Pets:

Lynette Smith

I have one dog, 12 year old silky terrier, Sparky. 2 cats, Dom Kitty (3 years old) and Missy (2 years old). Our next door neighbor has a stray that she has been taking care of because it is pregnant so I am going to sneak a new kitty in the house when they get old enough. Once I put it in my fiance's lap, I win. He has an extreme soft spot for cats.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two furbabies. A black Chow named Dakota. She goes with me everywhere. Some people need their dogs to feel safe...my dog needs her mom. She goes to work with me and is spoiled rotten by all my staff. She is the strangest dog I've ever had. She won't eat anything but dog food, dog treats, and protein...cheese or meat. No junk food for that kid. Won't even eat pop corn. One of my staff tried to feed a piece of imitagion cheese to her...she took it wallered it around in her month and then spit it out and look at my staff like...what do you think I am a dog or something? She doesn't like to be touched and doesn't like to be more than 10 feet away from me inside. She's also quite well known for her snoring during our staff meetings.

Nannuk is an American Eskimo. I call her my love bug because she bugs me for love all the time. She stays home and guards the apartment...well so I thought until my landlord had to go inside my apartment and didn't even know she was there :p If I leave Dakota at home Nannuk beavers through my furniture. So on the rare occasions Dakota can't go with me I have to crate Nannuk. If I take Dakota, Nannuk is fine uncrated at home. Go figure. Nannuk goes to work with me every once in a while...she even had a litter of pups there.

I love them both dearly and will probably always have a dog in my life.

I have two turtles - Red Eared Sliders. Herman was given to me as a hatchling from a friend who couldn't keep him anymore and I've had him maybe 7-8 years now and he's about 7-1/2 to 8 inches long. Cecil I adopted (since they can't legally be bought or sold where I live) from a pet store soon after and he's about 6-1/2 to 7 inches long. Herman actually turned out to be a female, but he/she was named before I started finding eggs in the tank! RES will lay 10 - 15 eggs per clutch!

I don't have that many any more.

4 dogs

1 cat (and another coming)

10 guinea pigs

8 parrots

20 cockatiels

50 parakeets

dozen canaries and finches

7 water turtles

3 box turtles

2 50 pound tortoises

3 stingrays

80 huge koi

6 ponds

4 really big aquariums with several hundred tropical fish

13 dwarf hamsters

some goldfish

OH! And a partridge in a pear tree (actually it's a quail)

To quote Peanut: Huh?

We've got two spayed female cats that we've had since they were each only six weeks old:

Missymew - plump, red-brown tabby cat, age 10 1/2.

Trinity - black with white markings, age 9 1/2

Trinity, in particular, will not allow any other pets in the house. Ever since my neutered tomcat, Dudley, died in 2006, Trinity has remained adamant. I've tried to introduce another cat a few times, and followed all the introducing and re-introducing steps. Trinity won't budge an inch. I've even tried meds. My hubby is thrilled with Trinity as he thinks two cats is enough. Trinity and I, on the other hand, have agreed to disagree.

-Susanne

Currently no pets - just raising the three grandkids now.

In the past - always and most definitely a dog family!!! Our dogs have never been pets - they were always other children, just not born from me. We like bigger, longer haired, "no brand" dogs - like the size of a golden retriever. Not so much into labs though - they chew too much.

Growing up - back in the dark ages - Always had a dog even then although they were smaller ones !!! I did have two cats, one blue parakeet and some tropical fish - all for short periods of time.

Another dog person here-- bully dogs! (Shelter pitties...) There they are in my avatar, waiting for the evil Fedex man or the nefarious UPS guy (or the insidious USPS carrier) to show... House isn't that small, but they are more than a bit roly-poly and seem to like to be directly in front of wherever I am going, in case I accidentally drop something edible...

I'm allergic to dogs and cats, not to mention I don't have time for high maintenance pets like that. When I was in college my roommate and I had 2 Burmese pythons and a Colombian boa. The largest, Lucile, was 16 ft. long. Until a few years ago I had 2 giant emperor scorpions. They both died before I met my wife, and she won't let me get any more. :wave:

I notice multiple references to pets and photos. I was wondering how many have pets and what kind. I think I notice a trend toward cats.

I went and read all the posts. It seems if you don't include everyone with cats AND dogs - that dog owners outnumber cat owners almost 3 to 1. So I guess we tend to mention cats more, but own more dogs. Probably because cats get into the dollhouse stuff more.

My husband and I have have two 7ft red tailed boas called Scarlett and Oscar. We also have 3 hens in the garden called Ivy, Marge and Pearl. I know hens are not traditionally thought of as pets but that is definately what my 3 girls are.

