What reading are you doing?

AuntDee

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen King all the way. Anne Rice when she wrote about vampires. I plum forgot about Dean Koontz! I have read all the Odd Thomas series and the recent one is sitting on my nightstand. I am in the mood for biographies right now.

I have read everything Dean Koontz has written. Love him!

Has anyone else read the Odd Thomas books?

I've also read the Odd Thomas books - also love Dean Koontz.

I've just finished a re-read of Johanna Spyri's Heidi. Both my mum and I wanted to rediscover this old classic. Its not just a children's story.

I'm currently reading Wally Lamb's The Hour I first Believed.

-Susanne

Susanne,

Wally Lamb is from my area. All of his books are based in this area. Did you read She`s come undone? That mental hospital was THE state hospital until the late 1980s when the governor closed it.

I hated visiting that place.

He also helped with a book that is a collaboration of local female inmates at the prison close by here. That is a good read also.

i have every dean koontz and sandra brown book i love those two i also read some stepen king but i have a hard time keeping intrest i have seen all his movies thought in fact the shining is on the list tonight of movies hubby and i are big horor flick fans we'll he can watch all of them there are a few i cant and there are also a few movies i will not alow in my house

im a big fan of dean koontz too and have read one odd thomas book and have the other waiting to be read. i have so many of his books i have filled my book shelf with them.

my book crimson is about a creature that was created when the earth was he sleeps in the core of the earth for millions of yrs the last time he woke the dinosaurs roamed the earth but his feeding was interupted by a commet. now he is back and humans roam as the new evolution. the humans see him as a crimson mist and when the mist surrounds them they vanish a hand few of them survive as crimson is facinated with them he pushes them together after a long road trip and they r forced to a boat and the rest u will have to read for urself...

if u want u can read a draft of it as it is on webook.com under my name dawn goddard and u already know the title is crimson

Susanne,

Wally Lamb is from my area. All of his books are based in this area. Did you read She`s come undone? That mental hospital was THE state hospital until the late 1980s when the governor closed it.

I hated visiting that place.

He also helped with a book that is a collaboration of local female inmates at the prison close by here. That is a good read also.

This is the first one of his books that I've picked up to read, but I'm liking his writing style and will probably read the others. I hadn't known that he is from your neck of the woods. Isn't it a small world. Thanks for sharing that story, I'll think of you as I read this story.

I'm enjoying this thread.

I've noticed that not only do most of us have a real interest (okay obsession) with miniatures, but also animals, books, and music.

-Susanne

I'm reading from my brand new Sony Digital Reader. Yipee! Well, not yet, I'm still charging it and uploading all of the software. I'm reading Emma by Jane Austen in real book form so I might download it to my Reader and read it from there.

if u want u can read a draft of it as it is on webook.com under my name dawn goddard and u already know the title is crimson

Dawn, I went to the website but a search for "crimson" and your name didn't turn it up. Can you give a url?

Reading pooks cuts into my mini time...can't have that. I do love to read though.

I keep a book in the necessary. It's amazing how many pages you can read in a week's time, even in short paragraph bursts. :lol:

I keep a book in the necessary. It's amazing how many pages you can read in a week's time, even in short paragraph bursts. :lol:

We call the necessary the reading room. :) . Everyonce in a while you will be in there reading away and someone starts banging on the door. Oh how rude.

Heidi - We LOVE Odd Thomas in our house. My other half only strays from Stuart Woods for Odd Thomas. :p

Meleah - Thank you for the heads up about Breaking Dawn. I don't worry to much about the 16 year old reading something more grown up, but she has been reading the series out loud to the 8 year old and we will be discussing the appropriateness of that before they get to Breaking Dawn. Unfortunately, I often have to remind her that what is appropriate for her is not always the case for her younger brothers and sister. She is a brilliant child but lacking common sense alot of the time.

You know what I need to re-read before the movie comes out this May is Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. That was a fantastic book. We all thought that that book was WAY better than the DaVinci Code.

I love history, one of the books I need to pickup soon is Team of Rivals about Lincoln's cabinet. I am really looking forward to reading that one.

I forget who said they were reading a Charlaine Harris vampire book. My daughter took my whole collection back to Philly with her at Christmas.

I just started Born to Rule by Julia P. Gelardi. It's about 5 of Queen Victoria's grandaughters who became the queens of Russia, Greece, Norway, Romania, and Spain. I'm only on chapter 4 and I can see I'm going to have to make a geneology chart to keep the cast of characters straight.

I found an excerpt from a letter Victoria wrote to her daughter Vicky in 1860 that I found very revealing.

"All marriage is such a lottery--the happiness is always an exchange--though it may be a very happy one---still the poor woman is bodily and morally the husband's slave. That always sticks in my throat. When I think of a merry, happy, free young girl---and look at the ailing, aching state a young wife generally is doomed to---which you can't deny is the penalty of marriage."

I read a lot, generally. I haven't been lately, though. Too busy with the house and when I have spare time, I work on the dh. However, I read murder mysteries by the bag load. Anytime we go to a garage or estate sale I go through all their books since I read so quickly that spending 8-12 dollars on a paperback is an expensve evening! But I read Kellerman, Grisham, most of the newer mystery writers. I'm carefully planning the perfect murder.... B)

Right now I'm in the middle of school, so boring textbooks are my reading materials lately...blah.

I do have a few fun things though, I'm reading my DH's screenplay and outline for two separate films and I just finished reading a friend's first draft of a novel. I've got to read his short film script as well.

I'm looking forward to graduating - more reading time!!! B) I'm going to be reading the Redwall Series, for sure, and then I'm going to look up some fun reading in the childrens' section, which is my favorite. :)

I love fairytale-retellings by Cameron Dokey (Golden & Beauty Sleep are my favorites of hers).

I really like to read mysteries, historical fiction/non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, childrens' lit., poetry, and anything about art, ballet, dollhouses (of course), dogs, horses, and D&D. :)

:p And the victim will be ... ?? <snaps awake> ... OH, you mean a fictional murder!! :)

B) :o , :) ahhh, :p well it must be one in mini afcourse!!!

Hugs

ive wrote a murder mystery and im still working on the ending ive had interviews with the police so i cud get things just right. i was walking thru the mall with a friend and i was telling her how i planned to kill the next character and a woman heard bits behind us and i got such a disgusted look of shock from her it was so funny i dont think she believed me when explained its a book im writing tho. poor woman