Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get in a walk yesterday; not as long as I would have liked because the right leg started to not want to work very well about 1/3 of the way through. Today it's errands around the local mall so exercise 2 days in a row!

Not much exercise yesterday except for the leg-stretch stops at the various visitors' centers along the way, but our friends showed up to go to supper with us and today we're making a day of touring Avery Island (and the McIlhenny Tabasco factory) and surrounding Cajun country, and generally faissons les bon temps rouller! Supper last night was at Prejeans and the food was magnifique. My friend & I had their grilled catfish fillets (blackened, actually) over white rice with a Thai chili sauce to curl the hair and a side of braised bok choy that needed just a touch of hot sauce to be parfait. Her man had crab cakes and mine had an eggplant piroghe filled with veggies and crawfish. One thing Lafayette has a reputation for is excellent food.

Holly, I think you meant laissez les bons temps roulez!

As for restaurants, try Café des Amis in Breaux Bridge, east of Lafayette, if you have a chance. It's our favorite in that area, plus Breaux Bridge is a cute little town.

I am heading out on the trails after I finish reading in here this morning. My allergies are bad and I suppose going out in the wind and dust isn't the best idea but I love my walk everyday. Even with all the aches and pains and allergies I feel better when I move!!

Cheering everyone on to keep movin and groovin!! :yes:

No, Kathie, I meant that WE were letting the good times roll (laissons)! (and my French teacher would have had a cow over the grammer, anyway). OK, nous laissons les bon temps roulez.

Oh,my word,ladies,y'all are wearing out my fingers looking up all those words on Google!LOL Can't say ya don't learn something new here every day!:D

Hi Roxy! I am so glad you are getting to enjoy your walks! I got my exercise in today by raking and working around the yard for several hours again this morning. I am so tired,but it is really starting to look like a yard again instead of the horrible mess Winter left it in! I will be out there again tomorrow,I guess. It would have been a great afternoon to go back out,but I just couldn't move anymore today!LOL I better go down the lane and check my mailbox,though,before it gets dark-that will count as a good short walk!:)

The festival is a music festival and it's almost entirely in French. The Canadian provinces of Quebec and New Brunswick are joining the state of Louisiana in providing the mysicians who are performing.

• 3 months later...

Have not done anu minis for a couple of months sadly as there is just too much work on with our remaining house renovation and garden which is large by UK standards and requires constant work. We're off to Amsterdam for a week's holiday, they have a tulip festival over there on at the moment and I want to get some specimens for my moon garden (all white flowers). And then off to Sissinghurst gardens for some ideas - they have a white garden there I want to look at. So much to do so little time :-)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

A pair of hand weights 3 pounds/ 1.36 kilos in conjunction with an overall stretching routine will burn calories and fat.  I used to use a book called Body Sculpting that I don't see anywhere online; my copy fell apart and eventually got lost.  Between my a-fib and meds I have almost no energy these days.  Just remember that muscle mass will weigh more than fat, but the smaller weights won't bulk you up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Formiddable said:

Oh thanks - that's great. I see they have some hand weights, so will check them out and will have a look around to see if I can find that book you mentioned. Thanks again.

Toning up is excellent for your health including bone density, but you probably already know that. Those thera band things are really versatile too - you know those giant elastic bands? There is a lot of information online on how to use them in different ways too. FYI I have been going to the gym for about 10 years or so now and I have not bulked up. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I've been walking about a quarter mile a day now with my little wheeled walker. This way I can sit down and rest and enjoy the surroundings if I get tired. And I have a new companion on these walks. The cat will follow me up and down the roads. She's a black cat, so it's official: I really am a witch now.

But it is kind of touching. Although the cat knows the way home, if someone drives by and stops to talk for ten minutes or so, she just sits down and waits for me.

The hubs found me a Nitro walker at one of our local Good Will stores that I use when we go to the Naval Air Museum and other places where we're going to be slow walking all day, so I can sit down when my knees and/ or hip give out.

I'm not yet to the stage where I need a mobility aid but my feet tell me they are happier walking the carpeted halls than on the cement sidewalks. Last year, my pedometer tells me, while living in my 3-bedroom home I averaged 770 steps per day. Makes me wonder if I got out of bed every day! So far this year, after moving into a retirement community, I have upped my average to just over 2,000 steps per day. Some days it tops 4,000 steps, especially on the days I prowl the halls leaving friendship rocks.

Also lost about 30 lbs. and doc took me off of one med and cut another in half after a recent blood test.  Like the song says, "I'm feeling good from my head to my toe."  😊

• Like 1

I started using a cane to help me maintain my balance and hold the falls to a minimum.  The wheeled walker is nice because it has a seat and a nice-size bag to hold a book or needlework, and I rarely need or use it, but it sure is nice to have when my knees or hip start cramping and not wanting to work right.  Once I get my  new pacer I expect improvement in my stamina; I just wish the darned things actually WORKED for the ten years I was told they were "good" for; this will be my third in less than 16 years.  I guess the manufacturers don't expect people to continue to want to hike, bike' paddle, etc, after getting a pacemaker?  Sorry, the pacer is so we can keep on doing these things! instead of curling up and dying.

I told my doctor I wish I could get my boobs lopped off. He couldn't believe what he was hearing and I said, "Well, you told me to lose weight. That would be 50 pounds right there!"

I'm not bragging; I'd really like to lose these things. It's one of the reasons my back is so bad and why it's so hard for me to walk these days. At any rate, when I get some D batteries, I plan to take my boombox out to the shed where my Gazelle is parked and I'll work on that to some music as well as walking. The cat will enjoy it too. She loves prowling my shed. Why, I have no idea. But everyday when we start our walk, she starts to the shed first and I have to tell her I'm not going there today.

She's sleeping on my bed now. For a cat that isn't mine, she's sure made herself to home.

10 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

For a cat that isn't mine, she's sure made herself to home.

No doubt she is feeling magnanimous for permitting you to sleep in her bed. :)  

10 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

" ... For a cat that isn't mine, she's sure made herself to home... "

Whatever the circumstances of her arrival in your life, there's clearly love between you.  She isn't yours, you aren't hers, tomayto, tomahto .... but you belong to each other.  Some things are just meant to be.

The bed on the other hand ... well, obviously, Kathie is correct - that would be hers.  😉 

Edited by Shy Spirit
Forgot to agree with Kathie regarding the bed.

Kathie, I'd feel happier about it if she didn't sleep right in the middle of the bed. I only have a twin bed and she takes up half of it!

It's raining today and she was in, out, in, out the entire morning because I finally shut the door and turned the heat on. I put the outside table against my window and now when she wants in, she'll stand on the table with her front legs against the window when I'm on the computer and you can see she's crying to come in - again. She acts as though she's been tossed out into the cold and hasn't had anyone pet her in years. It's actually only been minutes.

So then I had to go to the store and I decided to let her stay sleeping on the bed in the trailer by herself for the very first time. Two hours and when I came home, I don't think she even knew I was gone.

Rosalind, today that love was really put to the limit. Honest, it's like having a small child. I'm about out of patience, besides, she killed a bird yesterday. This does not make me feel loving towards her. I'm now calling her Birdbreath again.

I'm also peeved because I didn't walk today. I do draw the line walking in a downpour.

Edited by rodentraiser