4/5/06 How Do You View Your Pet?

We don't have space for the 5 of us here so I can't possibly think of adding someone else...right?

In my humble opinion, there's always room for a fur-baby :lol: Besides, how much room could one little, cuddly, soft, adorable, fluffy kitty take up???

Yeah, I know I'm not much help :D

Lisa

I don't have any pets right now but I want a kitten so bad! I have a friend who has 5 newborn kittens (They are about 1 month old now) I know I can't have one yet but boy do I want one!! We don't have space for the 5 of us here so I can't possibly think of adding someone else...right?

I do think when we move I am gonna adopt a furkid for sure!

There are five humns in my house and we have 3 dogs all of them under 2 years of age :D I say go for it and one of those kitties :lol: Iam a bad influence when it comes to fur babies :lol:

Def!!!! the more the better...we have three dogs and a cat...ALL of which are LONG fur babies...or actually queen of sheba (the cat) :D:) she thinks so anyway...and they live with the five humans in this house...there is ALWAYS room for fur babies!!!!

Yes, bring on the furbabies. Henry, our indoor cat, insisted when I found him on the front porch of coming into the house. I think he had been dropped in the neighborhood, because he was very accustomed & aclimmated to house living. So he made himself at home.

Junebug I encountered when I worked for a security firm at one of our contracts. He was almost feral, but I was amazed at how he made himself at home! I thought of getting him accustomed to inside living, but he likes outside too much! He actually will roll in the dirt and the snow. Definitely a weird cat.

Sweetie Pie is just that---a sweetie pie. Talks to you , couldn't have better company. She was a neighbor's cat who wasn't being fed, I fed her, and she decided to stay.

I can understand why you want a kitten Tracey. We are cramped here and Henry is constantly underfoot, but they are so lovable you just can't resist. Whenever one of us is sick, we call him Dr. Henry because he curls up next to you, and just snuggles and purrs. Cats are good for calming folks down with high blood pressure, or so I've read, and I believe it's true.

You all are so BAD!! I Love it! Hubby says I can get one when we move and I do get to go play with the little babies. Chris Likes Dogs (I don't and I don't know why) But I like Cats and always have. We'll see who wins when we move. We may end up with 1 of each LOL.

Friends more than family.We have a brother and sister pair of older Italian greyhounds,Buster and Ginger and a Humane Society muted tortie cat,Sara.I've been out of work for several long stretches of time over the past year and a half and they have been my constant companions.Ginger's my best friend in the world,a little barrel with a spindly legs,one of them twisted from a badly healed fracture,and the biggest,happiest heart.

You all are so BAD!! I Love it! Hubby says I can get one when we move and I do get to go play with the little babies. Chris Likes Dogs (I don't and I don't know why) But I like Cats and always have. We'll see who wins when we move. We may end up with 1 of each LOL.

I was always a dog person - not even small dogs - big dogs, the bigger the better. My all time favorite breed will always be the german shephard - that was my first dog and my best friend growing up. Then one day mid summer, the day before I turned 16 it was 104, waiting for my mom who was in the store shopping and I was too hot and miserable to be around people.. saw a pair of eyes staring at me from under a parked car in the lot. So I started coaxing. The kitten would come out.. see someone else and run back under a car. It took about 45 min of coaxing for it to come within about 6 feet of me and then it collapsed unconsious. It was very emaciated and really dehydrated and I didn't think it would survive the car ride home - but he did and for quite a few years I was the only one who could get close to him. He lived as an outdoor cat (my dad wouldn't hear of having one indoors) was solid muscle and lived to be over 15 years old. I loved that cat! Since him there's been many litters of bottle fed babies - the younges being just a about 3 days and one thing I learned is that - there's always room for a cat.. or another cat :D And none of my dogs have ever minded... my dad had a dog that wasn't thrilled.. the cat would kick him out of the dog house on rainy days heheh.

-David

my home is heidi`s house of wayward animals..

Pokie (dog) was my good friends. She had to move and couldnt take her. We had just bought this house. I knew Pokie since she was like 1yr old. She is now close to 14. We decided that when she goes, we will split the vet bill and have her ashes split. 1 half 4 her, 1 half 4 me.

Tyson was also from Donna, (see a pattern) She got him from someone that didnt want him anymore. That person kept him in a crate for long periods of time. At donna`a house, he was alone most of the day, didnt know how to go bathroom outside, stole out of garbage, wouldnt eat dog food, and bit. He is my favorite baby! I have taught him everything but he still tinkles here and there. I can deal cause I love him. He is 9 yrs.

Ching Ching siamese I got from humane society. He is 12 yr.