6 cats at the moment:

Mammy (Ocicat)

Alexandra (tortie point Siamese)

Maisie (torby stray...tortoise shell with tabby stripes)

Lily (grey tabby)

Bill (white and yellow shorthair...stray, probably 14 years old...only four teeth left...sweetie!)

Mo (big bad yellow stray...needs a barn with a cow to chase...we don't have one, so he's frustrated with us)

Ollie (white poodle/bichon, 14 years old, former puppy mill producer someone left at the local aspca...sweetie+++..usually found in the middle of the cat-herd)

Kermit (green parakeet...kept in a cat-free environment)

Sushi (bottom dwelling salt water fish...about 8" long eel-like, I forget what actual type...probably 6 or 7 years old)

DH and I have always been dog people (although he had cats with his first wife). Right now we have Sophie, a "Scruffshire Terrier," which is my term for scruffy-faced, wire-haired terrier mix of uncertain origin. She's 13 and was my dog before I met DH. And then we have 4-yr-old Rufus, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi whose missions in life are to protect the homestead and be cute.

Where we live we are allowed to have only one pet. So.. I have one 17 year old Maine Coon called, Jenny-fur. I have one year old Scottish Fold called Fransican Mary Magdeline. We call her Maggie. My sister has one two year old Scottish Fold called Fransican Rebecca, we call her Becca, and one two year old Scottish Fold called Fransican Jacob, and we call him a lot of choice names. Becca and Jake are from the same litter. Maggie is a "cousin" same dad, different mother. Jenny is still doing fairly well, but mostly eats, sleeps, and watches the young ones make fools of themselves. All four are so much fun.

We have Maddie ( the dollhouse inspector ) she is a golden Retriver chow mix.!! and the princess of the house... she is 5 years old....

We also have Ruger, yes he is a pistol.!! Ruger is a Quaker Parrot.! Ruger is 8 years old.

Goldie is our big goldfish. !!

Kellee

I thought you might find this funny. We went to the beach this past Thanksgiving and stayed at my inlaw's condo. We planned on taking our 2 little dogs, but the day before we left, we found out that our female shepherd (Sugar) had 2 horribly infected ears, and we had to take her with us. Our neighbor was watching our male shepherd (Mel), and we couldn't ask him to clean Sugar's ears, put drops in her ears, etc. 3 times a day. (Our shepherds had never been separated before.)

Well let me tell you, we will never do that again! Sugar sleeps in our bathroom at home every night, so we figured we would put her in the bathroom when we went out anywhere. We went out shopping for 2 hours, and when we came back, we saw bits of wood in front of the bathroom door (not a good sign). When we opened the door, she had eaten through the door frame all the way up to my waste. She had also torn all of the towels down. Now this is Thanksgiving, so we were in a panic because we had to get this fixed before we left. We called everywhere and could not find anyone who could do it before we left. We happened to see someone in the condo parking lot with a truck that looked like he did construction. He happened to be an owner that sometimes does repair work for the condo. He came up and fixed it in 30 minutes for $40!

This was the beginning of our vacation, so we had to figure out what to do with Sugar when we went out. My husband went out to Walmart (the only place open on Thanksgiving) and bought a huge $90 dog crate. We went out to dinner that night, and when we got back, she met us at the door. She had eaten the front gate off of the crate. We ended up spending the entire vacation in the condo, and we ended up throwing the dog crate away.

That's not the end of it. When we got home, I went into the den and saw our area rug sitting halfway inside our french door and halfway out. Mel had pulled back the bottom of the door (which is metal) and made a big hole in the corner. He proceeded to pull the area rug through the door until he couldn't move it any further. Now this dog is 13 years old and so arthritic that we have to give him medication everyday. We had to replace the doors at the low low price of $1,300!!

The moral of the story -- don't separate shepherds!!!

I wish I could do more for my boxer rescue group right now. We are drowning in dogs. We have received requests to take in 18 in just the last two days alone and a waiting list of even more! There are currently 34 available on our website. If ever any of you had thoughts of helping out in your area and have room, please give thought to adding to your manageries. Contact your local rescues and foster or adopt a fur kid.

I have four chihuahuas. There's Rebel ( who believes he's going to be a great dane one day). Then there's Dixie (she loves to wear clothes and bling bling and thinks she's the queen). Then there's Mason(we call him moose) he loves to chase a racket ball named wilson. And last but not least there's Tater ( his name is actually Max, but he doesn't answer to it.) He's the baby. We also have a rabbit, his name is Frankie and he loves cilantro. :jumping: