Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

I so totally agree about the "fat clothes"!! I got rid of mine and sheesh, I KNOW that's why I've been dying to lose the 10 pounds I had gained in April. My clothes were no longer comfortable :) Now I have lost it again and I have another 10 to go (I do it by 10 pounds each to keep me focused).

Dr. Oz also said no stretch pants, because you don't know when the weight is creeping up. Once I can start finding non-stretch pants that fit, I'll start getting rid of the knit ones, but until I lose a goodly amount I'm not going to find many which fit properly due to the way my excess is distributed without shelling out big bucks. I do think that for exercise, knits move better anyway - no binding and chafing, so perhaps the stretchy stuff can be relegated to the workout bag.

I plan to Holly for sure Holly. I have been putting this off for months now :)

I only did the 20 minute workout today and I walked on my treadmill at 4.5 miles per hour & on a 6 incline for 10 minutes. Anyone else workout today?

I'm signed up for boot camp in an hour. I hope I survive, I went and ate with a friend having a glass of chocolate milk with Mexican food and a salad. My friend went into shock, because I didn't even finish the first plate! But I just felt full and any more was going to make me ill.

Great job Tracy! :) That's much more intense than my treadmill time! I cranked it up to 3.4 m.p.h. on a flat and could scarcely keep up, and 5 m.p.h. is a sprint for me :)

I am disgusted. I am moving more. Doing more. Walking for exercise. I do not notice that I am eating more the usual but the weight has crept up even MORE! WT*!

I had bloodwork done and nothing out of the ordinary. Am I going to have to starve myself to see some kind of results because this is ridiculous...this is going into a full fledged fat rant so just ignore..LOL

I am not wearing stretch pants and my buttons are buttoning fine. So I think I am going to go out and buy a new battery for the scale. If that does not work, I am going to cry. Because I hate being discouraged.

Ugh!

Heidi, don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat - if the scales have gone up, that is probably because you have replaced useless fat with heavy-duty muscle! Keep it up, girl! :)

Wow Lynette!!! Boot Camp! I have been afraid to do that at the local gym. I do like working out at home at my own pace though. I feel less pressured and not as intimidated as I do when I fall on my face in front of everyone :) (Literally I am VERY clumsy) :)

Heidi, you lose inches sometimes way before the scale shows a change. Go by how your clothes feel. Also, take measurements of yourself. You'll be surprised at how many inches you can lose in a years time! I am so glad I did that this time. When I finally calculated the results 1 year later felt really proud of myself. I hope by next year, I see more changes :rofl: Here is a blank measurement chart I used. Print it off and measure yourself.

post-4-1278701133_thumb.jpg

Heidi, someone else posted this (ME!), the purpose of exercise is to lose FAT and become healthier. Muscle does weigh more than fat, and you are burning fat AND strengthening muscles. Do NOT step on the scales, at least not oftener than once a month. If you just want to lose weight, get with a licensed nutritionist and your doctor to go on a diet (that you'll STAY on for the rest of your life). The exercise will start showing weight loss AFTER you've shed fat in excess of the weight of your new muscle mass. Definitely go by the way your clothes fit.

Yes, Heidi, don't be discouraged. Don't forget that your weight also varies throughout the day. I weigh almost every day to make sure it isn't creeping up further, but I'm noticing subtle changes which I sometimes think must be my imagination but I know are small improvements which would be undetectable to anyone else. My ribcage feels slimmer and the curve of my gluteus maximus looks more like it should and rather surprised me when I caught my silhouette in the mirror. Though I've had no more weight loss, I feel different. Eventually these changes should be detectable to the scale and others.

I did make it through Boot Camp at the Sugarhouse gym, which was quite different to the 4 I've gone to at the Murray gym. Aside from running in place and jumping jacks, there was no real running or jumping, no push ups, and yet my heart rate was higher than the other sessions. There were 3 other ladies, none of whom knew what to expect. This teacher had us using a step and moving with weights, which seems to be where the difference was intensified. I must say I like the no jumping, since that is one of my toughest challenges on my feet and ankles.

I made it to the gym today, doing 25 minutes on the treadmill, 20 bike, weight machines, stretching (I actually did the splits to satisfy my and another patrons curiosity and was shocked to discover I made it 95% down, something I haven't done since 1996), then I did .875 mile in the pool, which took 57 minutes lol (I've been shooting for 1 mile = 1 hour, so I'll have to increase the last 4 laps into those 3 minutes over the next week or so)

Another Boot Camp tomorrow at Noon, then babysitting later in the afternoon.

SPLITS, Lynette - SHEESH!! I am impressed, really. Let's see, the last time I could do those was, well ahem, a very, very long time ago. May never get those back again - joints ain't what they used to be, after all - but I would dearly love to be able to do backbends again. My tummy muscles used to be so strong that I could reach backwards and touch my hands to the floor, knowing it was only those lovely spring-steel muscles in my abdomen that were holding me. Those were the days, and some of it I'll never get back, but I do SO want those core muscles that strong again. And that's not beyond my reach, nor is the floor behind me! :) (hey, my tummy isn't sitting nearly as far out in my lap as it used to.....)

