Greenleaf's Third Annual Spring Fling Contest

:lol: i finally pressed send and my entry is in!!! :lol:

i think that was the hardest part of the whole fling experience :p

the build up to the release...ordering...receiving...dryfitting....bashing....painting...decorating.

...photographing...all easy compared to 'press send' :p

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am SO OVER mine. I just can't get the exterior right - just not working for me and as a result I am losing interest quickly. Oh well, not too much left to do, and I will just do a basic exterior. Then one day, when I have another brilliant idea I might have a shot at fixing it up. I just haven't had enough time.

Hope everyone else is happier with theirs than I am with mine.

I believed in foamboard for my staging because it had seemed 'hyped-up' to me by various members ... now I don't think I'll use it again in such a way.

I tried the foamcore this time too, thinking it wasn't large enough to require a plywood base. I was wrong, it's warping. In the future I'm definitely sticking with what I used for the putt-putt course - a plywood base with a foam puzzle exercise mat cut to size. It was AWESOME - all the glues worked with it, I could 'dig' into it for planting flowers, easily cut into it for a stream and pond, and cut out the house dimensions so it sits snuggly into it like a foundation. I highly recommend it - it's certainly not as cheap as foamcore, but I found a reasonably priced one in the exercise section of WalMart

I'm liking how my exterior is turning out, I'm consequently putting off the interior. :lol:

The trick to foamcore (I use itor interior dividing walls when bashing) is to treat BOTH sides; When one side has had whatever glued to it I turn it over onto a sheet of waxed paper and paint or otherwise do treatment to the other side. If you're going to landscape onto it, prime or seal both sides. Even better would be to go with bufoam/ builder's foam, that doesn't have a paper covoering on both sides to warp & change shape on you.

Both fabulous ideas! Love the foamcore "treatment" solution: would work great for small projects like the 'Fling, gazebos, etc. I don't know why I didn't even think to treat the foamcore - maybe because it was 'shiny.' I always treat both sides of a kit I'm building. Hmm. But the plywood base with foam mat sounds like just the ticket for my Pierce x2 bash ... it's going to be huge! and well worth the extra cost!

I didn't have any trouble with my foamcore piece this time only because I built everything for the Fling in separate stages, and as separate pieces pretty much. The landscaping pretty much all slides away when I want to take it apart, and the ____ slides away in one piece as well :lol: . The main structure of course is one piece :lol: , I just "pinned" it all in place for my photo sessions. I wanted to be able to dismantle the larger portions simply for my "no room at the inn" issue here :p And its cool, I can always use it elsewhere down the road...one never knows when one might need a ______ tucked in the landscaping..or a full scale ____ :p

So, did we ever get it figured out if we have until May 25th 11:59 PM or "by" May 25 meaning May 24th 11:59 PM ???

A day could make all the difference in the world for me cuz I have babysitters available on the weekend and the Monday holiday.

So, did we ever get it figured out if we have until May 25th 11:59 PM or "by" May 25 meaning May 24th 11:59 PM ???

A day could make all the difference in the world for me cuz I have babysitters available on the weekend and the Monday holiday.

I'm fairly confident you have until midnight on the 25th to get your photos in. But don't make the mistake of waiting until 11:45 to snap pictures! It's hard because I'm such a procrastinator, but I'm going to reeaaally try to have it done by Sunday the 24th so I can allot two days for photos (if Sunday ends up being overcast) - I really want to have the pics outdoors at this great spot I have in mind...

After seeing past submissions I definitely prefer the outdoor pictures - so much more detail just pops out with the help of the sun.

Now pardon me, as I have more research and mini-ing to finish in time....

One Week Left!!!

:p .... :hide: .... :) .... :p .... :p .... :eek: .... :cheer: .... :p .... :yikes:

My poor spring fling is sitting all abandoned on the end of my dining room table. I had such great ideas for it and even bought the supplies, glued it together, and that's it. I lost all inspiration and desire to work on it. The past month has literally been kicking my butt with busyiness - between work, more work, my parent's 50th anniversary party yesterday, the gift I was making for them (a scrapbook) that I didn't finish until the morning of their party, and just "life" I haven't had the time to work on it.

Now there's a week left, I have "some" time but all the deisre left me - it brings tears to my eyes.

On the upside, I am looking forward to everyone's entries and rooting for the winners!

