4/5/06 How Do You View Your Pet?

Tiffani,I meant no offense by what I said :clap:

I had a friend that just didn't care for animals at all.I never understood it and we teased each other regarding our difference of opinions,but I still respected her and we still went places and had alot of fun together.She just wasn't raised around pets.That is just who she was and I accepted that.

I think we can all agree that folks will have differing opinions as to how to treat animals and just where they belong. A lot of it is based in how you were raised or the life you grew up in. In the rescue groups we run into all kinds from the "super animal is not property and is my equal" types to the ones that treat them as total disposable property and us more common type somewhere in between.

I personally never had any problem with those who do take care of their animals. Some live all year long outside and are working dogs (or other types of animals) and are respected and loved members of the economic team. Some are members of the family and do their part to contribute to the family well being through affection and trust. But no matter what their position it is a two way contract between us and them and they are due good care, proper food, a warm place to sleep, respect and reasonable medical care once we accept the responsibility of their care.

The ones I do have problems with are those who get a pet "so the kids can experience the wonders of birth" then drop them off at the shelter when they get unruly because they would not invest the time in training, the ones who use the animal as an accessory and feed their own ego then trade them in as often as they change their clothes. I most especially get angry at those who abuse and or dump the animals off in the country, on the streets or in a shelter with no thought or real concern as to what happens to them. Here in the group quite a few of us have run into those.

I understand circumstances arise where there is no choice but to let the animal go, but you have to do the best you can for them and not simply abandon them. Any pet adoption requires an implied "contract" that will last from a few years for some and even up to 50 years for some of our bird friends. People have to accept that fact. I wish there were not the necessity for groups like us for the dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and yes even horses.

Sigh!!!!, Now I will climb down off of my soapbox and become my usual sweet self. Sorry for the sermon.

Beverly, I agree wholeheartedly with you about people who abuse their pets or animals in general. My husband makes fun of me because I still have not forgiven Mike Vick for what he did and I don't think he deserved another chance in the NFL. I in no way, shape or form advocate ANY violence against animals because they have no say in who their owners are or the circumstances of where they come to live.

I have no issue with people who choose to treat their pets as their equals...do I agree..no, but it's not for me to decide how people treat their pets. I for one would never starve so that my dog could eat. That is thinking that I just can't comprehend. I'd find a good home for him with someone who can afford to take care of him if we fell on hard times. But go without eating so the dog can eat?.....ummm no! LOL Again, not condemning those who would, just saying that I don't share that same way of thinking about a pet.

It just seems as if offense is taken by some when others share a strong dissenting opinion, when it doesn't have to be like that. We're all different and will see the world in very different ways. That's all... :clap:

There are tactful ways of saying you don't like something, without making other people feel that you think they are inferior- not as clean, talented, or not as smart, etc. Sometimes we get so fired up about a subject that we forget our manners. Understandable but something we should keep in mind.

I grew up on a farm, so I have a similar view of pets as Tiffany: animals have their place. I've loved all my kitties and terribly miss not having a pet right now (my beloved kitty died almost 5 yrs ago).

While we each share a love of miniatures, we all have different preferences to scale, design and building techniques. The same is true for our love of pets-we love them, but have different views and preferences as to the type of pet and how we care for them....it is as different as our personalities.

So right now I am looking forward to the search for a new kitty and being able to share photos of my fur baby! :clap:

Good luck finding your new kitty baby! Try the local shelter..and think about an adult cat..those poor babies go wanting, while everyone wants kittens. One of the best kitties I've ever had, was a female calico who was roughly three years old when we took her in. She's a treasure.

J

Thanks Jeanne, we think he is gorgeous too. While we will always remember and love the ones we have lost, there is always room in our hearts for one more. Each is so different and their personalities just shine once they have settled in. It looks like it will be another week though as he has to be neutered before we bring him home. It is going to be a 12 hour round trip as he is being fostered in New Jersey but we think is worth it.

Good luck finding your new kitty baby! Try the local shelter..and think about an adult cat..those poor babies go wanting, while everyone wants kittens. One of the best kitties I've ever had, was a female calico who was roughly three years old when we took her in. She's a treasure.

J

Family! I am single, live alone and my two tabby cats are my most precious family.

