Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Birkenstock makes nice orthotics for about $40/ pair; makes nearly every pair of shoes you wear feel like Birkies. Mine travel amongst my hiking boots. Heidi, sit on the bed with your feet out in front & your knees slightly bent and slowly point your toes up towards your knees. Any pain? Tell your doctor. No pain? Probably not clots.

The supports I bought are Powerstep full length, which according to the packaging are supposed to be sold through podiatrists, but a quick search online shows them available online at Walmart for $34.95. I found mine at a local closeout place for $7.99. What I liked is that they are stiff and substantial, unlike some I saw other places. When I wear them and am standing around all that pressure feels horrid on my arch, but I've not had any real problems with pain during or after exercise; I figure that the arch discomfort from standing around will diminish over time as my foot adjusts. Initially I was looking at avoiding all land based walking and doing it in the pool, but after getting the supports I've walked up to 40 minutes without stopping on the treadmill.

I took Tracy's missed Dr. appointments to heart and went in for getting my drivers license form filled out, got an anti inflamatory pain prescription, and talked about my efforts to lose weight. He got after me for not scheduling a mamogram like I was supposed to, so I"ll have to see about scheduling that and a few other Dr. appointments tomorrow.

One thing I did not like was that my blood pressure was a little high, 144 of 98 (I think), so I'm supposed to watch the salt consumption and continue to try losing weight. Saturday I broke down and ate French fries and had some canned ravioli, so I'm betting that that was what did it. Too much salt would also explain why the weight isn't coming off. I don't really have any concept on just how much the daily limit of salt should be in a visual unit - teaspoons I understand, milligrams are mysterious tiny units which are tougher to gauge. And I have 3 bottles of V8, which I know is high in salt. :)

Since I had the appointment in the middle of the day, I only had a short trip to the gym. 15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 bike, and weight machines.

Lynette, 15 milligrams = 1 teaspoon, if that helps. The way our LPN put it, if it comes in a can or a box, it's 'way too much salt!

We are in the process of doing daily AM & PM blood pressures after our trip to the doctor Friday for Rx renewal. I'm getting an ac inhibitor added to my beta-blocker to fine-tune my blood pressure. We found an Omron machine (that retails at Wally World for US$99.99) for 'way, 'way less and worked perfectly (not sure since last night & this AM it showed my pulse rate to be 64 & 69, respectively, and I have a pacemaker set on 60...).

Holly, you'll find the ACE inhibitor/Beta blocker combo works really nicely, at least it does for me. I've been on lisinopril (ace inh) and metoprolol (beta) with good ole HCTZ for years and my bp is holding nicely at ~ 114/70 with a resting pulse of around 60-62. The HCTZ is funny stuff - it doesn't make me go WHOOSH! the way lasix does, but just let me miss a few doses and oy, I'm absolutely sloshing with excess fluid!

One of these days I'd love to get a BP monitor, but they're just a little too pricey for me at this point. Someday....:)

Holly, that is the kind of exercise i have to do in the morning to stretch my plantar fascia and Achilles tendon. The only thing I feel is the pull of the tendon...but I will keep an eyeball on it!

We walked again this morning. I am just going to say 2 miles..LOL He wants to add to the route tomorrow. My heels are numb. That is a good thing for now. I am going to look into Birks Holly. Check out their website. I think I might buy some to wear around the house also.

I am sweaty but feel good.

Mary,

If it is not one thing it is another, huh?

Holly, We actually have a Birkenstock Central about 20 mins drive from my house. They are a repairer and a retailer. I think I will make a trip up there and see what they have in their clearance bins.

:)

I've been on lisinopril...
Well that's the ACE inhibitor I've had ordered to start taking.

We went grocery shopping today and the store had a canned ravioli display up, so DH & I read the label; ain't no way I'd put that much salt & fat into my body at one time (and that's per serving!), much less french fries! I have a tummyache just thinking about it!

You and me, both!!

And, yes, Heidi, if it ain't one thing....Back from the doctor and he's taking me off of one of my three BP meds because my BP is now TOO LOW! Guess I'm doing the whole BP/weight management thing too well LOL!

Also, sadly, my foot is not healing, not getting worse but just plain not getting any better either, so now I get to go to a wound care clinic in Yakima. They're making an appointment for me, but one thing I know: whatever day(s) I go to Yakima, only about 70 miles away but the closest complex medical care next to going all the way to Seattle, I can count on spending the whole day coming and going on the van service....But, still, if it will help get my foot to start healing, I guess it'll be worth it (grumble groan cuss).

DID lose another 4 lbs as well - YIPPEE!!

Don't know, Holly, just that my doctor admits that he's stumped about what to try next, and wants me to go to a wound care facility for evaluation and, I'm hoping, treatment. They are making the appointment, and it's a narrow window they have to work with, since I can only go on Tuesdays, as that's the only day of the week I have transport to Yakima. JEEZ, I do wish I had my own car again!!!

If it ain't one thing, it's something else, right?

BTW, having Spanish rice tonight, made with ground turkey and no-salt-added canned tomatoes - the smell is heavenly! And a tossed salad with my very own leaf lettuce, "Bon Vivant" variety which is a mix of red/green/romaine lettuces. YUM!! :)

I recently made a dish my Mom used to make, a soup with tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, onions, and hamburger, but I substituted ground turkey and I rather liked it.

Today I did 15 minutes on the treadmill, 20 on bike, weight machines, stretching, ball sit ups, and 7/8 mile in the pool. I was there for 4 hours again. :) I guess I spend more time stretching than I thought. The pool pt time is also time consuming but doesn't get it's own mention in my exercise log.

Mary, try your Spanish rice with fresh tomatoes some time; also with black beans! I make chili with ground turkey, black beans and nsa canned tomatoes (and chilil powder, with a pinch of cayenne).