Thank you for the print out Tracy.

I used to be able to walk 6 miles a day (no car), I could stretch so well that while sitting on floor...I could put my nose on the floor in front of me, and I could pick up Fred! hehehe

I do not want to go back to that again..it would be nice but I am not going to over burden my brain with things that may not be attainable. I just want to get back down to what I was before surgery..small steps. After that, we will see what happens..LOL

Thanks all. You know what it feels like to work so hard and see no results. It makes you want to give up.

Boot Camp today and my legs felt like they were going to collapse in a heap! It's probably because I was pushing the resistance on the bike this week, combined with pushing up the swim to 7/8 mile and not enough rest time between finishing up the workout last night at 7:30 and noon today. Oh well, I'll live, but I sure wish I wasn't babysitting Robbie and the twins all day, because I'd really love a nap. :)

Today I did 15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 on the bike, weight machines, ball sit ups and other exercises, stretching, and 10 more minutes on the treadmill. I didn't do the swim because I thought something was on I wanted to watch but it turns out I was wrong. Oh well, I was still there over 2 hours.

The gal at the check in said she could see a difference in my torso (an unsolicited observation :) )

Today Fred and I walked a smidge under 2 miles. We keep adding to the route. I went to the foot dr. I have that planfascia thingy. I have to exercise my achillies tendon, ice, ibuprofen, and maybe a support (i can get at eastern mountain sports).

I also need to get a new pair of sneakers. He told me that when you walk jog or run on a regular basis, you should replace your sneaks every 3-6 months.

Great Job Lynette & Heidi! You two are kicking butt!!

Today, I only did my 20 min turbo jam workout. I went to the doctor and was up all night cause my husband is sick and coughing (He has another cold :) ). I just want to go to bed but I feel happy that I did my 20 min workout. I don't think I'll do my 40 min one today but sometimes I get my extra energy around 7pm LOL.

We've got serious winds going today (45+ mph gusts), with the whole area in high alert for fire hazards what with how hot and dry it's been and now the wind. Pray no one drops a match in the wrong place.....

Anyway, I'm staying indoors today, so have walked the halls for half an hour, boring but it does help at least a little. Tomorrow I get to go to the doctor's for the beginning of a full physical, such fun.

Actually, I'm glad I'm going coz I had something weird happen last night when I went to bed - my tongue was a little sore and then I woke up with half of it badly swollen, NOT a happy feeling! Had trouble swallowing, then it went down pretty quickly, and I went back to sleep. Only to wake up again a little later with the underside of my tongue swollen, a scratchy throat and the glands under my jaw sore and enlarged. The tongue settled down, but I still have the scratchy throat and somewhat enlarged glands....What the heck, I'm thinking, ummmm now that you mention it I never did have the mumps as a kid.....nor get vaccinated for them (didn't get the MMR shots coz I'd already had the measles, which darn near killed me as a kid)....Hey, I'm hoping this is just some bizarre allergic reaction, though to what I can't imagine! :)

The custom orthotics are not covered by insurance and they cost.........$300! Bwahahahahahah ah-hahahahahaha

I would rather have the cortisone shots in my heels and I heard those hurt like a mother. I do not care but I cannot see me paying that amount of money for something that might not even work.

I will do the exercises and stretches, ice, and hope that the rest will work.

Thanks about the 6 miles but I did 6 miles like 20 years ago..ROFL

I am up to 2 miles..I feel like I am going to either die or smack Fred. I cannot do either because you do not die from sweating (that I know of) and I am so tired and in pain that I cannot catch Fred to smack him..ROFL

Do not worry..I am over doing it but in a good way. By the time the pain sets in, my walk is almost over.

My feet are KILLING me so I do not know if we will walk tomorrow..we will see.

I have a question.

Yesterday the weirdest thing happened. My left foot and ankle (NOT my right also) swelled up. It started around 8pm and it was still like that when i went to sleep. It was fine when I woke up.

I do not get swollen feet..at all.

So I tell the foot dr. He asks me if I had calf pain, which I did not. He said the only time you see that someone has only one foot swollen and not both...is when they have a blood clot.

What should I do if this happens again??

Should I tell my regular GP about it?

I do not have circulation issues and like I said..never had swelling before except when I twisted an ankle or something.

Okay, time to eat dinner.

Jeez, Heidi, we're just a swell bunch, aren't we?

There is one other reason one ankle could swell - my left ankle is always slightly swollen compared to the right one, and it's because I sprained it and tore the ligaments several times when I was a young adult. Did some serious damage there back then and am paying for it a bit now. Any injuries like that in your past? Just a thought - otherwise, I'd definitely IMMEDIATELY tell your GP about it if it happens again. Possible blood clots in a leg are nothing to fool around with.

Find out what's going on with that ankle, Heidi - it's not something you should wait to check.

The orthotics are a good investment. When I taught theatre school I was on my feet for several hours at a time. My feet and ankles were in severe pain! I paid $400.00 (no, I'm not rich) for a pair of orthotic sandals, and was able to stand teaching all day, and go home without that awful pain. It was definitely worth it. :)

All of you are doing so well ... it's wonderful to read your posts!