How do you make realistic pipes?

Intrinsicat

I'm trying to figure out how to make realistic looking pipes... like the pipe coming up out of a wood stove... or exposed sprinkler piping like you might see in a warehouse. I was thinking bendable plastic straws with a couple thin layers of liquid latex so I can paint them. But if anyone has better (or easier less smelly) ideas, post away! :)

Evergreen makes plastic tubes in all types of sizes large for stove pipe and smaller for the sprinkler type. They are all polystyrene and can be glued together with regular model glue. I find them at my local Hobby stores in the train section. They would be easier to paint then the straws (they hold the paint better without pealing). you can bend them by just heating them a bit with a candle, hold it far enough you just get enough heat to bend the tube.

Most of the pipes that train set enthusiasts use is the Evergreen type I have had some great sucess using it.

UPDATE:

Okay - I picked up the Evergreen plastic piping and some windshield washer tubing at lunch... The windshield tubing was between 50 cents and $1 a foot! Great price indeed! Funny, when I asked if he had it he replied "I really kind of need to see the car" har har, uh, no not really....

The Evergreen for the same amount was about twice the cost, but still reasonable... I'm going to put a wire hanger inside the wiper tubing to shape it... I'm going to use both, looking forward to playing with them! Darn work gets in the way!!! My dad is going stir crazy retired.... I can't WAIT!

You can paint bendable plastic soda straws if you prime them first, Rustoleum makes a flat gray aerosol primer. I actually used the black Rustoleum aerosol paint to paint the straw I used for the stove pipe for my Easter Egg parlor stove in the Orchid General Store.

I've made plumbing pipes & fixtures from polymer clay, painted silvery.

I painted a bendable plastic straw black with plain ol' acrylic craft paint, shiny black, no priming needed. Used a painted button for the wall plate. Here it is drying.

That really does look amazingly realistic.
Oh, you just wait until you see it in person! I did find that the sonic straws liked primer better before they'd hold the paint, but regular bendy straws take paint just fine!

Kathie, that does look so real! It's great! And, they just opened a Sonic near us! :groucho: Holly, it's in between my house and where you and your DH stayed last time. Maybe we need to stop there for drinks when you are up this summer!