Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Thursday: 15 minutes treadmill, 15 bike, arm cycle 5, row 5, weight machines, ball crunches, stretching and P.T.

Friday: 47 treadmill, 5 arm cycle, 15 bike, 10 row, weight machines, ball crunches, P.T., swim 1 mile.

The mile was 5 minutes faster today. :p But it was almost 6 hours when I walked out the door.

One of the gals from Boot Camp said she could see a difference!

Because of the state holiday festivities, I didn't get to the gym til after midnight, so I put in a short workout: 15 minutes treadmill, 15 bike and weight machines, so my string of no missed days since the 2nd is still intact!

Rosalind, I could have a dollhouse in every room. :) I would really like that, unfortunately we have a 9 month old kitten that loves to jump on my Pierce. So far she has broken off the roof cresting and the porch railings. Thank goodness the house needs to be renovated anyways. I guess I should look at it as 'Bella' being a sub-contractor and she's saved me the work of removing all of that stuff. And, hopefully as she gets older she won't be interested in the houses anymore than her 2 big brothers are.

lyn

7/27 I forgot my socks (in the swim bag, which I didn't bring because it was going to be a short workout), so I tried the treadmill with no socks and got a nasty spot on the side of my foot after 10:00. :D

7/28 Wore my older pair of shoes with the inserts (making my feet ride higher in the shoes and thus missing the sore spot). I did 10:00 on the elliptical, then did 5 minutes on the treadmill, then I was masochistic and did another 10:00 on the elliptical. Boy, elliptical is much tougher! Weight machines, the .5 mile in the pool. When I went, I was only going to do pool so my sore foot wouldn't matter, so I ran out of time to do a full mile.

7/29 10:00 on the treadmill and Boot Camp. There were only 4 in the class, so it was like sharing the trainer!

7/30 Elliptical 10:00 (.65 mile), weights, ball crunches, P.T., stretching.

7/31 Boot Camp. After class the manager (who went to the casting call for the Biggest Loser so they could give out cards for 1 week at the gym to aspiring contestants) told me there really wasn't a huge crowd, so I left the gym and went to the casting call, filled out an application and in minutes was in a group interview with seven others. No call back, but I get the impression very few do without submitting a video. I'm arranging to borrow my brother's video camera.

8/1 I stopped at a few stores on the way to what was supposed to be a brief trip to the gym before going up the canyon to try a hike. I got a water bottle with a straw so I could fill it full of V8 (the other one I bought drinking from the bottle edge resulted in dribbles of V8 down my shirt :horse: , okay, that one will be the water bottle). I picked up another swimsuit in my size, since, in 6 short weeks, the salt water in the pool has destroyed the elastic in the outer fabric in my then brand new swim suit. A friend says rinsing it thoroughly will make it last longer, but just in case they don't, I'd like to pick up a couple more to tide me over to spring when the next crop of swimsuits arrive.

I drove up the canyon to hike a shorter yet pretty hike and went to the parking area, got out, started my watch so I could monitor my heart rate, and set out. Well it wasn't really the trail head after all, so I hiked up to the dirt road above, where a sign pointed the way to the trail. Low and behold! There were logs and debris on the trail and a big sign saying "closed for rehabilitation" ;) . Well right next to the trail head on the opposite side of the stream was a building belonging to the Wasatch Mountain Club (a hiking group), so I skirted the edge of the patio, figuring that the trail behind would meet up with the one I wanted. Well, there wasn't really a trail back there, it looked like the whole area was regularly trampled, probably by youngsters while their parents picnicked at the club. So I returned to the car. Well that was 20 minutes and my heart rate got up with the little that i did, so I guess I can't complain.

Late night trip to the Sugarhouse gym for a short workout. 15 minutes treadmill (.72 mile), stretching, 5:00 elliptical, and weights.

The exciting thing: weight down 2.6 pounds from Thursday night! :)

Does the Wasatch Mountain Club have a contact person or a website? Contact them to find out when they meet and get some of their trail maps & info on which ones are open. Our Florida Trail Association chapter gives trail info at our meetings, and in addition to organized hikes there are opportunities to do trail maintenance, which can be a lot of fun and a great opportunity to meet folks.

I am doing a Workout Challenge with some of my friends online this week. Today was day 1 of P90X . Not sure if I'll do the entire 90 days of it because I have done a mixture of Turbo Jam & P90X and I call it TurboX LOL

Today I did P90X Core Synergistics

My Favorite Core Move was: Bow to Boat

My Favorite Quote (or reminder for me) "Bend Your knees when you put your weights down"

I Also did My Walk for the day. 2 miles at the gym while my daughters did there Kickboxing class It felt great after being lazy for almost a week!

• Like 1

Tracy, stick with it! You can do it! :)

It looks like the Wasatch Mountain Club does all sorts of outdoor activities, but started with a group of hikers in the 1930's. I'm not sure if it's the same group the lady I bought my house from used to be involved in or not, but I think maybe I'll give her a call to find out more.