Are they going to try hyperbaric oxygen treatments?

What is that?? A primary care doctor sold his farm (literally) to buy one for his grandson here in town. I am sure it was a process, but for the past couple years there has been a lot of hype about it. Never really looked into it.

I have now lost 13 lbs. I went from 10mg of Lisinipril down to a quarter tablet. I stopped eating all the pizza at lunch and went to salads without dressing. A Zumba class plus walking with the family. I feel so much better! That diet and exercise myth worked!! :)

What is that?? A primary care doctor sold his farm (literally) to buy one for his grandson here in town. I am sure it was a process, but for the past couple years there has been a lot of hype about it. Never really looked into it.

I have now lost 13 lbs. I went from 10mg of Lisinipril down to a quarter tablet. I stopped eating all the pizza at lunch and went to salads without dressing. A Zumba class plus walking with the family. I feel so much better! That diet and exercise myth worked!! :)

Basically it's a chamber that can be flooded with pure oxygen at high pressures (hyperbaric) to promote wound healing.

Congratulations. The only way for the weight loss to work is to find a healthy diet regimen you wre willing to commit to forever. Our ARNP told us if it comes in a can or a box, it's probably too high in salt & fat, and so far she's right on! My favorite is canned sausage gravy at 17 grams of FAT per serving, and one little can contains 7+ servings! (needless to say, we don't eat canned sausage gravy!lol)

Oh, congratulations, Anna, on the weight loss and buying into the diet and exercise myth! It really does work, once you get your mind set to just not eat those high-fat, high-sodium things - and believe me, after a while, you really do stop even wanting them.

The spanish rice was only okay, next time I'll try fresh tomatoes and maybe add some black beans like you said, Holly.

Speaking of being weak diet-wise - my neighbor, a professional cook, brought me a couple of slices of cheesecake he'd made last night, and I'm sorry to say I did eat one of them. And was up in the night with hideous indigestion, which I will NEVER tell this poor man! Wasn't his fault my system just can't take anything that rich anymore - and no one held a gun to my head when I was eating it, even though I knew better. Just saying "NO!" sometimes isn't all that easy....SIGH.

The orthotics I got were custom made, which is why they were so expensive. A mold was made of each of my feet, and the sandals were made to fit me exactly! They not only made a huge difference for my feet and ankles, but also for my back. :happydance: I imagine any good support will help.

Mary, I hope the doctors get you all fixed up - quickly, and painlessly. :D

Being lactose intolerant means that I find it easier to refuse the rich, dairy and calorie laden delicacies ... even though they are the exact foods that I crave!! Usually, the price (digestively speaking) is just not worth it. ;)

Went to the doctor. They did blood tests and I gotta wait to find out the results ( it can take up to two weeks cause they send it to 2 different labs). I have not seen the endo doctor since I lost weight. It's a new doctor now so maybe she won't think I just need to "push away from the table". That is why I had not been back. How can you tell someone with a thyroid problem that they'll lose weight if the push away from the table? :D Maybe that's why he retired or maybe he made that statement to the wrong person :happydance: LOL

Anyway, I just did my 40 min Cardio Turbo jam dance party workout and will go walking this evening when the girls are in there dance class if I feel up to it. I may just read a book till they are out again. It depends on my mood at the time ;)

have now lost 13 lbs. I went from 10mg of Lisinipril down to a quarter tablet. I stopped eating all the pizza at lunch and went to salads without dressing. A Zumba class plus walking with the family. I feel so much better! That diet and exercise myth worked!! tongue.gif

Congratulations Aurda!!! That is totally Fabulous News!!!

Another 4+ hour trip to the gym. 30 minutes treadmill, 20 minutes bike , weight machines, land physical therapy exercises, stretching, water P.T. and 7/8 mile swimming.

I've lost 2-2.5" in the waist and may be down .5" in the hips, it's tough to measure because the tape is coming apart on one end and tricky to manipulate. :happydance:

I put the Pepperidge Farm cookies back! They were on sale for BOGO and I put them in the cart and then after about 10 mins..I returned them back to where they came from!

I am not stepping on the scale because I do not want to be discouraged.

Fred and I have been walking every morning so far this week It has been 2 miles each time except today. We only did a mile because I had to go to the dentist for my last quad scraping. Now I have to go to the dentist every three months for cleanings and checks.

So I am still doing it and ignoring the scale for now.

Congrats to everyone!

I want to lower my pill intake also.

Great Job Lynette :D I know you are feeling Good about that!!

Heidi, yes, ignore the stupid scale for now. You can have a person with a "healthy" weigh in really be "unhealthy". You are on the right track by continuously & consistently working out. Keep it up :happydance:

Hugs to all of you! You all are so inspiring!

I put the Pepperidge Farm cookies back! They were on sale for BOGO and I put them in the cart and then after about 10 mins..I returned them back to where they came from!

Good job, Heidi! :happydance: It's tough to resist those temptation foods. Sometimes some sugared soda pop or snack food finds it's way for an aisle or two, then I put it back, usually - I did falter over the 4th of July.

I made an interesting discovery today while waiting for something to toast: I can balance on one foo (sort of). I was barefoot at the time and it came as quite a shock, because last Saturday at Boot Camp we had to do all these things on one foot (forces you to use your core muscles more) and I wobbled and wobbled like a spent top. I've decided that the older shoes I've been trying to get some use out of before breaking in the new ones are the culprit. I wore the new pair to the gym today.

15 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on the bike, weight machines, ball sit ups, stretches and physical therapy exercises, pool therapy, followed by 7/8 mile in the pool. For once I wasn't trying to rush back to watch a television program so I got to spend time in the hot tub and sauna. :happydance: