Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

We're prepping the Little House on the Highway for a week of padddling and hiking starting this weekend.

That sounds so nice, I'll remember that when people start wondering where you are :D Canoes are not a great mix for DH and I, the size difference is enough that it's a real balance issue. Think tightrope walking. I'm working on getting him to try his own kayak, I think he'd do better and have more control that way.

We are putting the final details into our June hike on South Manitou Island, nice 'terra firma' for us! lol

I LOVE my kayak! I'm anxious to see if the tai chi helps with the wobbly feeling I get in the canoe; after a week of focussing just on initial stance & balance I can put britches on standing up without holding onto a wall or counter.

Hey all, I'm back at it this week. last week was "recovery week" in the program which means it was mostly cardio. but it was also recovery week for me because after the accident the seatbelt really hurt me and i just wasn't feeling up to anything so I dont feel so bad about it.

Tracy, i tried core synergistics on sunday and it was so hard! i dont like it at all! lol good thing its only during the the recovery weeks. I have back and biceps today.

• 1 month later...

So i completed week 6 and then i kinda stopped doing the p90x but somehow still managed to keep losing weight over the 2 months i was off it, im down 38 lbs since 1/1/12! restarting p90x from the beginning today.

• Like 1

...today it's back on plan and I'm making a very healthy grocery list. I know it works and I felt great when I was on track, I think I need to learn to crochet while on the eliptical :p
I have to sit to do crochet. When I had a standard 2-wheel single bike set up as an exercise bike Iwe had a C-band with digital decoder and I used to put it on either a nature channel or travel whilst I rode it.

The ellipticals have tv at my gym. Howev, my trainer gave me strict instructions for my time on the elliptical -- intervals of 4 mins at a good clip and 1 minute of flat out the bear's gaining on you speed -- so I doubt I'll be watching much tv for a while. Too busy just staying upright.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been reading about the cycling issues on this thread.

Until I got my license at the age of 24, I rode a bicycle all over the northern half of Florida both out of necessity and for fun. From 1990 to 1999 I had been hit 9 times by motorists. The last one broke enough bones that I got a large enough settlement to buy my first motorcycle. I have found that moving at the same speed as traffic and having the additional power to get out of the way make a world of difference when avoiding accidents. Of course, riding a motorcycle offers no obvious health benefits, but the cycling was murder on my acid reflux and wore out my knees way too early. It also makes a difference when looking for a job that pays more than minimum wage.

Back then I averaged over 12,000 miles a year, riding 7 days a week. I barely weighed over 100 lbs. (I've been 6' since age 12) until I spent a year traveling with my mom in her 18 wheeler after college. When I got back to Gainesville, I weighed over 180 lbs. That is, until I got my bike out of storage my first day back. I lost the extra 80 lbs. within 2 months from riding. I averaged 34 miles a day and was pulled over for "speeding" several times. I was able to refute most of them with my digital speedometer, but I was slightly over on a couple of occasions.

BTW, of the few people who stopped after hitting me (most didn't) they either claimed they didn't see me, or that they thought they didn't have to yield to bicyclists in the roadway.

DH & I have had some adventures riding our tandem bikes, but the only time I was ever hit by a car we had dismounted to cross a narrow county road to head back home and were waiting for the car to pass. Turned out it was a little old man who had just gotten out of the hospital, was legally blind & had been told by his doctor not to drive any more, but who was "just going into town to buy a Sunday paper". I saw that he was headed straight for us (we were well off the road on the verge) and we ran as fast as we could with the bike to get on the other side of a power pole. I got smacked on the right hip by his fender and DH used his best paradeground USMC voice to get the old man to stop, another passing motorist called 011, the trooper got his license and the paramedics made sure I had no broken bones. The places best for road riding are between and North of Lake City and Live Oak, since everyone is used to the Suwanee Bicycle Association riders, which are headquartered in White Springs.

I'm still working away at my water pilates class and have now added a second water one that is strictly aerobics and cardio.

Hoping to get these old bones moving better, feel better and look better.

It's hard to stay motivated when I hurt so much but I'm going one class at a time.

• 3 months later...

After a week off from going to the gym, I'm dreading the pain of it all today. I'm hoping the water is warmer today than it usually is so I can enjoy the water benefits without shivering.

Since I lasted posted, I had added an upper body workout with the nautilus style machines to increase my upper body strength. I have kept the water pilates class and the aerobics and cardio water class as well.

But this past week, I didn't have babysitters available at those times so I only did one trip for the machine work and the rest of the week I did home created versions !!! hahahahaha

So here was this week's workout: hand weights esp. for those pesky triceps (aka bat wings), an over the door bungee pulley system and then the pièce de résistance, moving tons of furniture, building a room divider, re-painting a bedroom, creating a new craft area for the kids and beginning the process of reorganizing my studio (lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng ways to go - my goal there is to have it done in time for the Spring Fling announcement).

Slightly different routine but I'm lame none-the-less.

• 4 months later...

I see that no one is exercising anymore? Maybe I will have to wake this thread up! I TRY hard to walk at least for a half hour every morning out here in the desert.
Its a challenge to walk on rough dirt paths with rocks and cactus. I see snakes, prairie dogs, coyotes and other crittors while I walk with my 95 lb Chow.
I am heading out now.....have a nice day! Take a walk!!!! :p

I'm still faithfully attending my water aerobics classes and going to the work out gym.

The water classes work best for me because I can't do impact work on the ground due to my knee conditions.

I still do my hand weights at home and am hoping I'm closer to being strong enough to have my surgery sooner.

That's the driving force for me - to get ready for my knee replacements (both knees).

I stopped posting because no one else seemed to be adding anything and I felt a little foolish.

I miss swimming!!! There's not much water in northern New Mexico! I agree that water exercise is the best and easiest on your body. I just took my walk but Diesel pooped out on me and was home in the garage waiting for me! Its a bit hot out there in the sun already. :)

I used to swim a lot when I lived in Georgia and had access to a great pool on campus. It's such a great workout!

I've been a runner for 15 years now, and I've been doing yoga for a while. Lately, when work gets frustrating, I take out my aggression on a heavy bag in the basement. Learning to punch correctly and with power has been really liberating!

• Like 1

I like walking and we try to get out to the local lake on the weekends. It's a 2.5 mile walk around the lake with some easy hills and lots of scenery. I always relax when we go there and the dogs love it!

• 1 month later...

I lost 25 pounds, but have hit a plateau. I need some motivation so I don't fall back into my old hahits again! I actually need to lose about 25 more and do a lot of strengthening. Anyone else on board?

Congratulations, and you can do it! You are really more than half way to your goal, because the hardest part is getting started. I also think it's important to look on ourselves with kindness. We tend to not see the progress because of the focus on the goal. Think about what the loss of this first 25 has done for you and your self esteem and focus on maintaining that good feeling. The rest will follow. :)

Stick to your regimen, ignore those old habits and find healthier ones (going for walks of a mile or more is one of my substitutes for snacking just before a nap); you'll slide down the plateau slowly, but surely. Remember the first big load of weight we usually dump is interstitial water. Be sure to drink straight water (not flavored) to maintain your normal fluid balance and flush out the fat.

I'm a dud right now. I missed my water classes in August because of no sitters for kiddos and the facility was closed for a couple weeks for pool repair work. Now I'm having a terrible time getting myself started again.

It's amazing how easy it is to get off track and how hard it is to stay on track. I was doing so great going regularly since last Sept. !!

Boo hoo hoo - shame on me.

My daughter is getting after me now because she's noticed that my balance and my walking have deteriorated significantly with just missing 6 weeks. Yikes. Hope to get my classes started there next week.