Baby and Mittens are two black cats that i got at seperate times from donna. Baby is 8 and Mitty is 13yr.

I told her the shelter is closed.

Oh Precious, our black lab that we had to have put down came from donna indirectly. She knew someone in Navy housing that couldnt keep her. She was 8 months old then. She was with us until she was 7yr old.

I think that too often in life we deny ourselves those things that bring us pleasure. We have this mindset of the number of allowable things we can have that make us happy. One miniature dollhouse, one mini garden, five dolls, one cat, one dog, on goldfish bowl. Why can't we have 5 cats if they make us happy (and we look after them). Why can't we have a whole village of dollhouses (and another community under construction)? Why should we only do hobbies on Saturday or Sunday? Why can't we endulge in our passions and hobbies every day. Why can't we eat chocolate cake for supper (okay, Holly, maybe not every day).

Bring on the animal companions. If you love them and look after them .... who are "THEY" that put the limits on our lives. My animals bring me such joy. So what if Dudley needs an insulin injection every day. So what if Missy Mew likes to sit on the kitchen table when we eat (she doesn't like people food so we don't have to compete with her for the food on our plate :D). BTW, Missy Mew is also an artist. While she doesn't like to eat the food that we do, she does like to fish the occasional morsel off of our plates and create an ort. We had always thought that she had just like to be a nuisance, but I came across this word while doing a crossword puzzle. Now I know that food is just a medium for her artform. Who would have known?

Susanne

I think that too often in life we deny ourselves those things that bring us pleasure. We have this mindset of the number of allowable things we can have that make us happy. One miniature dollhouse, one mini garden, five dolls, one cat, one dog, on goldfish bowl. Why can't we have 5 cats if they make us happy (and we look after them). Why can't we have a whole village of dollhouses (and another community under construction)? Why should we only do hobbies on Saturday or Sunday? Why can't we endulge in our passions and hobbies every day. Why can't we eat chocolate cake for supper (okay, Holly, maybe not every day).

Bring on the animal companions. If you love them and look after them .... who are "THEY" that put the limits on our lives. My animals bring me such joy. So what if Dudley needs an insulin injection every day. So what if Missy Mew likes to sit on the kitchen table when we eat (she doesn't like people food so we don't have to compete with her for the food on our plate :D). BTW, Missy Mew is also an artist. While she doesn't like to eat the food that we do, she does like to fish the occasional morsel off of our plates and create an ort. We had always thought that she had just like to be a nuisance, but I came across this word while doing a crossword puzzle. Now I know that food is just a medium for her artform. Who would have known?

Susanne

Thank you Susanne! I wholeheartedly agree! Jimmy has not made the mistake of telling me how many cats I have. When Chloe appeared on the scene, we took her--although that was more him than me--and we already had Allie and Gracie at that house. When the 3 kittens appeared at the other house, we fed them, and their mama. I sitll feed their mama. When Mikey appeared here, I feed him too. A gray cat appeared here too, and I feed him everytime he appears on my doorsteps. It makes me happy to do this, and I can talk to them all.

Tracy, go get your kitten when it gets old enough! If you've always wanted one, then you should have one. Plus all the kids would love the kitten! If Chris says anything, just tell him it has something to do with that Mercedes, LOL!

If Chris says anything, just tell him it has something to do with that Mercedes, LOL!

That's too old to bring up now. :lol: He usually don't deprive me of anything and when he says no it always means not at this moment and because he is so good and spoils me I don't mind waiting. It makes good sense to wait till we move because we are about to list our place on the market and I can't stand picking up after the kids right now (I have been moody all week about there messy rooms and the fact that it can't look like this when we have "showings").

Plus, we may end up renting an apartment before when move into our house and the one place we are looking into do not have pets. this one is close to the house we are building and to the schools and expressway so I know his NO ment not yet.

I know I am gonna get a kitten when we move for sure :lol:

Linda, I think I know which one it's gonna be too. I am so in love with this one little cutie of my friends. I call him Buttons. :D

day mid summer, the day before I turned 16 it was 104, waiting for my mom who was in the store shopping and I was too hot and miserable to be around people.. saw a pair of eyes staring at me from under a parked car in the lot. So I started coaxing. The kitten would come out.. see someone else and run back under a car. It took about 45 min of coaxing for it to come within about 6 feet of me and then it collapsed unconsious. It was very emaciated and really dehydrated and I didn't think it would survive the car ride home - but he did and for quite a few years I was the only one who could get close to him. He lived as an outdoor cat (my dad wouldn't hear of having one indoors) was solid muscle and lived to be over 15 years old. I loved that cat! .

-David

David -

You have a warm heart. I'm so glad you found that little kitty. BTW, What did you call him?