I have had so much trouble with this house, its a wonder I have not hurled it at the wall. I decorated it before assembly and then found that the pieces would not fit, :p so I have had to pull it all apart and start again! I had a lot of problems fitting the walls etc together, anyone else find that they didn't fit properly or is it just me? :)

At this point I doubt whether everything I had planned for it will actually materialize, I am just hoping I will have an entry to photograph! :cheer:

Since I am supposed to be putting all my energy and time into finding an apartment and packing my stuff, :p its touch and go if I will actually be entering, but we shall see. :p The roof gets done tonight, I have it all ready but I have heard horror stories from you guys on here so I am wondering how much fun I shall have with it........let you know tomorrow! :p

I've been reading all the posts - and I'm sorry that there are members who may not complete their Fling. I'm going to push myself to sit and do it ... I think my Dad would want me to finish it. It won't be all that I had envisioned, but I do love this little kit, and I won't abandon it because my mind is elsewhere. You know what? My Fling is so sweet, I think she'll comfort me as I work on her. :) She isn't perfect - due no doubt to my less than perfect building abilities - but she has character, and I love her.

I am reeling at how fast the deadline is approaching! My allergies have been giving me grief and I haven't been as clear headed as I'd like - my internal calendar is off by a few days and it was a shock to realize that next weekend is IT!

I started on the ______ last night. The base and the ___ are made, now I need to cut the sides and ___ to assemble the entire thing. Then I need to put the finishing details on it. I have an appointment with my neighbor's scroll saw to cut the remaining parts and ____ parts out tomorrow. So tonight I have to prep all that. It's easier when you have a pattern....

The ____ pattern I drafted is too small in the ___, so I need to redraft that.

Could someone please slow down the earth's rotation a little for this week? I could use the extra time.

Hey, Lynette did you ever finish the outside of the _____ so it no longer looks like a ___ and now looks like a ________? And did you finish the _______________ and the _______ _______?

So, I didn't get photos done yesterday like I wanted to. The old man over extended himself at our town-wide yard sale event on Sat. & needed a day to rest up !! :)

I guess I'll give it a try today. Okay everyone, stop putting it off. Get those entries in !

Steve in PA

NEWS FLASH: I just got off the phone with Bev at customer service. She checked on the deadline and called back. The Deadline is 11:59 P.M. Monday the 25th (she actually said midnight, but I asked to clarify, was that inclusive of the entirety of the day of the 25th, to which she said yes), so for all of us scrambling - good news! :)

Holly, I worked on prepping the ___ for the short wall in the attic, cut out most of the elements for the _____ (I think it will look stunning!). I cut down the size of the _____ like you suggested and glued the first two pieces together. Later today I have an appointment with my neighbor to use his scroll saw to cut the ___, ___, and ___.

That broken roof support won't go on til the last moment. The roofing is still hiding.

I will also be cutting out the ____ to go on the outside.

I have a list of things needing doing, and while the glue dries on one, I'm working on detailing the next item, or cutting out accessories.

Since the deadline includes the entirety of Memorial day, I will do my photo shoot in an actual ___ ___, where my friend has family buried (they clean out g grandparents mausoleum each memorial day, so I'll steal away and shoot my photos!

Aaaa-Woo-Ga! Aaaa-Woo-Gaaaa!

7 days to finish and submit.

I cannot wait to see all the eye candy!

I did not do all that I wanted to do but I am satisfied with what I did do. It is definitely different.

Now I'm getting nervous!!! My project is done...not photographed. And I keep

thinking of all the things I could've done. But I quess we all could second quess 'till

the cows came home. Okay- I need to ask- what is BASHING. :dunno:

My project looks childish...maybe I could say I was only 6 yrs old.hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha.. :)

.... Okay- I need to ask- what is BASHING. :dunno:

"Bashing" is simply taking a kit, and either adding to it, subtracting from it, or generally changing its original appearance/function. Some people "bash" two kits together, to create a larger building.

I cannot wait to see all the eye candy!

I did not do all that I wanted to do but I am satisfied with what I did do. It is definitely different.

Me too Heidi - the suspense is nearly intolerable :)

Kinda wishing I had not finished mine so early - has just been hurry up, and wait, and wait, and wait....tick, tick, tick <feeling a bit like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, always lookin' at my watch :dunno: >

I'm thankful for the extra week - I sat on it for about a week grumbling because nothing was working or speaking to me. Then this past weekend everything sort of fell into place on the build. Of course, the interior is a barren wasteland because I haven't gotten to that part!! So I'll be furnishing every chance I can get this week into the weekend. I'm SO depressed our Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be rainy and overcast. I may have to get the outside shots taken one evening this week after work to make sure I get some sunny shots!!