral. Otherwise I am going to have to find a way to get one.

So everyone pray that they let me come into the office without a referral. Otherwise I am going to have to find a way to get one.

You know I will!!!!

Hugs and you dial that phone! And they better listen to you or you will have to send me their email and I can deliver a little wake up call for them... :console:

Anna,

Fred is a really laid back kind of guy. If it was no big deal..like you need an appointment but it is not a priority..he would have said that. But the first words out of his mouth after I said Hello were the doc said you need to be seen ASAP.

Now I am worried. I need to finish the floor in the livingroom of the Arthur tomorrow and get all the trim done as fast (but as nice) as I can. If I end up having to go under the knife (NO NO NO!) I want this dh done before then.

Thanks for the prayers. I will be doing some of my own tonite.

Heidi, can't you just call your GP and tell him you need a referral? Or go to the emergency room and have the doc there refer you?

I do not want to go the ER route. That was a disaster the first time around. I think I will call my regular dr and skip the neurologist. I have a feeling he might just tell me it will be fine. I will talk to my gp or the nurse and tell them ASAP me to the neurosurgeon. I talked to Fred at a bit more length later. The neurosurgeon says that I need to get it checked out. When Fred told him my foot has been behaving, that is when he changed to saying it was probably just sciatica to call my office.

I have a appt with the regular neuro in two weeks but I do not want to wait that long. It is getting harder and harder to do things like walk up and down the stairs. This is from a woman that was chasing the cat across the yard when he got out a month ago.

I will let you all know happens.

Anna,

Fred is a really laid back kind of guy. If it was no big deal..like you need an appointment but it is not a priority..he would have said that. But the first words out of his mouth after I said Hello were the doc said you need to be seen ASAP.

Now I am worried. I need to finish the floor in the livingroom of the Arthur tomorrow and get all the trim done as fast (but as nice) as I can. If I end up having to go under the knife (NO NO NO!) I want this dh done before then.

Thanks for the prayers. I will be doing some of my own tonite.

Well I am happy that Fred is there and that he was able to get to see this doc, and I will keep thinking positive thoughts your way, you know that! Hug Fred as well just for him being him ;)

Hugs

back from another session and it was not too bad this time altho paul didnt seem happy when i told him im not doing the parallel bars. i just explained to him it is not about the fact i will recover b4 the next session it about the days inbetween. i have to live in between sessions and i need my arms to get me around and the fact that tom is going away fishing over the weekend leaving me alone i need the use of my arms. he finally understood and we just did the stretches and the auto bike then the standing frame. i told him about how i plan to ask my gp for sativex now that it is legal to perscribe without having permission from the medical board. i tried it just over a yr ago i know i shudnt have but a friend gave me some and i only needed to use it once or twice a day instead of three times. i had virtually no pain, no depression, no muscle ach i could sleep better and best of all i had no side effects. the only bad thing is that when u squirt it under the tongue it does sting slightly but it goes away in a few seconds. any way the physio wrote it down and i think he is going to look it up.

Tomorrow is my first PT day. I bought myself a new pair of Steve Madden sneaks. I am fully prepared to tell them to be careful with me. I will just give them a big whack if they hurt me.

I just got back. I have a nice young handsome therapist. Nice conversationalist and down to earth. My kind of person. It was basically a evaluation session. He gave me some stretching exercises to do at home. One of the really hurt my foot so he said to only do it once a day (instead of 3) and to lower my leg if it hurts during the session.

I am going to buy a yoga mat today so that I can do them in the livingroom.

He made me feel good. Even in my physical (hear fatty) state, my leg and abdominal muscles are very strong. He was surprised. Not mean surprised but surprised that I could lift my legs up with my stomach muscles. I could not do a sit up to save my life and I told him so and we laughed. I also told him about the gym. He said to hold off on it for now but he understands how I feel. I want to go soooo badly. I am not like before where I was kinda like eh! But He said to not go at all until we figure out what is going on. With lower my calories and working on my stomach muscles he said I should be able to start doing sit ups very easily in the future.

He knows I am going to the Neuro tomorrow and we will gear to just stretching right now until we know what is up. He was concerned that I was having difficulty walking down stairs and my foot flop.

So I have to see him twice a week (Mon and Fri) starting on St. Patty`s Day. I need to dig out a bright green shirt for that day.

I am fine. Not in any pain that I have not been feeling before.

Good so far. We will see what next week brings.

Great to hear that the therapist listens to you Heidi, and a bonus he is a nice fella' as well :wave:

You take it easy and I will keep fingers major crossed for you tomorrow!!!! (There will be a spell thought as well :wave: )

HUGS