Definitely consider adopting an adult cat (or dog), saves you from some of the more difficult behavior of puppies and kittens like chewing, house breaking, and baby animals do need much more attention than older animals. I adopted my "boys" from one of our no-kill shelters as one year old adults. They are brothers from the same litter and one of the conditions of adoption from the previous owner was that they had to be adopted together, no splitting them up.

So they are my family, most definitely.

C. Our kitty is definitely a member of the family. XRG88JWQ4PKDJMND1L.jpg

I don't have a picture of him on this computer, but this cat could be his twin! He loves to chew on the velcro on shoes and leather - I carry a reminder of him every day, because I have chew marks on my purse straps and on some of my shoes. He also loves furry, soft things - he will carry stuffed animals around the house in his mouth and he drags the kids fleece blankets off their beds. He's completely weird, but we love him dearly and are so glad we rescued him from the dumpster he lived under.

We got 4 rats a few months ago and I have to say that their behaviour is like a cross between a puppy and a kitten. They really are lovely and friendly. So they are like members of the family and spoilt rotten.

Pet Rats are smart! So clever they can figure out how to get in and out of tough situations, and make food of almost anything. That's why there's so many of them in the wild. Once a rat experiences something negative, it's hard to pull the wool over their eyes, ever again.

It's a shame their cousins, the wild rats, give them such a bad name. . But hey, the wild ones are just trying to survive, so they aren't all that different from us. We're just competitors, with conflicting customs. And long ago before we domesticated them, dogs and cats were considered varmints too.

They can be really pretty too. Another forum member raises them, and even has one of her babies' picture as her avatar. Beautiful critter.

J

Pet Rats are smart! So clever they can figure out how to get in and out of tough situations, and make food of almost anything. That's why there's so many of them in the wild. Once a rat experiences something negative, it's hard to pull the wool over their eyes, ever again.

It's a shame their cousins, the wild rats, give them such a bad name. . But hey, the wild ones are just trying to survive, so they aren't all that different from us. We're just competitors, with conflicting customs. And long ago before we domesticated them, dogs and cats were considered varmints too.

They can be really pretty too. Another forum member raises them, and even has one of her babies' picture as her avatar. Beautiful critter.

J

Yes I think one of my rats might have had a bad experience she was quite stand offish with anyone and would nip at first. he's setttles down a lot now though, That's so true about them being given a bad name.

I have to agree with everything you said there about the rats. All of us have to get by somehow and rats are no exception I suppose.

I'll have to get some pics of my rats and put them on here.

Can't believe it's only been two weeks tomorrow that we had to let our Greyhound Freddy go!! Am sure he's doing fine as I believe the Lord takes care of all critters,

(even Humans.Ha!) It's an adjustment for all..our 4 cats seen OK but our other Grey..Shannon, is kind of lost.She followed Fred everywhere.They were pals.But all

will work out eventually.We'll no doubt get another GH...very sweet and gentle dogs.

We have a sign in our hallway that says:

"Greyhounds and their Housekeeping Staff live here!" :thumb:

We have had Braddock for a week and what a character he has turned out to be. He is a talker! Lots of Roo-roo-roos. We have renamed him Brady since Braddock was a bit too stuffy for such a clown. He has started playing with toys and walks around with them in his mouth (talks as he walks!) He also thinks he is a lap dog and tries to crawl up into my DHs lap. At 83 lbs that is a lot of lap filler.

Definitely Charlie is a family member. She is 12 1/2 years old and I got her at 5 weeks old. She greets everyone coming in thinking they came to see her. Some of my friends truly like her and have her on their lap. If I see someone doesn't want to be bothered I make her go away. She can wear me out wanting to play so we have shorter sessions these days.

She is right at home on 'her' couch and equally in 'our' bed.

gallery_6170_4837_21602.jpg

More on birds another time :-)

I've never met a boxer I didn't like. They have the greatest wriggle, too... it's positively contageous.

Lap dogs, LOL..so does he back up into your lap? Sort of like parking?

J

LOL I know what you mean about 'hanging over the sides'. Our old dog Bud will climb into Zeb's lap..all 110 pounds of him..and drape himself over Zeb's lap. They both fall asleep like that. He looks like a dead deer, strapped over a car hood. They make quite a sight, sitting there in Zeb's recliner together. A boy and his dog, LOL!

J