Short day today, because I was doing grocery shopping, which always takes more time than you think it will, but I got some really great salad kits with the greens, cranberries, almonds, feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette for only 75 cents, so you can guess what I had for dinner. I bought some in the past and loved it, so I grabbed 10 bags and shoved them into the refrigerator. I got some lite Yoplait yogurt, cherry cobbler flavored 12 pack for only $3.99. I also picked up an insulated lunch bag to take something to the gym when I have an extra long workout. I thought I could take a yogurt and some fruit, maybe a sandwich some days. I grabbed some apples, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, and yams, but somehow forgot the eggplant I had picked out (I thought I'd find a recipe for mousakka). I had to make a stop at Walmart and some cinnamon rolls followed me around for a couple of aisles before I managed to lose them, but I did get plenty of the house brand version of Crystal Light since I'm supposed to be consuming large quantities of water.

I did 10 minutes on the treadmill and 5 on the elliptical. My ankle was bothering me a little, so I didn't go as long as I would have liked. I did the arm cycle machine then went and did weights. It suddenly occurred to me how one machine is set up, you set the weight for both the left and right sides separately, and that the 25 pounds I've been complaining about feeling tough is really 50 pounds! Suddenly I felt much better. I added the chest press to the mix, hoping it will help with those awful push ups! My upper body strength seems nonexistent at times. Then onto ball crunches and stretching.

It will really help for you to get into the habit of reading the nutritional content labels for fat content, including saturated (mono & poly are both nonos) fats & cholesterol; carbs, which pile on the pounds, and sodium, which can easily exceed your body's daily requirements; and the ingredients, since most prepared foods contain all sorts of fun things you want to avoid that the food manufacturers put in there as appetite boosters (they're selling their products, remember).

Crystal Lite is NOT the same as drinking water, it contains sugars, salt and food coloring. Water by itself flushes a lot of "stuff" out of your body, including soluble fats. Why not just make a dressing from olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a pinch of herbs? My pet peeve right now is that no one makes fruit-on-the bottom fat-free yogurt.

For determining nutritional value in foods, check out the NuVal website. It is a system devised by Yale University scientists for rating various foods on their nutritional vaue. The Price Chopper and Hy-Vee grocery stores in this area are beginning to post the NuVal rating on the price tickets. The rather complex formula they apply considers the amount of sodium, various additives, sugar, etc., and assigns a rating between 1 and 100. Fresh fruits and vegetables score in the 98-100 range; sugar donuts about 2.

http://www.nuval.com/Community/expertanswers/

Basically, what it does for the consumer is consider all of the nutritional info on the package and let us know which product offers the most nutritious serving. Think dry cereal for a moment. Have you spent a long time comparing for calories, amount of sugar, amount of sodium, etc? Now you can reach for the box with he highest NuVal rating and feel comfortable with your choice. This also applies to canned and frozen food, pasta, soft drinks -- anything found in a grocery store.

No, I have no connection to this program. I just think it's a great boon to people who want the most nutritious bang for their food bucks.

I've been checking out nutritiondata.self.com, which rates foods on how filling, nutrient balance, amino acids, and percentage of calories from fat, carbs, and protein. It has the complete nutritional data from the label too.

I've been looking at labels alot. I bought some jerky to eat as a snack at the gym and selected the one with the lowest sodium. I also liked that it had 10 grams of protein and only 70 calories. I read the ingredients and also consider where a product originated too (too many service announcements imploring us to "Buy Utah First!").

The corned beef and cabbage cooking in the crock pot tastes rather bland as a soup, I'm afraid, because I haven't poured in lots of salt. I understand that the palette is supposed to eventually not crave salt as much in food and wonder how long that will take. :) I'm trying to use up the prepared foods and items like the ham and corned beef from the freezer in a way which won't overdo any of the no no's in a big way.

I went on a short hike (no trail closed this time) this afternoon. I have no idea how far I went, but it took 25 minutes without stops coming back. I was videotaping periodically and by the point where I turned around I had been on the trail for 55 minutes - all in the cardio range, even with the stops!

I went to the gym for a session with the weight machines and working on my lunges, light stretching too.

I'm down 1.7 pounds from Sunday's weigh in. :horse: For some reason I thought it was lower, but I just checked with a calculator.

I couldn't find the car keys to go to the gym last night, so I missed a day. :) So today I made 2 copies and found one pair out in the back yard in the grass.

Did the proverbial bad diet illustration shoot at Golden Corral for the Biggest Loser submission today. I piled the food on, ate some, and smuggled out the leftover meat, because there was no way I could eat as much as I've done in the past. Even so, it's depressing to know that that one meal will probably set me back a week. I'm fairly sure I was down another pound or two, but without keys, I couldn't get to an exact scale to see.

Boot Camp at the Sugarhouse gym. Some free weights at home. I've cleared a space in the living room where I can work on the exercise ball or with the resistance bands now. Anthony (tonight's class trainer) said I should do one hike each week, and I've spoken with my nephew about doing a hike, probably on a Saturday. They will hike me into the ground, but I'm confident they'll come back for me periodically. There were 2 forks on the trail I did the other day, and I'm thinking that the other fork would be good, which has an excellent view of the valley.

