Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

I have my two mousers to deal with any mice that come in the house. Those mice never stay in here long enough to eat anything..LOL

I have not been doing much of anything in the traditional sense of exercise because all I have been doing is everything else. Driving, cleaning, cooking, etc etc. I am too tired for anything else. So that is why I have been quiet here. Maybe I will be able to get back into the swing of it soon but not right now. I have to keep my body from falling over from all that I have to do now.

Congrats to all that are doing so well!

Good report from the doctor on my foot yesterday - it IS healing, slowly yes, but it is healing. I don't doubt that I'll have more antibiotics before it's all over, but if I can stay out of the hospital AND keep the foot, I'm going to be happy!

Am hobbling very badly today because, after doing very little walking for the last several weeks, I walked about half a mile yesterday between walking to the store from the doctor's and then to the post office later. My feet started to just SCREAM! in the middle of the night - poor things just weren't used to that, I guess. Am going to be very quiet the next day or so until they settle down again, then start walking again, but not that much at a stretch at first.

One thing I must do today is make some brown stock. Got these beautiful beef knuckle bones at the store yesterday - they don't usually have them, they'll order them for you if you call ahead a day or two, but for some reason they did yesterday and I grabbed them. I LOVE true brown stock made from good beef bones that you brown in the oven first and then simmer veeeery slooooowly for hours, cool and de-fat.....The only problem is that today is going to be our hottest day yet this year. SIGH!! Thank goodness for the AC is all I can say!

Oh, and I'm down another five pounds from when I was at the doctor's not quite two weeks ago - HOORAY!!

Jumping onto this thread -- about a year ago I suddenly realized I wasn't getting any younger (it took me sixty plus years to figure that out? Sheesssh), so I started only buying the good stuff at the grocery store and developed an exercise program.

After a year, I'm down thirty pounds and four pants sizes. My husband, on the other hand, who has no choice but to eat what's in front of him at home, but who travels a lot and loads up on the fun stuff while he's on the road, has lost nearly as much, plus his numbers have gone way down on his annual blood work, while mine are just the same.

It isn't fair!!!

Sunday: 15 minutes treadmill, 5 minutes arm cycle, weight machines.

Monday: 20 minutes treadmill, 5 arm cycle, 7 elliptical, weight machines

Tuesday: 41 minutes treadmill (there was a really interesting show on haunted places on), weight machines.

Wednesday: 26 minutes treadmill, 6 arm cycle, 5 elliptical, weight machines, and later a water aerobics class.

The mouse trap light was flashing Monday morning, which pleased me very much. I do use peanut butter. My feline friend brings me unconventional "mice", but then her mother was known to bring hot dogs, the hot dog package, gold fish, and so forth, so I shouldn't be surprised. Her "mice" vary with what I'm doing. If I'm doing things with Barbies, she brings some Barbie accessory, sewing - spool of thread, etc. I think my favorite was the potato I kept finding under my bed - she'd bite into it and carry it. I don't think she's ever seen a real mouse.

Ahem, my Koko brought in a real mouse night before last, and I'm afraid I shrieked until I realized he'd already killed the poor thing. Then I praised and made much of his hunting prowess. See, he's been known to bring in LIVE mice to play with and chased the poor things around the living room.....

He brought another mouse, big one, in about two hours ago, dropped it in his food dish and then alternated between working on the mouse and chomping his dry food....Apparently the dry food won out because he tossed the mouse out of the dish and scorfed down more of his dry chow. Mouse ended up being flushed down the toilet and I'll admit I'm delighted he seems to prefer catching mice to eating them!

In his later years our elderly Beagle was known to supplement his diet with whatever varmints too slow or stupid to get away; but by then he was an outdoor dog who only came into the house under protest for cold weather & storms.

Well, cats and dogs are after all carnivores, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised when they bring their own meat home. Still, I am glad my little killer seems to prefer the catching to the eating. I can well remember dealing with the tapeworms another mouser used to get from eating HIS catches! UGH!!!!

Thursday night Boot Camp may be in trouble if people don't start showing up after they've signed up. I was the only person who showed, so I chatted with the trainer, speculating about a better time slot, my big hike, and a few exercise questions, then I swam a half a mile.

