Keep me in your thoughts

Margaret

I have 2 cats,parents own the rest.My oldest cat is a Persian which I've had for almost 16 years.I got her when she was 3 months old.She has been losing weight and is having problems with litterbox.I will be talking with my vet today as I can't see her suffer and will be having her put down.

Margaret,maybe this is something the vet can treat.

Yes seventeen is older,but many cats live okay longer.

I currently have four kitties that are seventeen or older. Three have slowed down but are active, pain free, and eat well.

The fourth one is very active and seems much younger.

I had one kitty live to be 22 and be healthy until about the last few weeks of her life.

Please wait and see what the vet says. Maybe it's treatable!

My Kitty was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a few weeks ago....he had gotten skinny, lethargic, would not eat much....now he takes a pill twice a day that I crush up in his wet food and he's back to his old self. 

I would say a good vet check-up is in order first.

Will be hoping for a good outcome for your kitty. Always a hard decision to make. We had to have our Momma dog put to sleep yesterday. She was entirely too smart and knew how to open the gate. She didn't do it very often but decided to Saturday and got hit by a car and injured beyond help. We and the 3 daughters of hers that we kept are missing her today.

Will be hoping for a good outcome for your kitty. Always a hard decision to make. We had to have our Momma dog put to sleep yesterday. She was entirely too smart and knew how to open the gate. She didn't do it very often but decided to Saturday and got hit by a car and injured beyond help. We and the 3 daughters of hers that we kept are missing her today.

So sorry to hear about your loss, Julie. :clap:

Margaret, the checkup might be the best, then you can make a rational decision. There has been good advice here given, so don't rush into "putting down" the beloved kitty. It's probably going to be the decision based on what the vet says. Good luck Margaret!

Congratulations you are a loving and responsible owner. You cared enough to do the right thing for your pet. You put it's condition ahead of your feelings. Whenever you feel sad just think of your cat being a kitten again out chasing a butterfly over grass. Your cat is now free of pain and You were kind enough to help it. :clap:

So sorry to hear about your loss, Julie. :clap:

Thank you Liza.

Awww, on the momma dog. My springer can open the gate. I had a padlock with the key next to it when we had chain link, and now I tie the top of the gate with rope (privacy fence) I have yet to find a latch he can't figure out.

We had a broken lock on her gate, just enough to keep her from being able to lift the latch, then she learned to knock it out and open the gate if it wasn't turned the right way. This time someone left the lock off, probably one of the guys that cleans the yard for us.

Margaret, be sure and let us know what you find out!

Julie, I'm so sorry for your loss as well. That's terrible Margaret, I hope you are home and that kitty is still with us for your sake. If not, then you can cry on my shoulder. Hugs,

My cat's name is Angel(her full name is Shalladore Guardian Angel).What is happening to her is unfortunately part of old age.Nothing can be done.I haven't put her down yet but will have to do it soon.

My heart goes out to you Margaret.

Years ago my kitty Princess Caraboo started a nasty habit of piddling on my bed. I was stressed out at the time by the anniversary of my mothers death. Everyone said that I should put my cat down, that it wasn't worth the stress, that Mom wouldn't want me to keep her cat if it became a hardship. It was especially difficult, because Mom died of cancer and I was her primary care giver and I wanted her to be out of pain. I couldn't end Mom's pain and I couldn't put her cat down as an inconvenience.

It turned out her bad behavior was an editorial comment on the state of her litter box, and the problem cleared up, but I was so stressed that I had to undergo some intense therapy.

For many of us out pets are part of the family. Caraboo may be the closest I get to having a child of my own. It is a difficult and painful decision.

I pray you will find peace in your decision.