Close call

pdlnpeabody

I often think our society has become one much to quick to sue over all kinds of situations, but this is one instance where the hospital has caused you and yours to be at risk and I would look into it. I agree, they at least better cover your medical expenses. I most definitely would see your patient ombudsman if they are enlightened enough to have one.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another update. They removed the ventilator this morning and he is doing well under the circumstances. I will be contacting the hospital's general counsel on Monday morning. Going to court should be a last resort and it can take years to settle claim, but we will do so if Shand's isn't willing to work with us.

One interesting note. The doctor who delivered Jaden, a nursing supervisor and the Patient Care Coordinator for the entire hospital came to us at different times yesterday concerned and apologetic over the entire event. The problem (and I pointed it out to all of them) is that they didn't do anything wrong! They registered, assessed and delivered our son without a single error. The hospital that doesn't assist patients into the building hasn't contacted us yet! Their doctor who assisted with the delivery knows and has contacted their security department and several administrators. The attending in the NICU knew about it and the director of their L&D knows about it, but nobody has called us. Also, Jaden isn't out of the woods yet. He can still develop complications from dozens of under developed physiological systems. When he reaches several milestones, whe will breath a sigh of relief, but not until then.

Thanks again to everyone!

Congratulations on your new little boy! He's precious! Seeing that adult hand in the picture near him makes him seem tiny!

What a dreadful experience for you and your wife (thank goodness he wasn't your first child!). I hope the hospital owns up to their errors and apologizes. AND agrees to help you out with the medical costs.

Your family has been on my mind ever since you posted about the difficult pregnancy. It really brought back a lot of memories. I visited my nephew in NICU frequently. Jaden looks plump! My nephew was so scrawny, the first picture of him I saw was on my brother's digital camera; all I could make out was a reddish blur, which I took to be a backpack and was chagrined to discover was my nephew!

It may sound silly, but save one of the preemie diapers for his scarpbook. Jaden is probably swimming in it now, but it seems so impossibly small, looking at it years later. The one I saved won't even fit my first baby doll! I have it tucked away, and pull it now and again and wonder and give thanks that modern medicine made our miracle boy possible.

Hey Jeremy, how's your wife doing? She must be exhausted, what with the pain of the early contractions, then the dramatic delivery saga and the emotional rollercoaster of having a precious new son fighting for his life. Please give her our best!

I'm soooo happy for your little family! He's a real cutie!

I've also had a terrible time with Shands, but it was in Jacksonville, after I'd had a really bad car accident. It's a great trauma hospital, but recovery after surgery would be better if you could go somewhere else.... I can't believe I made it out of the hospital okay..........

Good Luck with the little one and getting it straightened out with Shand's!

Jenny

Little Jaden is doing as well as can be expected. We hope his digestive system will be able to handle the formula and milk my wife is finally producing, but it may be a problem. He wiggles a lot, so we know he has some energy to spare. Soheila is doing as good as can be expected. She hates that he isn't home with us and is worried about what could happen while we're gone. Physically, she is doing great. She had the baby early Thursday morning and insisted on riding home from the hospital on the motorcycle with me barely 28 hours later. She also hasn't complained about any discomfort from the delivery. She is one of the toughest ladies I know.

Hope that you have someone else to watch your other little munchkin so that your wife can stay at the hospital as much as she can. It may be confusing to your daughter right now, but Jaden needs her voice and, especially, her touch more right now for him to grow quickly. Still keeping you in my thoughts that everything keeps going in the right direction.

I'm away from home and just catching up ... brickbats to Holly for not clueing me in!

But many hugs and congratulations to you for keeping a cool head in a difficult situation, your wife for doing a heroic job --what a lady!-- and blessings to you both and little Jaden. I hope it's not too long before he's home, where he belongs!

Jaden was transferred from the NICU III to NICU II (III is for the most critical newborns). He's eating more but only through a feeding tube. He looks a lot like his mom. Unfortunately our daughter doesn't sleep anymore. She doesn't fuss, but she will only nap for 4 or 5 minutes two or three times a day and stays awake all day and night. I'm starting to think Gerber is putting caffeine in their baby food.

So happy for you that Jaden has made the move towards getting ready for the world! And so sorry to hear about your daughter not sleeping - unfortunately, she is too young to understand what is going on. Hang in there, and thanks for the updates!

Jaden is prescious! Glad to hear they're stepping him down. Sounds like his sister is headed towards a major crash when all her lack of sleep catches up with her. Sounds like she needs reassurance that she's going to be OK and Jaden is going to be OK.

Jaden is improving and weighs 4 pounds. My wife, Soheila, has been able to spend more time with him this weekend now that I can watch our 10 month old. I think not having him home upsets her the most. The company I work for has also put a freeze on all overtime, so I can get home earlier to see him. I like the added income, but my promotion makes the OT less necessary than it was before, and I haven't worked less than 50 hours in a week for nearly a year. He still doesn't cry very much, but he looks around and moves a lot.

post-587-1237768962_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful baby! Sorry about the stressful time but oh how our little ones are worth it. Your poor little girl probably is so confused at the moment. They are aware of so much more than we think sometimes but how do you explain it to a toddler? She needs lots of hugs and kisses :p

Thanks for sharing the pictures they are just so adorable! :thumb:

Your little girl is only 10 months old? Poor Sohelia! When Jaden comes home that's going to be SO many diapers! but what fun to have another baby to keep you both up. He's going to be another cutie-pie. Thanks for the pictures.

Jeremy,

Have they given you an idea when Jaden can come home? I know from hearing Fred (he works in local NICU) that once the baby can suck on the bottle and they take the feeding tube out, it is usually very close to homecoming.

He is gorgeous!

Jeremy,

Have they given you an idea when Jaden can come home? I know from hearing Fred (he works in local NICU) that once the baby can suck on the bottle and they take the feeding tube out, it is usually very close to homecoming.

He is gorgeous!

There is also often a required weight of 5 lbs.

He looks like he is doing wonderful!

They moved his feeding tube from his mouth to his nose, so that hasn't really changed. After loosing 13 oz after birth, he regained all of it and then some. This morning he weighed in at 4 lb. 1 oz. The doctors have told us that he will be there until his due date (May 21) but they also said he had an inter-cranial bleed last week, then said he hasn't had one at all. This is standard treatment when you have a dozen interns, residents and med students who don't know what they're doing.