I did 10 minutes on the recumbent bike I bought Tuesday at the thrift store for $30. It has a nice smooth action and I'm a little mystified that someone would buy what had to be an expensive piece of equipment and give it to a thrift store. It's not one of the commonly found types - a recumbent bike is what I did in physical therapy and what I do (when I do) at the gym. But I'll gladly provide a home to this new toy, which I plan to ride while watching television. My goal is to work up the time to a full hour!

Yesterday at the gym while doing the arm cycle, I looked down at my legs and noticed that my left thigh is different! There is a section of flab missing (unfortunately still present on the right). It'll be a long time before my legs look great, but it's the first sign of anything happening, so I'm pleased. :banana:

That's similar to the one I just got, but all the stationery ones I've come across are only slightly inclined back. I suppose the term bent is short for recumbent. Anyway, it's a great bike, quiet, and the only thing wrong is figuring out how to get the display to work. I need to remove the plate on the back and see if there is a battery in need of replacement.

I joined Sparkspeople and everydayhealth yesterday. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the two sites, but they offer suggested workouts and menus tailored to your goals and have exercise and nutrition journals which calculate calories consumed and burned and show you how many calories you have left in your daily budget. I was actually under by 290 calories yesterday not including the estimated 574 calories burned through exercise. The only activities my watch won't give me a calorie count on are water based, because the sensor on the chest strap isn't guaranteed to be water proof. Today's total burned should be quite a bit higher, because I only got 45 minutes in last night.

My friend of 37 years stopped by a little over an hour ago to drop off some garden fresh vegetables and said she could see a difference, not being aware of my recent fitness kick.

36 minutes treadmill, 5 arm cycle, 5 elliptical, 3 variety of crunches, land based P.T., stretching.

I think I'm getting a caffeine withdrawal headache. I gave up diet Mountain Dew (and all other sodas) last Saturday around 7:00 p.m.. I'm debating making a coup of tea, but it's one in the morning! :)

I ended up having a cup of green tea. It's strange to think it's been a week now. The book on nutrition I have out says having dark chocolate is good, at least 70% cocoa. I think I could eat chocolate for the caffeine lol. Actually, I'll probably stick to the odd cup of tea every so many days.

Went to class today. The official name is now Total Body Blitz, but it's really pretty much the same as Boot Camp. Todd (the trainer who is teaching the class all the time now) was having fun. When I got up to the aerobics room everyone was running around the perimeter. It turned out to be follow the leader and we had to do what he did. I found I can't skip either. :) I was also lapped. Then he went out the door, down the stairs, across the gym, around the basketball court, back across the gym and up the stairs. I did best trying to jog (managing to keep at it without stopping) but I was much slower and by the time I got back to the room they were taking a water break. Oh well.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to do short jogs on my street or at the school track, setting a landmark which I must pass before I can take a walk, in the manner of interval training.

My training log is missing, along with my 1/2 gallon water bottle. I hope the house coughs them up soon, because I like filling the bottle and freezing it, especially for a hike. But I'm making notes on my activities and food and then I can transfer the info once it does turn up.

I hit a bump on my path to fitness. Last night I fell in the driveway. It's rained hard and though it didn't look muddy, the ground slid underfoot. I've hot a swollen area the size of my two hands and a large hematoma on top of that. At least it's not a couple inches closer to the inside leg - that was injured previously and still has internal scar tissue which causes a bulge visible to the naked eye. I went to the doctor to make sure nothing serious was injured which might get worse if unattended. They took a couple of x-rays and sent me home with pain killers and said to ice it down for a couple of days.

So yesterday I only got 15 minutes of cardio on the exercise bike.

The left leg is getting a vacation for a few days, but I'll work the right leg on the machines (it's the larger and non-dominant one and needs more work). And it's time to play in the water. I'll hit the water aerobics class tonight.

Lynette, my dear girl - this is the second time by my count that you've hurt yourself during this process. Doesn't that perhaps tell you that you just may be over-doing it a bit? It might be wise to back off the extreme regimen you are putting yourself through and slow down a little before you do yourself permanent harm.

I'm only speaking as someone in a similar spot who cares what happens to you! You've come so far already - don't lose it all to an injury that might lay you up forever.

Okay, going back to minding my own $#%%^ business......:welcome:

P.S.: Was trying to put my own situation into perspective today and came up with an interesting analogy: When I was at my very heaviest and least fit, by the excess weight I had on my frame, I was carrying around a good-sized full-grown man on my back in addition to my own weight. Nowadays I am merely packing around a 90-pound weakling.....

