What reading are you doing?

AuntDee

I love to read and have gone to the library every 3 weeks since I learned to read. One of the best jobs I ever had in high school was working at our little ,and I mean little ,town library. Stamping those books and cards with the due date made me feel very important. My interests are wide and varied. Biographies, history, life in general, gardening, hobbies,sewing, making minitures. cookbooks (that might explain my apple shape), travel, pets, and some fiction (Rosamund Pilchner "Shell Seekers"). Right now I am reading "Little Mother of Russia A biography of Empress Marie Feodorovna" by Caryne Hall. She was the mother of the last Tsar of Russia. Very well written and the information about the Russian Revolution is presented so well. What's on your reading table? What are your favorite topics? Favorite authors? Rita

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I am reading material connecting to the course I am soooooon finishing (early April) so this week I am reading a book on "Vygotskij for real, amongst cheating notes and nerds" (veeeery roiugh translation) interesting to say the least!

Hugs

Right now I'm reading McIlhenny's Gold, the story of the McIlhenny family of Avery Island, Louisiana and their Tabasco sauce business. I usually read the whole book once I open it, but I may make an exception in this case. Some of the family members were not happy to have this book written, and the ones that were seem to have an axe to grind, so the reporting is pretty shaky. Not to mention not very well written and crushingly boring. *yawn*

I just finished David Baldacci's Wish You Well, a lovely story of a family in the Virginia mountains. Lloyd got it for me on a sale table, not knowing I'd already read it. I read it a second time and enjoyed it as much as the first time. :rolleyes:

Right now, Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer is on my end table. I read the 3 previous books last summer, I have a 16 year old daughter and it was required reading for all of us Moms if we wanted to be able to talk to our daughters at all lol! I really enjoyed the other books but I am having trouble getting into this one, I'm pretty much over the whole Edward/ Bella/ Jacob thing.

I did however, go to the library last sunday and took out every book they had at my branch on dollhouses and miniatures :rolleyes: !!!! We left and I realized I hadn't gotten any of the other books I went for lol!! I think I'm getting that sickness everyone else on here has!!!

During the kids summer break, we go to the library every wednesday as a family. We don't have time during the school year with all their afterschool activities and birthday parties and such. So, I keep a list of all the books I'm interested in and catch up on my reading on my lounge chair in the yard in the beautiful warm sun!!! Come ON Summer!!!!!

Every single day I read the local paper online and the NY Post in my hands..page six is so much better when your fingers are inky.

As for books, I just finished reading Mommie Dearest and I am reading the biography of Charlie Chaplin. After that I am going to read Coraline...again.

I'm afraid what I am reading now is really brain candy more then up lifting or educational. I am a vourasous reader and can tear through a 500 page book in an afternoon and often did so when I was much younger and even when I was working. I did a bunch of reading when I signed up for a Tolkien course via the internet with Cardiff University last year and a lot of it was fairly heavy. Was interested in the whole thing when I decided to do the Elrond Library project. Now that I am retired I find I tend to read "epic" science fiction and fantasy series. I was pleasently surprised to pick up a novel at the grocery store last year and got hooked on the series. It was Lord of the Fading Lands by CL Wilson. So far there are three in the series and I really enjoyed them. Haven't been able to do the Twilight thing as Vampires are not quite my thing.

I finally finished Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged a few weeks ago. Let me tell you it's downright scary the similarities and parallels between her book written 51 years ago and what's going on today. Currently I"m reading the Gleim CPA review guide given that the 1st part of my 4-part CPA exam is in a few weeks. In my spare time (HA!) I'm re-reading Orwell's 1984 and today I just got a copy of HP Lovecraft's complete and unabridged works of fiction which I'll probably pick up soon.

Nothing like a little "light" reading in my house, eh?

I have always LOVED the film Somewhere in Time. (My hubby and I were married up on MACKINAC ISLAND in 93) The last time I watched, I only then, saw it was based on a Richrd Matheson Book of BID TIME RETURN. I found it at the librbry(On EBY it's scare) and could haardlk put it down...finished it in just a few days. Now I am going to read another of his soon.

