Found An Abandoned Kitty

SallyG

I was driving home from work tonight and decided to stop at the new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (which, by the way, I LOVE), and on the way to my car I spotted a poor little red and white kitty almost get hit in the parking lot. It spotted me and came running up and followed me to my car. It looked starved for affection, and very dirty, but sweet and friendly, and wearing a flea collar. 

I opened my car door and it jumped inside and refused to get out of my car, so I just drove it home with me. I pulled into the garage, closed the door, and got out. Went inside, fixed a nice bowl of Fancy Feast and a nice bowl of water and it had a nice meal. It's still in the garage awaiting my husband's arrival so we can decide what to do. I can't bring it inside because of my own kitty. Not only would he have a fit, but I don't know what this kitty could possible be carrying as far as illnesses. 

It's a female, red and white, with claws and I have a sneaking suspicion it could be pregnant. I guess, if worse comes to worst, I could just let it outside. We live in a very pretty development. I just don't know what to do. If I didn't have my own kitty now, I'd let it inside. However, it definitely needs a trip to the vet!

What a dilemma.....

First of all take the kitty to the vet-get it checked out,shots etc.,Spay her if possible.

Now come the introductions--place new kitty in a spare room with food dish,water,litterbox and a bed.Block off the door way with an old screen door if you have one.This way each kitty can see each other and slowly be introduced without risk to either one.At night close the door all the way.If you have an extra radio,turn it on low in the room-it has a calming effect.When you have some time ,bring the new kitty out in your arms and slowly introduce her to the other.DO NOT leave them alone.Take it slowly and eventually they may get along together or they might just tolerate each other.It may take a few weeks.Be patient.

She is now your kitty, you do realize that right? If she has kittens, you've just got a lot of new kitties.

Bottom line ( there is always one of those), you did the right thing. That is all that counts in the end.

A trip to the vet for sure - or your local humane society if they do check ups. Ask if they have a foster program, you could foster her/them! until she/they are adopted.

Thanks for being so caring.

Lisa R.

I'd of done the same thing - any cat that jumps willingly into my car has a new home. They make the most loving, most appreciative cats you can find. One of my cats picked my backyard to have her kittens. She was very aggressive protecting them so we fed her and let her raise them outside until she got comfortable with us. The day she alked inside the house was the last day she wanted anything to do with the outdoors!

(and we found homes for all the kittens) - It is springtime so it could be kittens, but that roundness can also be caused by worms. A single vet trip can take care of worms and fleas.

A single vet trip can take care of worms and fleas.
And if she's preggers, do have her spayed as soon as possible after the little ones come. Our vets are really great about helping find forever homes for puppies & kitties.

I agree (and this is not grief talking) that she has chosen you. You can acclimate the other cat to the little one. Especially since she is so young, the other cat might become parental..like our cats have done in the past.

She needs to go to somewhere with a scanner. All my pets are microchipped and I would be very upset if one got out and lost and somebody just kept it without checking. Someone cared enough to put a collar on her. You should do what you can to find her owners first.

I agree that a trip to the vet is in order! Check to see if she's microchipped, and if not, then decide. I would have to (were it me) foster her until she could find a forever home, but I'd at the very least do that.

trip to the vet:absolutely! Our old Bill cat stray is FIV positive, so he doesn't get to interact with all the four-legged daughters. I tell him that isn't REALLY a bad thing! Hope you can find her a good home, if you can't keep her. She did choose you, but maybe she knew you have a kind heart and will help her find a family

She jumped in your car? Wow, never heard of a kitty brave enough to do that! Must be a sign, LOL! Hope you can work things out in whatever is the best way possible - maybe she's microchipped and just got lost when someone at her home left a door open, and your vet can find her owner. Or, maybe she could tell you were a good person and needs to come live with you :yes:

Get the vet to check her out, scan for microchip - if no chip, report to the Humane Society, in case the owner is looking for her. She's young, and perhaps they were planning to have her spayed soon. She could easily have slipped out the door when the owner was coming in, or going out. Especially if she was in heat - she would be on the hunt for a male. The flea collar is proof that she is cared for. I'd also put a "Found" sign up at the Wal-Mart.