Actually, Sunday's fall was just me popping over to visit my niece and had nothing to do with exercise. The rule my doctor uses is "If it hurts, back off!". This is not the kind of pain that goes with muscle use, but a more intense and localized pain. I've been doing this all along. When the ankle hurts after 5 minutes on the treadmill, I switch to something else. I also back off on speed to see if the discomfort changes any.

I did go to the water aerobics class and was just fine. Then I did 15 minutes of water physical therapy, followed by a .5 mile swim. Water is great when you're injured, because it takes the stress off the joints, so I plan to do much of my exercise this week in the pool.

My doctor says that I can be back to the regular activities in less than a week at most, assuming that all goes well. I've been keeping him posted on the activities and nutrition and getting any potential injury checked out immediately to ensure that no serious damage has been done, and that activity won't cause further injuries.

Meanwhile, I've dropped another 3.3 pounds since last Thursday! :welcome: Well, I expected this to be a good week, because the monthly curse with it's attendant water retention will be past.

Didn't mean to stick my nose in, Lynette, and I'm so happy that you are checking with your doctor and all. Mine flat out told me to "stay off my foot" until the wretched thing healed up, but it's been months and well, I didn't hear anyone volunteering to walk to the bathroom for me LOL. Lost weight in spite of not being able to follow my walking plans and I'm well aware some of it was just that I felt so rotten I didn't want to eat. Not to mention what the repeated courses of antibiotics have done to my lower regions....Anyway, I am so glad that you are in fact taking care of yourself, Lynette.

And jumping for joy - well, metaphorically speaking LOL - over your continued weight loss!! :welcome:

Got to the gym late, because I had a 4:00 appointment. As I was changing my shoes the Simpsons were on and there was a great quote:

"No one gains 30 pounds of bone."

I did the usual weight machines, but on 4 of the 6 leg machines I only did the right leg , which made me feel a little silly. The leg press machine I won't even bother with next time - one legged just doesn't work! I did a half hour PT and exercises from water aerobics, followed by .5 mile swimming. Then I remembered I might have overnight guests (which aren't coming til tomorrow after all), and called it a night.

I was going to skip the pool to rush home to watch television, only to remember that the translator box died with Sunday's power outage.

The leg felt fine, except when I got to close to the pad on one of the machines with my shin, and when I "ran" in place in the water. I'll continue to take it easy with weights and bending motions. Being on hands and knees is out of the question for a little while. It looks far worse than it feels.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a busy week! I've been active on Sparkpeople and have been trying to organize a group hike each weekend. I don't know whether anyone will show up for this Sunday's hike or not. I invested in a set of ankle braces to ensure my ankles have all the support I can get, but I think that my hiking boots may be a little small - apparently the fallen arches made the feet longer; the guy at the outdoor store suggested putting the arch supports in the boots.

I've been reading books on nutrition, overeating, and exercise. I've worked out every day, except last Sunday. I did a hike last Saturday up a trail I did more than once as a kid, only the trail was completely different! Different trailhead off a different road. Well it's been over 30 years, and I guess they rerouted it to an area with more parking, but it followed a steep gravel road instead of going through the meadow and up along the stream, losing much of the charm in the process. By the time I got into what seemed like the original trail, it was time to turn back.

The knee/shin is still swollen and painful to kneel on (so I don't!). It's one big bruise, from below the knee cap to the ankle, and down below the ankle, but most of the discoloration is just the hematoma draining into surrounding tissue. I've been amazed just how awful it looks - usually you see someone with bruising like that on a news story after some major accident, not a simple slip in the mud. I've been doing a lot of swimming as my main exercise.

I'm a big fan of the new exercise bike - I spent 30 minutes on it and burned 600 calories!

Lynette, if you can scrape up the money, the very best orthotics we've found are footbeds made by Birkenstock; they turn practically any pair of shoes or boots into Birkies! I hiked the Panhandle Trace this past Spring with them, and looking forward to doing it again next year. Also, our feet to spread and get longer & wider as we age, especially so if we have or have had weight issues; so get boots that fit! Our favorite outdoor suppliers include polyresin "rock" jumbles to climb up & down when trying on hiking boots. Good wool blend (NOT cotton) socks will keep your feet cushioned & dry, and Body Glide is an anti-chafing product cyclists use that also helps prevent blistered feet & toes. None of these things are cheap, and all will last quite a long time.