vertigo vertigo where for art thou vertigo

nuttiwebgal

I woke up Friday morning with lots of things to do...PAY DAY for meeee

but as the morning went on I knew something interesting was going on with my hearing

I am the girl who gets swimmers ear in the summer and sinus ear infections during other times of the yr...all of which brings on bouts with vertigo

along with my center of gravity issues this can lead to some very interesting occurances

so friday instead of loosing my hearing...everything was being amplified...even the timbre of my own voice was creating some vertigo. but I was dealing..it happens...

sat I go to work...Im still dealing but feeling nausea now and again so I told the supervisor if he was going to let anyone go because it was slow I volunteered because I was having vertigo and felling like crapola...he or the lead had NO idea what I was talking about...so I told them vertigo..inner ear infection...falling into things upset tummy...I could still work and wanted to but yanno if I could go home early I wanted to.....that was at 4pm...2 hours after arriving at work....

at 6:30 I was tossing my koosh ball around to my bay mates and it went to the floor...I leaned down...picked it up sat up and almost passed out than than started violently dry heaving...TG I hadnt had anything to drink as it was almost mealtime and dont drink 45 mins before eating(WLS rules) so it was all dry heaves....I was sweating profusley and I couldnt open my eyes becuase it just made the vomiting worse.

I told them call my husband...they did...its a 45 min drive from my house to work...I KNEW I could not leave the building under my own steam about 20 mins into the wait for the hubster...so I told them to call an ambulance....2 shots of anti throwup stuff and a big shot of valium and 4 hours later they admitted me for observations to the hospital....telling my DH that I may have had a stroke..>WHAT!!! as I am still unable to talk or open my eyes for fear of retching it was hard to tell the dr he was full of you know what!

I was scedualed for am MRI the next day but it was cancelled after no more violent episodes.

I stayed in hospital all of sunday and am home now with meds for inner ear inflamation and Meclizine for the vertigo....not able to drive until Sat and not able to work until than either.

today I feel well enough to post but am headed back to my chair for another nap...Im sooo tired and still very shaky...it doesnt seem like the vertigo meds are doing much more than keeping the worse of the symptoms at bay. but than I havent woken in the middle of the night grabbing my pillow to keep me on the bed either the last couple of nights...so maybe I am on my road to recovery....

I hope Kathy's trip to Holly was wonderful!

my diagnosis was accute Labryinthitis

the episode I had was violent and scary...not very (A)cute...HAHAHAHA :p

nutti :lol:

Vertigo is the pits kid, take care of yourself.

I've had it a few times, never knew what caused it, it just sort of came and went. The bad, scary one was when I was doing dishes and suddenly I felt like I was on a heaving ship, the floor was moving, I grabbed hold of the counter and slid down to the floor where I just sat for a while, leaning against the cabinets, feeling the floor rocking below me. My kids stood there wondering what was up. I said, "I'll be ok, I just have to sit here on the floor for a while". :lol:

I have been dealing with Vertigo this winter also, I will have a few good days then boom its back again. I thought I had an ear infection but the dr said it's a virus that attacks the inner ear meaning I can do nothing to make it go away. Taking dramaine helps some but I have to break the chewable kind into 4 and take a 4th of one and it still makes me drowsy. But that is better than throwing up.

I got attacks of vertigo when my sinus infections ran rampant just before turning into pneumonia as the bacteria hit my lungs, and something that helped with the nausea was while rocking in the bed I would plant one foot on the floor. Back in college it was how one dealt with an excessively nasty hangover (don't ask!), and not surprising it helped with some of the vertigo.

So did the doctor give you good antibiotics to kill off the infection?

Get THEE to an Ear Nose and Throat Dr. if the symptoms do not go away or they come back. I suffer from Meneire`s Disease and it has the exact same symptoms. NOT saying you have it, but it will be good to know either way. Even if you do, the valium and meclizine are what you have to take for it anyway.

Try laying on your side in a quiet room. First try your right side and then your left side. You may have build up (not wax) in one of your ears. If you feel good on your left side, it is your right ear that is effected. Seriously, treat it like a migraine. Lay in bed on your side and you will stop feeling like you won a quarters game at a keg party!

I seem to go through life with sinus problems, and the vertigo, not being able to hear because of fluid buildup, is part of it. I just have slight vertigo, and feel like there are ocean waves in my brain when I tilt my head! Sounds like what you have is much, much worse! Hope you're soon back to normal-except for the mini-addiction of course. :lol:

Wow I feel for you. Acute attacks are not fun I know. Had a diving accident years ago, on ascent of all things. They practically had to haul me out of the water, then I just collapsed once on deck of the boat, don't even remember how long, then hubby had to help me up toward the bow of boat - no way was I going into our cabin - and I spent the next few hours there hanging over the side. Add the movement of the boat to the vertigo and you get the picture I'm sure, just uncontrollable. The best of it was we were in the middle of nowhere on a live-aboard boat on a multiday trip and this was only the morning of our second day. Since I knew what had likely happened given the severe ear pain coming up - I had to surface, getting a little low on air plus since we were making multiple dives day before and this was our second of the day was getting too close to going into decompression time (in order to avoid getting bends). We did make a stop on a tiny little island (no doctors) that afternoon and I sure was glad to get onto dry land, although had to have help, couldn't walk under my own power, I'd fall down. Basically spent the the rest of that evening and next day in our cabin flat on my back, told hubby to go ahead and make his dives though he wasn't too sure about leaving me at first. Then at least I was able to get up with help and go out on deck. When we got back a few days later, had about a 2 hour drive to get home so I told hubby we'd just go home and go to ER, spent the car trip with the seat laid all the way back. Get to ER, doc sees me, thinks at first I've ruptured the eardrum, though fortunately it ended up that I hadn't, just had a big hemorrhage spot. Gave me Antivert and something else, I don't remember, but I couldn't drive for weeks even with the medicine because of the vertigo, and I got little mini-attacks for months afterwards just out of blue. We still went diving after that and for years I'd often get vertigo on ascent, so always made sure I had lots of air left and we'd go up along the anchor line so I'd have something to hold onto and could shut my eyes if it happened and give the ear time to equalize pressure. The ENT doctor I went to said he'd never heard of anybody having this problem on ascent, that it was usually descent with people going down too fast. Told hubby it figures, I just have to be different and stand out. My diagnosis was acute reverse barotrauma.