Susanne

well our fur guy milo is part of the family...all of the preperations for our trip to Chicago was all about what we should do with the poop(milo poopoo puppy is what I call him)

he is an rescued Italian Greyhound with just 3 useable legs and seasonal arthritis. we have had him for 9 yrs now. the oldest boys first question after hello is always about the dog.

and the grndbaby loves "PUP" her name for him.

he travels with us on our trips to Florida and is treated like an honored guest there as well.

he is very loving but offers no protection under ant circumstances. and all who enter are welcome as long as they will spend 20 mins petting him.

can we say SPOILED!

post-9-1144592369_thumb.jpgpost-9-1144592389_thumb.jpg

he likes to curl up on my lap like a cat and if Im on computer to long he comes and watches me.

definatly another dern kid!

nutti :D

David -

You have a warm heart. I'm so glad you found that little kitty. BTW, What did you call him?

Susanne

Thanks Susanne,

I called him "kid" - he was after all my kid :D (and I'm horrible at naming creatures) He used to wait for me to get home every day and meet me at the car :lol: Funny thing is I"ve never been without a cat since! - eh.. did I say "a cat"?.. usually 3 or 4 :lol: We have lots of feral cats here, some really want a home and decide to stay with our cats and become more roommates, others just pass through and grab a meal.

-David

Why can't we endulge in our passions and hobbies every day. Why can't we eat chocolate cake for supper (okay, Holly, maybe not every day).

Unless there's specific health concerns against the daily chocolate cake, you'll get NO arguments from me; I NEED the daily exercise, but if it weren't for DH I'd gladly get all of it running from the drying glue to the computer and back to paint!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My pets are all definately C.

In fact, we are leaving to Las Vegas for a week, and I'm totally worried about leaving them here, even though I have someone watching them and staying at the house all week. My husband says it's like leaving a new baby for the first time. Here's pics:

Lionel, who was a shelter rescue (go petfinder!). He was in a puppy mill and didn't have that great of a life, but he is sure spoiled now. He's a pug/peke mix.

post-792-1153540936_thumb.jpg

Niko was also a petfinder.com find. Was suposed to be the husband's dog, but now is a total momma's boy. He's my tiny tater, and weighs all of 6 lbs.

post-792-1153540736_thumb.jpg

Buddy was our little "accident" child. My aunt brought him from Vegas, told me he was a 5 lb chihuahua. A lady I worked with was looking for a chi, so I went and got him from my aunt. He's definately not a full chi, and he was most definately not 5 lbs. More like 10. But they were going to take him to a kill shelter if I didn't take him, so the husband and I took him home, figuring that if my co-worker didn't want him, I could take him to the no kill shelter in our town. Hint: big mistake if you don't want to keep the dog. We've had him a year and a half now, and he and Niko are our yin and yang.

post-792-1153541213_thumb.jpg

And then there is the ruler of the kingdom (our house)... Maggie the cat. My husband got her from the shelter when she was a little kitten, a couple of years before we even knew one another. She's a great cat, very smart (even though she took a good 2 years to warm up to me). She comes when you whistle for her, and likes to talk to birds out the window.

post-792-1153541347_thumb.jpg

Our cat Sniffer was abandoned out in the cold rain in the late fall when I found him. He was maybe six months old at best. Being a sucker for kittens I picked him up and took him home. DH just looked at me and said 'yeah I guess, he won't be here for to long'. 14 years later he is still with us and I wouldn't change a thing about him. He still acts like a kitten when he feels like it and attacks me when I walk past (I think he just likes to hear me scream :( ). He lays downstairs with me when I'm working on the dh and just generally keeps us company when we need it. But the biggest quirk that he has is he waits in the window every morning for the mailman, when he shows up Sniffer starts hissing and spitting and tries to attack him though the window :D . I was thinking about getting a sign that says 'Beware of Attack Cat' :o .

Oh Krystal! I love your furbabies!

Looking a lil dogs hamming for the camera always makes me smile! I have a Maggie too. But her name is Mittens. She is the queen of the house.

Our Beautiful Melody (Mellie) is 13 1/2, she has lived as long as our other beagle, Riley, and she is definitely a furry senior citizen. The neighbors who babysit her when we travel asked us this time what we wanted them do if she left us before we get back. I realize this was necessary information and we had to deal with it (we did, we selected & marked a site next to Riley, the other beagle), but now I'm sort of fragile. I think I won't read this thread any more until after we get home.

Thanks guys-- Yes they are all definate hams. The black and white shots were fairly easy to do, we had taken all of those shots on the digital, and then I just converted them. Something about black and white made them look more professional I think. We've got so many pics of them all, they are all little characters.