4/5/06 How Do You View Your Pet?

Most definitely C. George is our baby now that the real babies have left home. In fact, our girls are jealous of the attention he gets sometimes. LOL

Well, definatly "C". I had to take our three cats to the pound a few weeks ago. I cried the whole way there, while the lady helped me fill out the paperwork and the whole way home. I know it is a very good shelter and it is a no kill shelter so I know they will be happy.

Our three cats are family. They have the run of the house and yard (when Ray or I are home to supervise). A lot of our household routine revolves around Dudley - he's been insulin diabetic for about 6 or 7 years now. Right now, Missy Mew is laying on the kitchen table while Ray is loading the dishwasher. Trinity is sitting beside the computer keyboard, and Dudley is waiting in the living room for me to come and cuddle up next to him. They sleep in our bed at night. We have a scratching post in every room of the house, so scratching furniture has never been a problem. The house is set up for the cats as much as for Ray and I. We have cat trees at three windows, and a dresser in front of another one (for their viewing pleasure). Our bird feeder is even set up a few feet away from the bedroom window.

Yet, we're definitely a C at our house.

Susanne

Oh Melanie! I'm so sorry for you! May I come cry with you?

Definitely C for us, though Terpsichore went through a "just an animal" phase when she was having trouble settling in. (The third incident of bedwetting will do that for ya.) Now she looks at us like, "You're getting attaaaaaached!" (However, managing to scratch my forehead while I was asleep was not her most popular move. My bangs aren't long enough to cover it, either.)

This is Xanthippe, the senior cat. And this is Terpsichore Rosarita Maria Elena Taqueria de Los Gatos y Santa Clara, the newer moggie. Here are both of them together, though as far apart as possible.

Definitely a C here too! For all of them, except Mikey, who broke three of my decanters. Of all of them though, Chloe is probably most our baby, followed by Tashi.

A, although I beg to remind everyone that there is no "just" a pet, pets are working members of a household whether their function is entertainment, companionship, or actual physical labor. Our three-legged old part-Beagle is our DEW siren.

Our three dogs are definitely members of the family - just ask them & they'll tell you :D

Fancy (Miss Fancy Pants) was our first fur-baby. We adopted her from the humane society 9 years ago. My husband worked nights then & I wanted a big dog for company & protection while he's away. We both fell for her when we went to visit the pound. According to the humane society she had been abandoned & had been roaming the streets for several days before store owners called them to come get her.

She never was any sort of protection :D She's always been afraid of practically everything. Not much of an outdoor dog either - she hates to be alone. But she's such a cuddler & loves to be loved. She acts like a perpetual puppy too - always galloping through the house with a big goofy grin on her face! Arthritis is starting to slow her down some - but she still thinks she's a puppy!

Then there's Cooter. No - we didn't name him that :D he came with that name. We adopted him from a woman who was going through a divorce & had to move into an apartment that didn't allow dogs. He was advertised as being a Min Pin and while he probably is at least part Min, he's definitely got something else in the mix too - cause he's way too big & wide to just be a Min Pin. He's the most cuddly, affectionate, silly guy! Not real bright though - my husband often tells him he would be dangerous if he had two brain cells to rub together!

And last but not least, there's Pookie (or Princess Pookie if you ask my husband). We bought her about 8 years ago from a breeder. I had always wanted a dog like her - thought they were the most beautiful dogs! So when I saw her I just had to have her. She was supposed to be my dog. Only problem - she didn't particularly care for me. She absolutely adores my husband though. Thinks the world revolves around him. This is her in her "princess bed" - yeah, she even has her own bed - a little canopy princess thing we got at Toys R Us! She is absolutely spoiled rotten - and she knows it! She's allergic to practically everything and has to take shots every three weeks for the allergies. We also make her food for her because of her allergies.

Our cat, Trixie is definately a C, our fur baby. She came to us when she was three and pretty well set in her ways. We have adapted to her likes and dislikes.....certainly not the other way around. She sleeps with us and follows us around from room to room. She does not like to cuddle, sit on laps, or show affection in any way. But you know, we love her just the same.

They are definatley members of the family. Spock and Rudy are our adopted pound puppies. Spock was six years; Rudy six months. Rudy is like one of the younger kids, the three of them can really cause a rukus. Luna and Fatboy are our second and third generation cats. Luna was from my cat, Snowball's first litter, Fatboy is from Luna's very last litter.

Yeesh tough question to answer.. not exactly a family member.. not exactly just an animal.. and not really a pet. We have 2 cats that I raised from just a week or so old - bottle fed them but they're adults now they have thier own lives and they're very much individual animals.. then there is the nephew's cat's who also live here, and at least they're respectful - the dog is actually my sons and occasionally forgets that I'm the Alpha human here but mostly is a pretty darn good roommate. I guess I consider them somewhere between neighbors (the newphew's cats), room mates and creatures in my care - I don't feel like I own them but they do belong here and I definitely don't think of them as my kids - I guess good roommates would be the closest comparison.

-David

Lisa, we have a min-pin too. His name is Tyson aka Tysa, Tysa-roonie-toonie, Roonie, Roonifer, Roo-Roo, and Toony. And he responds to them all. Chelsea decided that he would come to anything so she started calling him Pierre! Nothing! ROFL Our min is on the hefty side but I think that is because he is a pig. We have his papers so he is definitely pure bred.