Hope you feel better and don't push yourself and just be aware that you might have little attacks out of the blue now and again for a while though hopefully you won't since yours was due to infection/inflammation and the medicines should take care of it.

Karen

Oh Lynette you poor dear. Just take it easy until you feel like yourself again. I have always had ear problems, was even deaf when I was three, but never suffered from vertigo. It sounds awful. Sending you steady {{hugs}} hoping you feel better.

What happens with most vertigo is you have a build up of fluid pressure in the ear..the labry-thingy ( I looks like a sea shell in your ear). The pressure gets so great that it bursts to relieve that pressure. That is why you get dizzy, you get stronger ringing in your ears, noises sound louder (and it makes you feel worse), nausea, and you can have a drop syndrome..when you just hit the floor. I have not had the hit the floor THANK GOODNESS!

If they find it is an ongoing problem you can do some things at home. First you need to lower your sodium intake. Sodium ratchets up the fluid build up faster in your canal. They can also prescribe you diuretics (water pills) to help with the fluid build up.

They would only prescribe you the pills if this is going to be a chronic issue. Try to lower your sodium for the next few days and you may see a HUGE difference. That is why I do not enjoy the things I used to indulge in any more or only on rare occasions. Like sliced meat, chinese food (bad bad culprit), and all things salty.

The meclizine and valium combo will knock you on you butt. You will be on the couch or bed for the rest of the day with that. Makes your stomach feel better but you wont be doing much else.

So sorry you are having this Nutti!

I had vertigo just once, but it was enough. I was sitting up in bed and it felt like I was being flung up against the wall. I literally couldn't pull my head away from the wall. Scary stuff!

Hope yours goes away soon!

yesterday I took a morning vertigo pill and did not take another...I was only given 20 and he said to wean myself down over the next few days...only take them when I was dizzy(he does not know me) :hippi: LOL

so yesterday was good...I went with DH in the car to cut wood and play with the grankids outside

had a few moments of loosing my balance but we all know I have learned to take that as it comes

and we were outside...it was chilly but we had fun while daddy and momma carried wood papaw cut

this will probably be our last stove cutting this yr...time to start the stacks for next yr.

so after all that Im feeling the worst is behind me...today I had to take another one...thinking if I need one tomorrow only take half...he only wants we to take 3 a day at the most.

still taking the antiviral meds he gave me for the inner ear thing.

now I have to drive today and return to work on sat....Im so embarrassed about going back

leaving like I did...how does one make an unnoticeable entrance after such an exit??

BUT I am SSOOOO ready to get back at it... I am really enjoying the job and feeling more confident about it every day.

I thank each of you for the kind words and wisdom you have shared during this yet another day in the life of a nutti gal! :w00t:

nutti :wave:

Another hurdle overcome - you go, Nutti! And as Heidi says, people at work will be happy to see you back, and feeling better. :hippi:

I had labyrinthitis when I was in my late teens/early twenties. I remember how weird it felt. The blue pills the doctor prescribed (don't remember the name of the drug) gave me an allergic reaction. I would immediately (upon taking a pill) go all tingly-itchy and a rash would break out all over me, but it would disappear just as abruptly about 10 or 15 minutes later. The doctor wasn't worried about it, and didn't change the prescription. (That doctor was not a good one!) Thank goodness I didn't have to take the prescription for too long.

I get dizzy reeaally easily now - but I don't take anything for it. As you do, I just get on with it. :wave:

I wanted to say (cause I just remembered) that they did a MRI of your head to check for a brain tumor. There is a particular benign tumor that you can have near on the side of your brain by your ears that can also cause this. It puts pressure on the area and messes with your balance. I was a bundle of nerves until the results came back from the Dr. If they find out that you have that tumor, they have to remove it but you do not have to go thru chemo or radiation. I forgot what it was called.

I am glad you are feeling better. Please, if it comes back in a week or a month, go to the ENT Dr.

The bad, scary one was when I was doing dishes and suddenly I felt like I was on a heaving ship, the floor was moving, I grabbed hold of the counter and slid down to the floor where I just sat for a while, leaning against the cabinets, feeling the floor rocking below me. My kids stood there wondering what was up. I said, "I'll be ok, I just have to sit here on the floor for a while".

This sounds like what happens to me sometimes, but my ears are not affected. My head feels like it wants to kiss the floor so I must lay down on it no matter where I am (kids' school, er when I was pregnant with DS#1, front entrance of the house, at my desk when I was still working, etc.). Also, if it's a migrain, I see bright colours (aura) as my vision closes in on me to pitch black and I have to make it to the nearest washroom quickly, all the while just wanting to lay on the floor.