Bad, bad Craigslist

sparklepuppies

In the school system I work for, we have web filtering software that blocks non-school related pages. (Unfortunately, it seems the kids gets around it easily, while the adults are blocked. But we're working on that...) I really wish someone would block Craigslist on my home computer.

I've been wanting to build a house for my niece, who turns 6 in June. But she lives in Houston. And I was really hoping to fly my kids out there this summer instead of driving, so I couldn't figure out a good way of getting the house to her. But, I was still looking for a good deal on a house, just in case I came up with a plan. For some reason I got my heart set on a Tennyson for her, either brand, or an Alison. But shipping costs kill any deal you can find on eBay.

Saturday night my MIL told us that she and SIL and the kids were driving out here in June. Yippee! They can take back a dollhouse! DH called his sister (against my wishes, I wanted it to be a surprise) to make sure they'd have room to bring one back. She was super excited, and said she'd pay shipping back home if it wouldn't fit.

So Sunday, bad, addicted me looked on Craigslist. Guess what was waiting for me. A Greenleaf Tennyson, complete in the box, with 12 pieces of furniture, for $30!! (This is my 2nd $30 CL house this month.) It was over an hour's drive, and I had to do it this week because she's out of town this weekend, and movers are coming Tuesday. I had to do some major bribing to get DH to take me up there tonight. But it's mine! I'm so excited! I will paint it pink with lavender and maybe mint green trim, or maybe lavender with pink and green trim.

Guess my poor Beacon Hill has to wait a bit longer under the bed. She was to be freed in 2 weeks during spring break. :groucho: But, she's patient, and slowly telling me everything she wants, so it will be all figured out by the time it's her turn.

post-3297-1237858778_thumb.jpg

Now, no more Craigslist for me, I have everything I need, and no more nieces that need houses. Right now anyway.

Famous last words...

Yeah, some of that furniture may not make it to Texas. It may get side-tracked somewhere else... :groucho:

Oh, and I forgot! There was also a Fry's in that city - we don't have one anywhere close to me. That store was so much fun! They had everything. So I also got some new tool things. A magnifying glass with helping hands, $17.99 at HBS, paid $4.99! Also got some clamps, and a cool little sanding stylus thing, can't wait to try that!

Oh Holly, you just don't know! It was so much fun. They had computer stuff, electronics stuff, tools, books, movies, games, and even Legos!Oh I do wish there was one in McDonough! Or at least somewhere south of Atlanta. But we never get the good stuff down here. :groucho:

That's a great deal, and some lovely furniture, too! Funny how the Tenneyson has become "hot" lately...lots of folks acquiring one! :(

i'm trying to get rid of my tennyson and brimbles for a beacon hill. no bites yet. i'm thinking that is my sign to just go ahead and build them.

Congrats, and have fun! Im lucky about craigslist in my area, SF Bay craigslist has more dollhouse listings than anywhere else. Ive scored big 3 times,but have to make a mini road trip to pick them up, thats OK though,I dont mind :(

Well, I have to admit, that my husband just asked me to look for something for him, since I'm the "expert", and I could not resist looking for houses. Found a yard sale this weekend with kits for sale. Of course I emailed for info, and of course it's 1 1/2 hours away... Oh, I also found what he wanted.

For those of you that don't see them often, be sure to search for both "dollhouse" and "doll house". I have found my last 2 purchases, and that yard sale, with the latter search. And since it's getting yard sale season, maybe more will start popping up.