Definitely C. All 3 cats and 2 dogs have nicknames, we scold them like they are kids, and we stay awake at night when they are sick.

I would have to say C. All of our pets are family. I think they thing like Deb's cat Napoleon, they aren't pets but they have them--us! :D

Dee Dee is my greyhound, adopted from Greyhound Pets of America. She lives with my dad because he's the best spoiler, and my dad loves her to death. She likes Henry, but prefers my parent's house because she gets her own bed!(a toddler bed revamped with a small mattress and blanket)

JuneBug is my big guy who lives outside. Talks to me and walks me to the studio, and generally patrols the yard. He is...BIG! :D I have never seen a cat that big, and well, weird. He loves laying in the sun, and is basically more lazy than Sweetie Pie.

Sweetie Pie or Little Girl, as my hubby calls her, is a stray that decided to stay because the food is good. Now Junebug gets swatted by her--she tells him when he can eat!It's funny to see those two get along--and Sweetie Pie doesn't leave the yard or the deck--those are her territories.

I once had a cat named Cynthia Jane who was diabetic and needed insulin too--she was 13 when she contracted the diabetes. It was heartrending to have to give her insulin every day--I still have her collar with bells she wore, if I didn't hear the bells, I knew to go looking for her. I feel for you Susanne, they are our babies even when we don't or do have kids.

post-83-1144329757_thumb.jpg

post-83-1144329823_thumb.jpg

Our min is on the hefty side but I think that is because he is a pig.

That's so funny!!! Cooter is such a pig himself! Seriously, after having him for a few weeks, I thought he had an eating disorder :D Can dogs even have eating disorders? When he knows it's meal time he will race back & forth through the kitchen barking and jumping & getting super hyper - then when his bowl is set down for him he gobbles it all up so fast - like he hasn't eaten in days! Takes him less than two minutes to eat his meals!

We took him to the vet to see if there was a medical reason for his eating behavior, and to make sure that we were feeding him enough and often enough. The vet said yes, we were feeding him appropriately - we were actually feeding him more than he really needed. The vet found no medical reason for his eating behavior (acting like he's in starving mode) - and just chalked it up to bad manners on Cooter's part - lol!

I think that is a trait of minpins. You feed them and then they want more. Garbage disposal. Tyson has an affinity for coffee. You cannot leave your cup of coffee anywhere within his reach. I have gotten up to go to bathroom, came back and my half cup full of coffee was empty.

Then an hour later he is zooming on caffiene high!

Does your min steal? Steal stuff and run up and hide it under the bed? trait!

Does he scratch and knead at blankets and pillows until they are just right? trait!

I said I would never get anymore dogs after mine pass away, but I think I will always have a min in my life. Just like I will always have a Siamese in my life! He is my baby, my hot water bottle, the bain of my existence sometimes! (watch out, they like avocado pits! not good)

Tyson has an affinity for coffee. You cannot leave your cup of coffee anywhere within his reach. I have gotten up to go to bathroom, came back and my half cup full of coffee was empty.

Then an hour later he is zooming on caffiene high!

Does your min steal? Steal stuff and run up and hide it under the bed? trait!

Does he scratch and knead at blankets and pillows until they are just right? trait!

I laughed myself silly reading about Tyson & his affinity for coffee! Yes - Cooter loves coffee! I've taken to drinking mine in one of those travel mugs with lids so he can't get to it :D

As far as stealing, Cooter doesn't take any *people* things - not that I'm aware of anyways, but if it's a treat or toy that belongs to one of the other dogs - it's fair game! He will try to steal theirs - even when he has his own right there in front of him! Not a wise thing to do with our little dog Pookie - 'cause she'll rip his head off for trying! (sometimes Pookie will actually walk a few paces away from her treat and then lay down watching it & Cooter - just waiting for him to go after it so she can go on the attack! Silly boy always falls for it too).

And yep - he has to primp & fluff his bedding to get it "just so" :D

He is, without a doubt, the goofiest dog I've ever known! He thinks he's ten-feet tall & bullet proof when it comes to other dogs - BIG dogs! When we went camping last year he ripped his harness right off to go after a huge dog that could've eaten him for breakfast! Scared me half to death!

He's also very territorial - and as far as he is concerned - his territory includes everything as far as his eyes can see! He will sit in the livingroom window seat and bark at the neighbors as they drive by! And he goes nuts (barking) if they (the neighbors) should have the nerve to walk out of their house! Needless to say - we have a very big, very strong fence surrounding our backyard - so the neighbors never have to deal with him.

His quirky personality traits sometimes really test my nerves & patience! But he is also the most lovable, funniest, loyal & sweet dog I've ever had.

There are worse things in life than having a fur-baby that worships the ground you walk on!

Lisa

how do I view our pets??? I don't think that really matters...THEY VIEW them as family!! :D:) So therefore we lowly humans must agree right :D

I don't have any pets right now but I want a kitten so bad! I have a friend who has 5 newborn kittens (They are about 1 month old now) I know I can't have one yet but boy do I want one!! We don't have space for the 5 of us here so I can't possibly think of adding someone else...right?

I do think when we move I am gonna adopt a furkid for sure!