No hike today, I'm afraid. I had Boot Camp at noon, took Tiara to the grocery store, and went to my brother's to edit the video for the Biggest Loser. Unfortunately we had to wait for the tape to play in real time while it uploaded to the computer, so I'll have to go back to edit it tomorrow. I need to cut some stuff, because it's running too long, so I reviewed the footage to see what could go to tighten it up. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to go hike Sunday or not.

The other missing key showed up. In the end I could have searched til eternity, because the other key was stuck in the water bottle handles in the car. I was taking them into the store to fill, when I realized I was holding keys, and not the pair I'd just clipped onto the purse strap with a carabeener. Now I'll have to lose all four before I can't make it to the gym next time! :)

Sunday - 7 minutes elliptical, 10 treadmill, 10 bike, weight machines, .5 mile swimming.

Monday - Today's workout was at Mother Nature's Gym. 3 hour hike up the Lower Big Water trail, taking the fork toward Dog Lake. I felt great going up, hardly stopping to rest at all, maybe a half dozen times at most for under a minute each time. Unfortunately downhill was painful. My left ankle had been aching, probably from the irregular surface combined with a previous knee injury. The big toes started complaining as well. I was really struggling. Finally I came to the fork on the way back to the 2 different trail heads. I took the one I didn't park at, because it was .2 mile shorter and I could see both parking lots, so I knew I wouldn't be making it up at the bottom. I drove home barefoot because I couldn't find one of my sandals and I had an angry looking blister on the side of my right big toe. By the time I got home, my right ankle was very sore and my knees were both stiff. I went to the gym and soaked in the hot tub and floated in the pool.

The knee stiffness is better, but I think the ankle will take a few days before it recovers. I'm mad at myself for getting carried away, though I did turn around .9 mile before Dog Lake. I just wanted to reach the lake so badly for the simple reason it was there and on the trail I chose to hike. It was a beautiful day for it, with a few light sprinkles (I had my rain poncho), not too hot, no mosquitoes, few flies. Everyone and their dog was on the trail - literally. This was the only canyon which allows dogs and it was a leash optional day. There was even a party on horseback. The wildflowers were in bloom, too! I suppose a lot of people might get carried away on such a day.

I'm sure the right ankle will start feeling better tomorrow. I'll take some ibuprofen, put ice on it and keep it elevated and avoid the treadmill and elliptical for a few days and spend more time in the water.

Tuesday I could hardly put any weight on my right foot, so I went to the Dr. She said I had strained my peroneal tendon. I was glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. So I only did free weights at home.

Wednesday my foot felt better, but I'm paying close attention to the ankles. 10 minutes elliptical, 11:00 treadmill, arm cycle 5:00, weight machines, crunches and P.T.

Thursday I decided to try a yoga class in the time slot before boot camp. I'm not sure what to think, I had difficulty transitioning from some positions to others and in some positions my hands kept trying to slide away if there was any perspiration on my palms. I was a little surprised when I went to the room at the time for Boot Camp and found nobody there. Apparently class was canceled and I didn't get word.

Oh, I almost forgot! I've lost another 3.3 pounds since last Thurday.

Because of tomorrow's class (and how my legs were in agony when I did a long workout the day before) I kept the cardio portion short. 16 minutes treadmill at 10 degree incline, 5 minutes arm cycle, weight machines (I've added 3 new ones this week to help with hiking, I hope), stretching and P.T. and .5 mile swim.

For some reason the gym was really quiet and I had the pool and hot tub all to myself, making it very peaceful and relaxing.

Boot Camp today, but they're changing the name to something like Body Buster. Only one trainer will be teaching it now, which seems like a shame, because each has a slightly different focus.

I've been reading a book on nutrition with wide eyes. :angry: The things they put in our food! Two chemicals in my diet Mountain Dew either of which when combined with citric acid (vitamin C) combine to make benzene! These are present in most sodas, but Coca Cola has pulled it from some (but not all) of their products. The high fructose corn syrup elevates bad cholesterol. On and on. Plastics and PVC, BPA in the lining of most canned goods, teflon. And I've only just dipped into the book.

I've started a box of food products I'm not going to eat. The applesauce and honey dijon mustard, both containing high fructose corn syrup were the first in.

My niece left the kitchen door open and I discovered a mouse running across the counter to the stove, which always freaks me out! The scarcely opened bags of cereal went straight into the trash! (They did contain corn syrup, so I was in a dilemma, but problem solved). The pine nuts on the counter were completely gone and the shells were deposited behind the microwave. All the dishes but two problem ones have been washed and put awayl, cupboards closed. I've just spent the last two hours on the dishes and counter and tomorrow will turn my attention to the table and floors. My hi tech mouse trap has been fetched from my neighbor's (at midnight, no less) and will take care of the pest(s) in a matter of days, if not hours.

Those little guys really give me the creeps!!!!