Having said all that, I agree with the others. If you can't track down her owner, guess what? You're her owner! Assuming you can afford to look after her, of course.

I suppose, you also have to ask hubby for his input. :wave:

Well, she is doing just fine. I got some kitty bath wipes and got her all sparkly and soft again, and her little tummy is full. I am getting in touch with the vet tomorrow, since my other cat has to have his thyroid checked and the abscess where he got a shot check over to make sure it has healed well. So at that time I'm speaking to the vet and see if she will give us a break on spaying, etc. She's a very nice vet, and gives my brother-in-law a low rate on spaying the strays he finds (he's a cat NUT), so she may give us a deal, or perhaps the humane society may have some discount coupons. She will also need shots and check-up/tests. 

Since we are in South Florida and the weather is beautiful, she's staying outside, plus goes in and out of our large screened porch. We live in a gated community, way in the back so we are secluded, and the yard is filled with tropical plants and palms. She seems delighted and spends most of her time sleeping on the porch. 

Once her health is ok'd, she will have the green light to come indoors. The first night she was on the porch and our other kitty was at the sliders with the screens pulled shut. As soon as he saw her, he jumped up on his toes, sideways, and started hissing and spitting. She just sat there calmly, looking at him like "what in the heck is YOUR problem?" They are still observing each other through the screens, there is still rumbling and loud squalling (from my old male), and some staredowns, but at the moment, the kitten in on the couch on the porch, and my old kitty in on the couch in the living room...both sleeping peacefully.

Hubby is not totally overjoyed by the whole situation, but I believe, after some half-hearted objections, he has resigned himself to the fact that the kitten will eventually take her place inside. He loves cats, but not in large quantities. His sister, who lives about a mile from us, and her husband (the abovementioned brother-in-law), have, at any given time, 9 to 12 cats..inside. Their house is immaculate, but my husband is overwhelmed by them. 

Where I found her is a total commercial area, so I have no doubt she was dropped off...the flea collar was put on and not even trimmed...so I think it was a last minute thing before she was dropped. I will have the vet check her for ID, but I doubt she will find anything. Besides, I'm so attached now, I can't give her up....she's such a sweet little attention seeker. Of course, I have to give extra affection to the old cat so he does not feel slighted..cats get so jealous.

Anyway, that's the update. I'll have to snap a pic of her this weekend and post it. She's such a happy and contented little girl.

Besides, you know what they say...cats are like potato chips..you can't have just one!!!

Actually that's probably a great introduction method if you have a safe area to keep a cat outside. We live in a gated community too and my two toms are thrilled they get to go back outside. Before this it was a townhome WAY too close to the main road for them to see the light of day.

I bet your hubby ends up loving this cat - she sounds just like the type who willl have him wrapped around her little paw in no time. My dad is the same way - he doesn't understand why anyone owns pets, but they gravitate to him and he's always feeding them.

Every cat is different but you might be surprised how fast they get along. Ive only met one cat who HAD to be an Only Cat. They're usually just hissing at the strange scents - mine still do it to each other if one of them has an extended stay at the vet.

anyone owns pets
Now that's a novel idea! It's been our experience that the pet adopts the people it wants! Whenever we got a dog it was a matter of squtting down and grabbing the puppy as it came barrelling towards us! Yes, I'd say the kittie has adopted YOU.

It's been our experience that the pet adopts the people it wants!

So true. We got MonsterFace through Freecycle. His owner told us that the first two families that took him brought him back because he was too wild. He was awful they said. We were basically three strikes your out for Monster. I fell in love with him at first sight. I told the woman not to worry. I didnt care if he climbed the walls leaving nail gouges behind him, I was not bringing him back.

As you all know the story of MF, he was and is a treasure. He just did not like those other families. He was waiting for us to show up!