Close call

pdlnpeabody

My wife almost went into labor with our son- 10 1/2 weeks too soon. She started to have contractions during her shift Sunday night. Labor & Delivery is only 4 floors below the unit she works on, so she finished her shift before checking in at 7 a.m. Last night she began dilating despite all of the efforts to stop labor. They even sent a doc from the neo-natal ICU to tell us what to expect. My wife was born 4 months premature and weighed just barely a pound at birth, but survived and went on the college and earned her BSN. But she did suffer some setbacks. She has minimal hearing without her hearing aids and is very short

(4' 7"). The problem is that on average, boys don't recover premature births as well as girls.

Fortunately they were able to stop the contractions late last night, and discharged her this afternoon. The only problem is that she is having them again. She doesn't think she will need to return yet. Since we live less that 5 miles from the hospital we can wait and see what happens. We just hope he waits at least 4 or 5 more weeks. He will be early, but his lungs and digestive system will be much better able to cope with the outside world. Our daughter is only 10 months old and we want them to be happy and healthy together.

post-587-1236720745_thumb.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be thinking nice thoughts for your family. Premature is very painful, not knowing how healthy the baby is going to end up being. Your wife is proof that even the tiniest baby can be OK, so I wouldn't worry too much.

And you little girl will be a great sister, somehow they just know when their sibling needs their help.

Oh my goodness. I hope everything turns out all right. My daughter was 6 weeks premature and I have worried about her since birth. She was 4 lbs and now she is almost three years old and is almost the same size in height and weight to her older sister.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this scary time. Hopefully your son stays put for another little while.

When my nephew was born 6 years ago last November he was 12 weeks premature, weighing 2lbs 1/2 ounce (Prior to this year they told me he was 1 pound 1 1/2 ounce. I don't know which is correct for certain, but I remember at the time weighing two bananas, which equalled what they told me was his birthweight at the time). My SIL started dilating a month before and was put on bed rest after an initial hospital stay. She managed to hang on three more weeks before they put her back in the hospital. My nephew was trying to kick his way out!

They gave her medication to help the baby's lungs develop faster (hope they're doing that with your dear wife!), trying to hold off birth for 24 hours to let it take effect. She was begging for food the rest of the week because the doctors didn't want here to have anything she might choke on if they performed emergency surgery. She managed to hold out for nearly a week, but they were concerned that his foot being at the entrance to the birth canal, that his kicking might cause the water to break and him to come gushing out,sustaining birth injuries.

He had to have heart surgery to close up a valve which doesn't close til latter in gestation. This happens for more more than half of preemies. After that he began to thrive.

Now he's in kindergarten and loves to read. He has no long term effects!

We'll pray for your wife. Just know that they do wonders these days with preemies!

Jeremy, if you aren't at the hospital, and she's still having contractions, you need to go back now. Or at least call the doctor and do whatever he/she says.

My thoughts and prayers are with DW and baby and you and big sister-to-be. Keep us posted!

Terri

Hmm, hope the little fella' has decided to stay for a little while longer and that your wife is resting the best possible and trying to "persuade" him to wait a little...

Sending positive thoughts your way!!!!

HUGS

Last night I started recording the contractions. They were peaking 15 times an hour, so I took her back to the hospital. They monitored her for 4 hours (until 1 a.m.) and sent her home. She hadn't changed since she had been discharged (except for the return of the contractions) and wouldn't give her a prescription for the medication they had given her to stop them. They expected the contractions to stop on their own within a short time, but they haven't. One other problem - of all the white coats that saw her over the past two days only one was an actual doctor. The rest were UF med students. They aren't pleased that I told them they will use someone else as a ginea pig from now on. We are being billed for a real doctor's care and we will accept nothing less.

She's so upset with the hospital for doing nothing for her over the past two days that she refuses to return until her water breaks. I agree with her to a point, but she's in so much pain and I can't do anything to stop it.

Although I totally understand that she is upset with the hospital and the med students, I think that I would still go back and demand to see an ob/gyn doctor who specializes in high-risk situations.

Those contractions need to stop, whether she is dilating or not. All that they are doing right now is being stressful to both of you and to the baby!

You're right about the stress. She's so uncomfortable that she wants to deliver him now. She has never put her own comfort before the well being of our daughter, so I know it must be unbareable for her. The attending doctor claims to specialize in high-risk pregnancies, but she won't do anything for my wife except put a monitor on her and order an exam every hour. She's still bleeding slightly from the exams that they did yesterday.

She is finally sleeping, but I can't get our daughter to go to sleep, so I'm still up. I was able to bring a laptop home from work so I can work from here tomorrow and give her some time to rest.

Thanks everyone for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.