Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

I was really distressed about how I was going to lose it. I was exercising and I had cut out the junk food but the scale never waivered. I was actually contemplating weight loss surgery. Not a bad thing but I have been cut open enough..I wanted to try and do this the old fashioned way.

Blisters, Sweat, and Tears! I have a friend that went with me on Saturday to the gym and we have 2 other friends that want to join in. These are not like Ana and Donna. They actually came to the gym to work out. hehehe

It is still in the 20s here and today it is snowing. It will be awhile until I start walking outside.

Heidi, somehow I missed your earlier post about your new regimen. Way to go! :) Your are doing great. I've only done the stairmaster 2 or 3 times for 5 minutes, so my hat is off to you. You might want to invest in a pair of gloves for working with the weight machines. I found that I was getting callouses on my hands and was afraid they'd go to blisters when I wasn't paying attention. The gloves give you a better grip and your hand doesn't get sweaty. I use them when I'm on the rowing machine too, because I've had a similar problem.

The foods you are avoiding all have a high glycemic load, I don't know if your source used that term or not, but it might be worth reading more about. The hormone reference rang a bell. Last August, I read Master Your Metabolism by Gillian Michaels. She had messed up hormones, which isn't hard to do. Everything from BPAs in the plastic lining in your canned foods, chemicals creating benzene in soft drinks, antibacterial soap combining with chlorine in tap water creating chloroform (or maybe it was something similar, I need to check), chemicals from pesticides, genetically modified food - it's mind boggling! It was while reading that book that I went cold turkey off of Diet Mountain Dew and other soft drinks. I think you'll find it interesting.

I signed up today for a virtual 5k challenge, so I'm in training for something other than to fit into the seat of the roller coaster without being squeezed! I'd thought about trying a 5k someday, but I'm so slow and the idea of 3.1 miles was daunting. But on the Biggest Loser, they always put the final 4 contestants through a marathon, and 3.1 miles is a lot more doable if you stack against 26.2 miles. We're supposed to participate in an organized event, if possible, or do it on your own sometime between April 6-10. Then everyone logs in their times and sees how they did, there are even prizes!I signed up for the walk/jog category, which I think I can handle by then. I skipped straight to week 2 training, because I was able to go for 90 seconds at a run (well for me it's a run :) )

The term for this training program is called C25k (couch to 5k). If the local branch of the group isn't having a 5k event, I'll do my own on the track I first went running on for the first time- 5 miles without batting an eye nearly 31 years ago. It will be returning to the scene of the crime! And I'll invite my friends and family to come (and participate (evil laugh))!

DH got into running a few years ago, in his mid-60s, and ran 5k events for a few years. He stopped because to do any better he was going to have to run daily, and I have ankle issues and now tendonitis in all the joints of my right leg, so I don't run (I do hike), and couldn't run with him.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to train for a virtual 5k (everyone runs on their own, then posts their times) as a challenge, and it is proving to be just that- a challenge. I signed up for the jog/walk and I think there will be more walk than jog, but I'll do my best. The problem is the pain in my right ankle. It's not a bad pain, it's just I don't want it to get big and I'm uncertain whether to try pushing it or not. I've got some compression ankle braces which I use when doing high impact stuff, and a set of stirrups for uneven surfaces. The next step is the podiatrist to see about orthodics (yes, real ones, Holly!).

I've been running down my dead end street (.2 mile), walking 3 or 4 times for 50 feet. I think I will add this run in multiple times a day (I love the calorie burn and it's lingering aftereffect), in place of a second workout at the gym.

Hmm... I was just adding a spur on my route taking in another smaller side street. The .2 mile is one way, which makes feel a lot better about my time!

When DH started running 5k races I tried running with him and immediately ended up in the neighbors' front yard, rolling back down into the street. I have weak, wobbly ankles (ever since childhood) that took to giving out on me in my 20s. I can run, I just never know when the darned things are going to fold and down I go! So I walk.

I lost the last of the extra weight from eating all those deliscious oyster poor boys in NOLA from walking 5+ miles every day in soft Gulf Coast sand last week. This Thursday we're headed to Torreya State Park to camp and hike the 15+ miles of steepheads and ravine trails for a week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been walking regularly again - late at night, when the streets are quiet. Since my car accident, I haven't been able to do proper exercise, so walking is my only option. I do about half an hour, at a brisk pace. My ankles are the only reason I don't walk for longer than that. :)

• 2 months later...

Take it from me, it is very difficult to concentrate on the how-to-operate fitness equipment lecture when it's being given by a delectable 30-something e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. well-built and good looking male. I had to keep reminding myself to watch the machine and not the muscles. :groucho: :giggle:

I just signed up for a year of torture at a new fitness center. Everything's starting to head south and I hope to at least slow down the progression, and get a bit of strength back. Mr. Eye Candy is going to create a fitness program for me, which I'll pick up on Friday. As of Monday, the anti-sofa spud campaign begins. I can't really believe I'm doing this. :yikes:

Eye-candy is just that - for the eyes only. No harm in looking! (You lucky duck.)

Sounds like great motivation to get yourself out the door, and in the gym. ;) Hope he is your trainer. :thumb:

I have survived two workouts, barely. And I haven't even gotten to the leg machines yet. Tonight I tried the treadmill. After carefully answering all its weight, age, etc., questions, I started walking and was ready to keel over at 2 minutes of walking 2 mph while next to me a woman was running her machine to death. The upper body machine that requires lifting weights above your head??? Maybe in my next lifetime. The trainer who was there tonight, very nice disgustingly fit young woman, suggested using dumbbells and stretchy ropes instead. Only problem is those little darlings live in front of a floor to ceiling mirror. And you know how wonderful we look under florescent bulbs, right? Just reminding myself it gets easier, but tomorrow's gonna be painful. :ohyeah:

• 2 months later...

Merci! I'm taking it slowly, but I've moved up one level of weight on all but one of the muscle machines, can do two complete circuits of them without collapsing. I'm still at 10 lbs on the overhead lift, but I can do 15 lifts now, compared to 2-3 when I first started. Walking longer on the treadmill and pedaling more on the bike. I thought I'd lose interest quickly, but I actually look forward to going.

'Way back when I had a gym membership (30 years ago!) I went four times a week and really looked forward to it! because by the time I was done I was physically warmed up and after listening to the other people whining and moaning it was fun to get back to the craziness of working in and running a bookstore.