I highly reccommend the above for a summer read!!!

I am reading 'Healing from the Heart' by Dr. Oz and 'Dreams of my Father' by Obama.

Next I have ordered two books, one on reflexology and one on acupressure.

I just finished reading Richters

The Trees, The Fields and the Town.

I read through thousands of legal documents at work every week, and biblical texts, at home, so except for this and the Yamaha rider's forum, I just work on my houses or play with the baby most of the time. I do read a Garrison Keillor or Dave Barry book on occasion.

i'm reading "private practices" by stephen white. i recently acquired his whole series of books (for a good price on ebay!!!) . i had read a couple in the past and enjoyed reading his books...sooooo there are a number of his books that i haven't read yet. i'm glad i have them all now so i can follow the whole series.

Two of my favorite authors are Tony Hillerman and Alexander McCall Smith. I've owned at one time or another every book Tony Hillerman wrote and read each of them more than once. I thoroughly enjoy Smith's series on the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, too. Not only are both men great storytellers, I identify with Precious Ramotswe, whom Smith describes as a lady of traditional build. :rolleyes:

I have also read several "Bolo" books. They're sci-fi stories about Tanks called Bolos that are the size of large hills and have artificial intelligence. There are a handful of authors that have written the books. One is a futuristic version of Sparticus. I had thought about building a small static model of one, but I have too many projects floating around in my head to start another.

I just got a copy of HP Lovecraft's complete and unabridged works of fiction which I'll probably pick up soon.

Nothing like a little "light" reading in my house, eh?

I read most of those. I did not read them all yet. I liked them very much. Of course I am a Stephen King fan from wayyy back. My brother gave me It as a Christmas present when it came out. That was my very first adult book and got me hooked into reading after that.

Right now I am rereading Gone With the Wind for what must be the millionth time and I am also rereading the sequel Scarlett for again the millionth time. I love both those books and could read them over and over. I know this may sound young but my favourite author is V.C. Andrews. I have loved her books since Flowers in the Attic and I have read all of them as soon as they are out on the shelves.

I read a little bit of everything, as previous posts to this general topic have probably shown. In the camper I have Arthur Rackham's Fairy Book I'm previewing for Miss Grayson, and His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis. At home I'm reading a monograph on Medieval women and Tad Williams "Shadowmarch" series (I have the first two, still only about halfway through the first one) and I just finished Brian Jacques' Marlfox and getting ready to begin a monograph on King Arthur. I wish my friend Lucia would get another book published, considering how slowly she writes and then the hoops I have to jump through to find her books, it's a good hing she writes well!

at the moment im reading crimson by dawn goddard (hey thats me) im trying to get it published so im reading it thru to make sure it is ready.

Sounds cool!!! What's it about?

Right now I'm reading Host by Stephanie Myer (again). I've read all of the Twilight books several times.

Cindy, I would push through Breaking Dawn before your daughter does, just to make sure it is not too much for her. I wouldn't let my daughter read it, but she is younger than yours. It is a little more "mature" than the other three.

Right now I'm on book 7 of the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. I must say that he is my favorite author. I read The Talisman on a 3 hr flight one time coming home on leave from the Navy. I just can't seem to put him down.

Stephen King is my all time favorite author as well. I even have a few signed books and first editions of the older books (Shining, Stand, etc). It's a tradition that my father always gets me the newest king book for either my birthday or Christmas. He's always calling me asking what ones I have. I wish I had more time to read.

I finally had to give up on Stephen King, I've never been all that "into" horror fiction (burned out on Poe at a young age) and after Pet Semetary it was like reading variations of the same stories, over & over.

I couldn't really get into Ann Rice's vampire books, either, but her new series is interesting. I read the fantasy stuff mainly to pass along to DS#3.

I'm not into reading horror books (or watching horror movies either for that matter) as I really do not sleep well after having seen or read that type of stuff. I do like a murder mystery now and then and the "China Bayles Mysteries" written by Susan Wittig Albert are fun reading.